Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Am I the only one who felt deceived with PowerDVD14 not supporting Hardware-acceleration with H.265
Manni01 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2009 17:22 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

Full image: https://i.imgur.com/zpoOmkP.jpg

You were saying?

Interesting how a card supposed to not hardware decode h265 is having its frequency boosted to max and its activity over 90% when reading a h265 file, isn't it?

The movie used is http://www.libde265.org/hevc-bitstreams/bbb-3840x2160-cfg02.mkv , you can double check, it's definitely 4K H265.

To think that you are a "professional" is a vey scary thought . I'm glad I'm not one of your employers...

This screenshot is the very proof that your 290x doesn't have hardware acceleration when playing H265.

This is why the GPU is maxed up.

I never said you were not able play H265 file, or that the GPU wasn't involved in the process.

This is what I have been trying to explain to you from the beginning of our conversation, but the concept seems out of your grasp.

Take a deep breath, try to open your mind, and make the effort of reading what follows, trying to understand it. I haven't said anything different before, but I'll try to spell it out one last time.

When a GPU doesn't have any acceleration, the CPU is used and the GPU isn't used much.

When a GPU is used with hybrid acceleration (the case of your GPU), the load is transferred from the CPU to the GPU, which is why your GPU chokes at 96% under the load. The CPU, on the other hand, should have little load. This is when the driver, and software like OpenCL, handle the decoding. It's called hybrid because it's software accelration that uses the GPU (as a progammable processor) instead of the CPU to handle the decoding.

Full hardware accelration is when the GPU has decoding routines wired into the GPU itself. It doesn't provide better quality necessarily (usually not compared to excellent software renderers/scalers like MAdVR who would do the same as a hybrid support and often max the GPU to achieve the best possible quality), but it provides a performance boost, so that the GPU isn't maxed up like this (if your 290X had hardware accelartion, your GPU load would show something like 60% or less). This allows less powerful GPUs (like intergrated ones, or fanless discrete GPUs for HTPC) to handle the load.

This is my last attempt at trying to explain the difference between hardware acceleration (not expected on AMD until the 390X this summer) and hybrid acceleration (such as on your 290X).

If your 290X had hardware decoding acceleration, it wouldn't max up the way it does.

It was exactly the same when H264 arrived. You first had hybrid implementation to offload the CPU and make it possible to play a file on PCs with a weak CPU that couldn't handle it, then it was wired into the GPUs themselves to allow them to not max up doing it.

Please try to find a link showing that your 290X has hardware H265 decoding, and post it. Good luck with that.

Otherwise, try something simple: say I was mistaken, I stand corrected. There is no shame in that. We all learn something new everyday.

Have a good sunday.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Apr 26. 2015 09:43

[Post New]
Quote:
This screenshot is the very proof that your 290x doesn't have hardware acceleration when playing H265.

The GPU being used is the very definition of hardware acceleration by the graphic card... by the way, the GPU isn't "maxed up", the usage varies, it just happened to be at 96% on that screenshot. The card doesn't even heat, the fan is still at 20% which is the "idle" speed.

Quote: I never said you were not able play H265 file, or that the GPU wasn't involved in the process.
Haha nice twisting... clutching at straws? So it's not hardware accelerated because it actually uses the GPU? Tell me, when you're playing a video game and it uses your GPU, do you also say it's not hardware accelerated by the graphic card?

Cutting off the rest of your arrogant dribble, the personal attacks and the insults, but seriously... do you realize how ridiculous what you are saying sounds?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2015 07:25

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
Manni01 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

The GPU being used is the very definition of hardware acceleration by the graphic card... by the way, the GPU isn't "maxed up", the usage varies, it just happened to be at 96% on that screenshot. The card doesn't even heat, the fan is still at 20% which is the "idle" speed.

Quote: I never said you were not able play H265 file, or that the GPU wasn't involved in the process.
Haha nice twisting... clutching at straws? So it's not hardware accelerated because it actually uses the GPU? Tell me, when you're playing a video game and it uses your GPU, do you also say it's not hardware accelerated by the graphic card?

Cutting off the rest of your arrogant dribble, the personal attacks and the insults, but seriously... do you realize how ridiculous what you are saying sounds?

I give up . Some people never learn. I'll reply if you post a link confirming that the 290X supports H265 decoding hardware acceleration, which should keep you busy for a while as it doesn't. I only match my attitude to yours by the way.

Meantime, you might want to research - from other sources as you can't seem to be able to read or understand the way I attempted to explain it to you - the difference between hybrid acceleration and hardware acceleration.

I'll be nice and offer a starting point: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=208777

Good luck!

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Apr 26. 2015 08:54

[Post New]
Quote: I'll leave the thread now...

Quote: This is my last attempt ...

Quote: I give up .

For real this time?

Anyway, better do it before you make more ridiculous claims like "using the GPU isn't hardware acceleration"... My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
Manni01 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes for real

Still waiting for that link of yours
[Post New]
http://i.imgur.com/zpoOmkP.jpg

There you go, have fun. Sorry I had to repeat it for it to be understandable. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
Manni01 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: http://i.imgur.com/zpoOmkP.jpg

There you go, have fun. Sorry I had to repeat it for it to be understandable.

I understand that this is your own understanding of hardware decoding accelation, it's not just what the competent part of the industry calls it.

People who know what that is call it hybrid acceleration.

Don't you think that if the AMD 290X supported H265 harware decoding acceleration it would be listed in its specs or mentioned in its review?

Do you wonder why every single review of the nVidia 960 mention it as the first GPU to support H265 hardware decoding acceleration?

You can post that screenshot of your 290X choking under the load at 96%, it doesn't make your statement true.

Please post a THIRD party link to anyone vaguely knowledgeable (like a professional reviewer, preferably from a reputable outfit like Anandtech) or even a specs list from AMD listing H265 hardware acceleration as a feature on your 290X and I will say that I'm sorry, that I was wrong and that I stand corrected.

Meantime, enjoy your 290X and its hybrid h265 acceleration. It's much better than having no acceleration at all, at least most of the load is moved to your GPU, freeing your CPU for other tasks.

I said I gave up, but only if you stop posting misinformation.

From now on I'll just post "third party link to support your claim please", as this is getting old .

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 26. 2015 15:30

Derrek [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2014 17:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Here is a link that shows AMD will be having h.265 hardware decoding in their Carrizo chips to be released this summer.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amds-carrizo-processors-arrive-summer-revised-core-architecture-h-265-hardware-decode/

Paragraph of interest:
"Carrizo boasts a number of new, previously unavailable features. H.265 hardware decode is standard, giving the company an edge over Intel, which relies on software decode of H.265 in all its current chips. AMD’s own Mantle graphics API, along with DirectX 12, will be supported by the bundled Radeon graphics component. And the chip will be fully compatible with HSA 1.0, a graphics compute standard, which can provide a performance boost in compatible applications."
Manni01 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for this Derrek, maybe this will help our professional friend to see the light, although Carrizo is an integrated chip and we were discussing discrete GPUs .

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 26. 2015 16:44