Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Newbie-Made a movie, now what?
Laura [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 03, 2008 23:55 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I've been playing around with PowerDirector 7 (trial version) today. This is my very first attempt to do any kind of video editing (just got my first video camera.)

I know it's not perfect, but I'm happy with it for my first try!

But now I'm lost. I want to put it on my blog, that is restricted to just my family/friends. I do not want to use YouTube.

So....

I don't know what to do with the movie. I have it saved the file, but it is a pds file. I need it to be something else. ??? avi? mov? wmv? I'm not even sure.

Can you help a floundering newbie? I've been through the help files, and see that I can put it into a wmv file, but I can't find where it tells me how to do it.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Laura
[Post New]
If you want to upload the final movie to a blog site then find out how large the file is allowed to be for your site - 100Mb? , 500Mb?

Then go to the produce tab > Create streaming file>next>WMV Then use the drop down box to select the quality which will determine the size of the resulting file. A little experimentation may be needed to see what setting gets the results .. try a "broadband" quality for starters.

good luck
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Laura,
You could also produce your movie and then convert it to a flash file for upload.

Have a look on www.seemyworldonvideo.com for examples and also for resources under the Extras for Editors link that you might find useful.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Laura [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK...

Thank you. I did the file streaming, chose wmv as my file formatting, it went through and did it, I was able to push "play" in the little window, and it was fine...but where did it go? I can't seem to find the file anywhere so I can even check to see how big it is!

I feel like such a moron!javascript:emoticon('');

Help!

Laura
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Laura,

When you produce your movie to a file you went through 4 steps. When you get to step 3 (before you choose Render and move to Step 4) look at the top section of the window and you will see a file path and a small box with 3 dots.

Click on that and you will find a file selection menu with the file name defaulting to produce.xxx (xxx being whatever you have chosen as your file format, in this case wmv).

That will help you find where your rendered file is and will also allow you to choose a location and name for your next files.

Alternatively, Directors Chair/Edit/Preferences/Export Directory will also give you the default export location (as will Alt-C). You can change this if you want to a directory of your choice.
Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2008 12:48

Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Laura [Avatar]
[Post New]
Adrian,

Thank you so much! I could (almost) kiss you!!!!

I'm liking this program, there's just a learning curve for a video virgin like me! Thank you for being so patient.

I'm sure you haven't hard the last from me.

Oh, I do have one more, general question. I find that there are quite a bit of times that it seems to 'hang' for a few seconds before I can do another function (i.e. click/drag an effect to a pic, wait 5-6 seconds before I can click on another one for another pic.) Is that something with the program? Or my computer? A review I read said that 'pauses' were a problem with them, too.

Thanks again!
Laura
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Adrian,

Thank you so much! I could (almost) kiss you!!!!

Adrian,

Take The Kiss! Hahahaha.

Laura,

Welcome. I'm a relative newbie to this site as well, and have found that there are a lot of very kind and helpful folks here that really know their stuff. Take advantage of the search feature and you'll find many great tips and explainations of common questions one encounters when climbing the learning curve. Happy Editing! Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
vn800rider
[Post New]
Thank you Laura,
As many people find, video editing is a very intensive user of processing power and most hardware/software combinations have different characteristics - RAM, graphics processing and CPU performance all influence the way a program works.

I often have to wait whilst the program 'catches up', HD video takes much more processing than SD, my desktop media machine is better than my laptop etc.

I think the best advice is to work carefully, save often and maybe limit the use of large files where possible, maybe splitting your projects into smaller sections that you finally combine into your finished video as a last step.

A look round the forum will give you an idea of what other problems and solutions members come across.

Cheers
Adrian

Confucius