Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhotoDirector problems.
Ant Dude
Newbie Location: An Ant Farm Joined: Sep 26, 2007 03:38 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Hello.

I got the free PhotoDirector files from http://www.windowsdeal.com/w/cyberlink-photodirector-5-100-discount/
... However, I am having problems with them in both of my old, updated Windows XP Pro SP3 and Mac OS X v10.8.5 machines. In Windows XP Pro SP3 machine, CyberLink_PhotoDirector5_Downloader.exe does not start
downloading. Its process hogs 100% of my CPU! In Mac OS X v10.8.5 machine, CyberLink_PhotoDirector_Ultra_5.0.5424.0_PTD150204-01.pkg installation went fine. However, running it crashes. Its crash dump report can be read in http://pastebin.ca/2975700 ...

Thank you in advance.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2015 01:46

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I downloaded the first 2 file okay. Ran the loader and saved the file, executed it and it ran fine on my pc with win7. The loader require you to browse to a chosen folder and hit okay. Then the downloading will start otherwise it just hang waiting.

Thanks for posting in the powerdirector forum. Glad to get it free.
Ant Dude
[Post New]
Quote: I downloaded the first 2 file okay. Ran the loader and saved the file, executed it and it ran fine on my pc with win7. The loader require you to browse to a chosen folder and hit okay. Then the downloading will start otherwise it just hang waiting.

Thanks for posting in the powerdirector forum. Glad to get it free.
Hmm, open file location button doesn't work for me.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Try the loader again. Click open file location. Windows explorer should open after a few seconds. You must select a folder on where to save by clicking on it. Then click the okay icon. Only then will then download. It is 224 meg. and takes a while to fully download.
Ant Dude
[Post New]
Quote: Try the loader again. Click open file location. Windows explorer should open after a few seconds...
I never get Windows Explorer. :/
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay check this link here: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/photodirector-suite/compare-phd5_en_US.html?&r=1 .photodirector 6 is not xp compatible. I don't know about the version 5. "OS Support Microsoft Windows 8.1/8/7, Vista". Do you have another computer with vista or higher to download it. That may be the reason why the downloader don't work on your xp computer.
Ant Dude
[Post New]
Quote: Okay check this link here: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/photodirector-suite/compare-phd5_en_US.html?&r=1 .photodirector 6 is not xp compatible. I don't know about the version 5. "OS Support Microsoft Windows 8.1/8/7, Vista". Do you have another computer with vista or higher to download it. That may be the reason why the downloader don't work on your xp computer.
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-requirements.do?ProductId=211&prodId=211&prodVerId=1040 says XP SP3 is supported. :/

I wonder installed product crashes in Mac OS X v10.8.5.
[Post New]
Hello Ant Dude and tomasc,

Welcome, each & both, to the PhotoDirector forum.

It would certainly appear that Windows XP SP3 is supported, even though it wasn't listed on the table tomasc linked. I have no way of testing that, as my PCs are Windows 7 & 8.1. I don't believe the OS is the issue here.

I've just downloaded and installed the free version of PhD5. If you look in the "About" dialogue, you'll see it's the HE version. That would typically mean it's not a full featured version, such as Ultra. In my brief workout with it just now, I haven't found what the missing features are, nor can I find reference to it on CL's site. That's by the by.

So far, in Windows 7, with everything I've tried PhD 5 HE has run like clockwork. I've only done basic importing, adjustment, exporting, and tried a few modules in Edit. It hasn't skipped a beat.

Ant Dude: Windows Explorer is just the main Windows interface. I'm sure you have it! laughing

I'd try an uninstall/re-install (after reboot) first to see whether that can correct the crashing issue.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Ant Dude
[Post New]
Quote: Hello Ant Dude and tomasc,

Welcome, each & both, to the PhotoDirector forum.

It would certainly appear that Windows XP SP3 is supported, even though it wasn't listed on the table tomasc linked. I have no way of testing that, as my PCs are Windows 7 & 8.1. I don't believe the OS is the issue here.

I've just downloaded and installed the free version of PhD5. If you look in the "About" dialogue, you'll see it's the HE version. That would typically mean it's not a full featured version, such as Ultra. In my brief workout with it just now, I haven't found what the missing features are, nor can I find reference to it on CL's site. That's by the by.

So far, in Windows 7, with everything I've tried PhD 5 HE has run like clockwork. I've only done basic importing, adjustment, exporting, and tried a few modules in Edit. It hasn't skipped a beat.

Ant Dude: Windows Explorer is just the main Windows interface. I'm sure you have it! laughing

I'd try an uninstall/re-install (after reboot) first to see whether that can correct the crashing issue.

PIX
Uninstall and reinstall in Windows? I can't even download! Yes, my XP's Windows Explorer works fine.
[Post New]
embarassed Well, that was silly of me! In "reading" your opening post, I messed up what was happening on your XP machine and the Mac. I can only apologise for not reading it properly.

In Windows XP Pro SP3 machine, CyberLink_PhotoDirector5_Downloader.exe does not start downloading. Its process hogs 100% of my CPU!

The CL_PhD_Downloader is a tiny .exe file of 0.98MB. Have you been able to download it yet? You said "open file location button doesn't work for me" which would seem to indicate that you have.

I'll contact CL to determine whether there are any compatibility issues with XP & the CL Downloader. I've not seen any previously reported.

Again, my apologies for misreading your issue.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Ant Dude
[Post New]
Quote: embarassed Well, that was silly of me! In "reading" your opening post, I messed up what was happening on your XP machine and the Mac. I can only apologise for not reading it properly.

In Windows XP Pro SP3 machine, CyberLink_PhotoDirector5_Downloader.exe does not start downloading. Its process hogs 100% of my CPU!

The CL_PhD_Downloader is a tiny .exe file of 0.98MB. Have you been able to download it yet? You said "open file location button doesn't work for me" which would seem to indicate that you have.

I'll contact CL to determine whether there are any compatibility issues with XP & the CL Downloader. I've not seen any previously reported.

Again, my apologies for misreading your issue.

PIX
Yep, running that EXE file launches CL downloader but nothing downloads.
[Post New]
Hello Ant Dude,

I've contacted CL about your issue with the downloader & will let you know the outcome (after the weekend).

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Ant Dude
[Post New]
Thanks Pix!

I found http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/events/enu/2015/Q1/PHD_Pratical-Photography/download.jsp from http://www.mostiwant.com/blog/cyberlink-photodirector-3-free-full-version-serial-key-giveaway/ ... It had an offline installer file so I used it!
[Post New]
And thank you Ant Dude. The link you posted has clarified a question I had about what features are missing from the HE version compared to PhD5 Ultra.

From that page:

Compared to PhotoDirector 5 Ultra, version HE (giveaway version) lacks the following features:

• Fastest RAW import engine

• Full multi-frame HDR bracketing enables to merge up to 5 bracketed shots

• Auto-lens Correction from popular lens makers to quickly fix common lens flaws

• Stylish Split Toning adds different color tints to create artistic edits

• Enhanced Noise Reduction analyzes individual images & apply custom correction settings

• A whole new range of editing possibilities by New RGB Channel Curve Adjustment

• New companion app PhotoDirector Mobile – snaps photos anywhere, and edits anytime

• High DPI support ensures great looks on today’s new high resolution monitors

• High-res 2K & 4K Ultra HD video slideshows

I'm glad you've been able to by-pass your original problem.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2015 13:15

PIX YouTube channel