Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 5 Premium problems opening projects
Valdivieso [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 12, 2006 18:08 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I've used all versions of PD. I was very, very happy, until I got to the Premium version. After a lot of problems, finally Support sent me a new download file, which it worked. Started new projects, worked on them various times. Today, I worked on the projects, saved and tried to open them later, and get a message "archivo interrumpido" (this is in spanish since I live in Chile) literal translation would be "interrupted" which doesn't mean anything to me... guess means something like corrupted?
Anyway.... can anyone help me... I installed the suggested patch and then the program doesn't open at all, not the file... the program!!!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 15. 2006 10:12

Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
Which build number of your PDR5 premium?
You can check your build number from "Help"\about Cyberlink PowerDirector"
I think you should not install that patch.
Because I checked the cyberlink website, the patch is for PowerDirector 5 build number before 1227.
The latest PDR5 premium build version is 2112.
(I used this version)

Valdivieso [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I am using the 2112 version.... I unistalled everything and reinstalled, but still can't open the projects made in this version.
Valdivieso [Avatar]
[Post New]
The error in English reads, "file broken"... why is the program "breaking" the files? I suppose it is the same a corruptedd? I need to fix this problem, since I will be working fine and one of a sudden the program "breaks" the files and loose all my work!!!! Please some one help me!!!!
Justin1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 13, 2006 22:56 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
The same thing happened to me last night - except it was the English version. i've written to the support team and am awaiting their response. I've been happy with the product so far, but this is really not good. I've lost so many hours of work!
Valdivieso [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Justin, I also wrote tech support yesterday and still waiting for their answer, which will share with you. Let me know any news.
Justin1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Will do. I saw in an earlier post from a couple of months ago by Dafydd - I think it is - that Cyberlink was supposedly releasing a patch. I hope that comes soon, as it means until that happens Power Director is not a reliable product!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 15. 2006 10:13

Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
You can provide the pds file to cyberlink support.
It helps cyberlink to solve this bug.
Valdivieso [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks Daisuke, I'll do so and wait for a reply
Valdivieso [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cyberlin support SUCKS!!!!!.... I got a whole bunch of dumb answers like corrupted files cant be opened, pds projects dont contain files (which I know)..l. but no solutions to the program corrupting the files/projects!!!!
does anyone have a solution/suggestion on why can it be that the files are being corrupted? So far I got two of them, the only two I have created in this incredible new version of PD5 Premium
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Cyberlin support SUCKS!!!!!.... I got a whole bunch of dumb answers like corrupted files cant be opened, pds projects dont contain files (which I know)..l. but no solutions to the program corrupting the files/projects!!!!
does anyone have a solution/suggestion on why can it be that the files are being corrupted? So far I got two of them, the only two I have created in this incredible new version of PD5 Premium

Hi,

I've been reading these above postings and see you've been given some assistance. e.g. telling you that you shouldn't of installed a patch etc for a latest version!!!!!

CyberLink tech support can only help from the information supplied - if you are with holding or have presented information in a confused manner then you'll get less help because data can be misinterpreted.

A pds file can be opened in a text editor (just make sure you do this correctly and untick the "always" option) and you can look through the file to check the addresses of the document. A pds file is a finder file...it locates the data and opens the program. I see no reason why you cant look in your pds (a copy of the pds file) and to see if there is something you can spot which is wrong.

Instead of bemoaning the first assistance given...look to provide additional information. Write it in a manner of bullet points and explain the action you're taken. this is important... to be understood you have to be logical in your approach and to providing data.

I will monitor the situation before I refer anyone to CyberLink.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 15. 2006 14:28

Justin1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi all

I got a response yesterday too, as per below.

"We understand your concern related with project file.

PLease note that PDS is a PowerDirector project file. It does not save/includes any video, audio or pictures used in the Project. This file contains only details about the editing done by you in original file and location path of the files used.

PDS file will only open if all video, audio or picture files you used in the project are at the same location. If files used in project are moved, renamed or deleted, Project will not open.

Also if you have a broken/currupted .pds file then it will not open in PowerDirector. "

In my case, I didn't install any patch, or move any files. I litterally closed my project one moment, and when opening it again shortly thereafter - it didn't work. Having said that, my PD does crash from time to time.

