Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 5 Premium problems opening projects
Will [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 23, 2006 23:47 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Seems like "RichVideo" is the only one possible feature which may break the source file.

Maybe you can try to turn off this feature

Edit-->Preference-->General-->RichVideo(Disable both items)

Will
jisbister [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2006 00:14 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
I recently added the three new patches that Cyberlink provided, was it late October or early November? Ever since, I haven't been any to open any old or in progress projects! I decided to uninstall everything and reinstall - but NOT reinstalling the new patches - and everything's back to normal, i.e., working!
Persch [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2006 02:14 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Don't know if this will help anyone, but I had a 'Broken File' and it turns out that the last changes I made (changing the colors of a few background color clips) became corrupted my .pds file. I was able to recover by editing the file in notepad and finding some 'wierd', non-ascii characters in the file and correcting (actually looked like japanese characters in the .pds file).

They were on the COLOROBJECT lines within the COLORSLOT section of the file and in the PARM NAME section of the clips in question.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2006 04:03

Mike [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2006 17:25 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

I've been working on a video project for hours and now am getting the apparently widely-known error "file broken".

This is the second time I have spent hours working on a video project only to have it do this. Fortunately, I decided to google the error which got me to this page.

While I do appreciate the workarounds that are in great supply (No disrespect at all... They all make sense...), I think it is ridiculous that a program selling for $99 cannot reliably SAVE A FILE. This is very, very basic. This isn't a resource issue; (I'm running this on a server class machine with 1.5 GB of memory, P4 Processor, 512MB video memory, etc...) this is simply an example of a poorly written piece of software. I do not believe that it is a sellable workaround to slow down so that the software can keep up.

I hope to see a patch addressing this core issue that has been open for a very long time.

Haskew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2006 00:49 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
All -
I have been experiencing the problem with "broken file" as well, luckily this forum was crucial in my being able to repair my .pds file and continue working.

My file was corrupted like the previous post, the colorobject and the video_user_ori_filename had what appears to be inserted spaces for the "RG" letters. The "Value" should be VALUE = "RGB (0,0,0)"

I was able to quickly find them all by doing a search on (0,0,0)

What triggered my corruption, I believe, were some new captured video files from my Sony Digital Handycam, after I inserted them into my project, bam, the file was corrupt. I was able to duplicate this with a new project by first inserting old video files, saving, then trying to re-open, then repeat with the new video files. As soon as I used the new ones, it was corrupt, although once I fixed it, it seems to be saving correctly.

I will pass this on to support at cyberlink, hopefully they will have a patch for this soon. Thanks for all the help, hopefully this will help as well.
Frederik [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 12, 2007 09:25 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Well I have tried all of this, renaming my files to shorter names and placing them all in the same directory, then changed all the addresses within the pds-file to their new location, even corrected the 'RGB'-value someone else proposed on this forum ànd did all the updates and patches available and still I can't open my previously working pds... This is getting tiresome after hours and hours of hard work. So there isn't any easy way of repairing a pds file, is there?
Haskew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2006 00:49 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but basically there is no easy fix. I had a completely new project I was working on, it corrupted, I did all the usual tricks and still had to scan almost line by line looking for the "strange characters" till I found the ones causing the issue. I am really disappointed in this version of the product.
Persch [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2006 02:14 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Frederick, if you winzip your .pds file and attach it to a response to this thread, I will have a quick look at it to see if I can spot anything. Obviously can't promise that I will find anything, but happy to have a look.
Frederik [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 12, 2007 09:25 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Your help is very appreciated, but I've redone the project in the meantime, saving each step under a different name, and everything seems to be working fine now. I've been having a problem producing a file now, but that's stuff for another thread