Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ISO Playback
WKO [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 09, 2014 23:58 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Should ISO's play back in cinema mode . Does not on my system .. Gives error to switch back to classic mode. This is a trial version before I upgrade . Would love to see this work as an external player to media browser or kodi with out having to mount the iso with a different program...

Thx
Vindictor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2015 17:27 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased PowerDVD 15 Ultra this afternoon and have been trying it out this evening.

I just watched a film after ripping the ISO to the HDD to try it.

The issue I found is that once I quit PowerDVD it doesn't release the file properly and I can't delete it until I restart Windows!

If I attempt to delete it Windows informs me that the file cannot be deleted as it's still open in another program.

I came to the forum to see if anyone else had this issue and found your post. I loaded the ISO again and press play but the cinema mode icon was greyed out for me (I use Classic Mode most of the time, and generally switch to cinema mode only if watching a film).

I was definitely able to use Cinema Mode in previous versions if I mounted an image with Daemon Tools.... and because I'm unable to delete the ISO after quitting PowerDVD I think I'll just go back to using that, at least until it's fixed and Cinema Mode is also made available.
stewart_pk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2014 06:36 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I just purchased PowerDVD 15 Ultra this afternoon and have been trying it out this evening.

I just watched a film after ripping the ISO to the HDD to try it.

The issue I found is that once I quit PowerDVD it doesn't release the file properly and I can't delete it until I restart Windows!

If I attempt to delete it Windows informs me that the file cannot be deleted as it's still open in another program.

I came to the forum to see if anyone else had this issue and found your post.

Yes I've had this issue too. Report it to technical support if it's a big issue for you.
AslKaplan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 20, 2015 06:38 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD 15 rocks!!!! Tritons
Vindictor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2015 17:27 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, so many months have passed.
We've had updates, and during these months I'd gone back to using Daemon Tools to mount an ISO before playing, on the occasion I needed to.

I thought I'd see if after the most recent update the issue was fixed, whereby if you open an ISO with PowerDVD 15 and then quit, you can't delete the ISO because Windows says the file is still open.

It still hasn't been fixed.

I did contact tech support, I sent in screenshots, and detailed descriptions.

As far as I can tell, this is an entirely reproduceable issue? It does it for everyone?

My HTPC is currently running Windows 8.1 Pro x64. I haven't tried it on another system as I didn't want to risk using my key on more than one system at a time.

I'll go back to using Daemon Tools for now and maybe try again after Xmas. Or maybe I'll have to wait until PowerDVD 16 has released, and pay the upgrade to have that work?

It's not the end of the world really.
Daemon Tools does the trick.
I even reproduced the issue in Daemon Tools, if I quit Daemon Tools without first unmounting then I see the same error.

I told the PowerDVD tech support about that too.... it appears that when you quit PowerDVD it deletes its virtual drive, but without unmounting the ISO first.
That should be it! When the user quits, don't just remove the virtual drive, unmount it and then remove it.

I guess they have more important bugs to squish!

Happy viewing everyone!

EDIT: I just remounted the ISO to see if the other reported bug above had been fixed.... that Cinema Mode is greyed out and unavailable when using an ISO image. Nope, that hasn't been fixed yet, either. Whereas, of course, mounting an ISO in Daemon Tools and playing in PowerDVD does allow Cinema Mode, and also to delete the file after use. It also mounts a LOT quicker.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2015 18:05

stewart_pk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2014 06:36 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Under Windows 10 with the latest PDVD patch the issue of ISO file locking seems resolved for me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2015 20:20

hucky291158 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2015 05:54 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
By chance, I found a method to free the ISO from PowerDVD's claws: mount then unmount the ISO with another virtual drive utility, DaemonTools, PowerISO, or the likes.

Of course, this doesn't solve PowerDVD's bug, though.

Since you guys have far more experience with this SW than me, please have a look at my topic, you may come up with some solutions:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45524.page

I'm just trying to play ISOs without decryptors running, 1:1 ISO backups.

I have logged a ticket with Customer Support, but I'm just being ignored. My money were genuine, though...