As per Dafydd's suggestion to save under a different name each time, I am doing that now, but it is a bit of a pain. I don't do that under Word or Excel, so I would think I don't need to do that under PD either...
Valdivieso [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd
Look, I am sorry about yelling at Cyberlink support. My problem starts as follows.
I upgraded from PD5 Deluxe to Premium. Had problems with the program and finally it worked with tech support providing a new built for PD5 Premium, the 2112.
It worked fine, started various projects, worked, saved, worked, saved and so far everything went well. After doing this, a couple of days of working, and doing no changes to computer, the pds projects I had been working on, didn't open receiving the message of "file broken". This is my problem. Aparently the program corrupts the files at a certain point.
Any suggestions? I know there is nothing I can do to fix this files, since they are corrumpted, so I lost all my work. What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again? Yes, one option is saving with different names every time, and hope that one of them doesn't get corrupted, but so far, all of them have been corrupted. I will appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Valdivieso [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd
I am attaching the pds file in the format you told me... There is no way I can understand what it reads, hope you with your experience can do it.
Thanks again, you have been the only one suggesting something.
P.D the file is compressed.
 Filename
Trailer1.rar
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
59 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
106 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 15. 2006 18:37

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Dafydd
I am attaching the pds file in the format you told me... There is no way I can understand what it reads, hope you with your experience can do it.
Thanks again, you have been the only one suggesting something.
P.D the file is compressed.

I have two basic actions I want you to carry out.

1. To carry out a simple test
2. To change some of the file names and source addresses you're using (after seeing the pds contents).

The Test:
1. open PowerDirector 5 Premium build 2112
2. Highlight and drag the Aquarium.mpg into the timeline.
3. save the project - name the file aqutest1.pds in the My Works directory
4. Close PowerDirector
5. Go to My Computer/Hard Drive/My Works/ and double click on aqutest1.pds to open the file and PD program.

Does this work?

Title and address changes:
You have one address which reads,
K:\Vero\2006 Agosto, San Pedro Atacama\MOV00551.MPG

My guess is you've a problem with "2006 Agosto, San Pedro Atacama" it is too long and the comma could be causing problems.

You have other source file addresses which are too long:
"L:\Mi música\San Pedro Atacama\San Pedro Atacama\02 Cacharpaya Del Pasiri.mp3"
There are many others in the pds I could pick out.

I'm only guessing but I would strongly recommend you gather together all your video, images and audio into one directory location within "My Works" and save the pds to that location. I would also recommend you are sensible with address file names...the longer they are the more problems you will make for the program to read. Keep the names of files short, keep the directory folder names short. Keep the file source address short.

Loosing your work:
You have unless you have the time to go through changing the addresses of all the files (and put the files in the new location) in the saved (copy it) pds project file.

Dafydd

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Nov 16. 2006 06:11

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
As per Dafydd's suggestion to save under a different name each time, I am doing that now, but it is a bit of a pain. I don't do that under Word or Excel, so I would think I don't need to do that under PD either...

Hi Justin,
Thank you for noting the save bit Justin, appreciated.
Two reason why you should save to a new file name (date and time them to ID the file).

1. It means you always have a point of fall back.
2. Over writing a file isn't the best way to save a file full of source addresses - easily get corrupted or... have what some are experiencing now and then you're .......

Some high end video editing software have built in save, this isn't always as useful as it seems especially when you want to go back etc. They have this because their software would also crash and burn at the wrong moment! Auto-save isn't part of PD's make up.

Dafydd
Valdivieso [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi... It has been so nice to wake up and find a response that means something... Thanks... I will make tryouts with you suggestions next week, since I will be out of town... Promise I will get back to you.
Thanks again
Valdivieso [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd, I dit the test you suggested and it worked. I will follow your suggestion regarding the name of files and location. I hope this will work. I wil start my projects again with your recommendation of file names and location.
Thanks a lot. Hope it works.... Thanks for the PM. I will keep this in mind. You cheered up my day.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I look forward to reading the results...

Dafydd
Will [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 23, 2006 23:47 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Seems like "RichVideo" is the only one possible feature which may break the source file.

Maybe you can try to turn off this feature

Edit-->Preference-->General-->RichVideo(Disable both items)

Will