Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No Dolby Atmos in PowerDVD 15?
Billy7 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 27, 2014 17:49 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
Have Cyberlink added decoding Atmos to analogue yet?
Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
Nvidia 980TI GTX, Marantz AV7702mk2, Apogee Duet, 3x Adam A77X, 4x Mackie MR5's, 4X Mackie CR4
Panasonic PT-AT6000e projector, 120" fixed projector screen, Panasonic ST30 50" TV.
AndySopra33 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 13, 2015 20:19 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Have Cyberlink added decoding Atmos to analogue yet?

So. me bitstreaming to my Yamaha CX-A5100 Pre-Amp / AV Processor and then going to my NAIM amplifiers through Balanced connections, and the to a Full Focal Scala Utopia 5.1.4 system sounds inferior to your setup? I am not being sarcastic or anything, i am just finding that really hard to believe. For a guy who loves sound, using Mackies sounds extremely weird. I like the RME though

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 13. 2015 20:28

Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm sure your setup sounds amazing.
Did I say it wouldn't?
Did you really just sign up to the forums to post that?
I wouldn't be using cyberlink software to play through £30,000 speakers though.
I wouldn't pay £30,000 for speakers either, especially for 5.1.4.
But you pay your money and you take your choice.
I personally just don't like jumping through upgrade hoops every year, costing thousands, just so I can play back 12 wav files and a video with loads of DRM laid on top.
But this thread isn't about a pissing contest. It's about atmos support.

Any news on atmos in powerdvd?
Any staff dare to give us any scraps of info after two years of people asking for it in this version and the last one? Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
Nvidia 980TI GTX, Marantz AV7702mk2, Apogee Duet, 3x Adam A77X, 4x Mackie MR5's, 4X Mackie CR4
Panasonic PT-AT6000e projector, 120" fixed projector screen, Panasonic ST30 50" TV.
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Look at the views this thread has had. More than any other thread in the powerdvd15 forum.
Doesn't that tell you something? Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
nullack [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 29, 2010 04:09 Messages: 139 Offline
[Post New]
It tells you that lots of web search crawlers hit the site. Beyond that, you need the website analytics to make any informed commentary on how many unique users that arent bots are actually viewing it. Even then, the number of unique real humans viewing it, is not an indicator of endorsement or disagreement, its simply a transaction not a judgement.
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
How convenient.
It can't be one of the (apparently) 9 people wanting Dolby atmos decoding to analogue, looking 4000 times then?

I think cyberlink should listen to what their customers want a bit more.
I don't see any posts asking for more apps and cloud storage features that's for sure!
Look after the high end users and the rest will follow.
This would be another unique feature only available in powerdvd which would help them differentiate themselves from the competition in the market.

nullack [Avatar]
[Post New]
For the record, Im in support of Cyberlink adding features that matter, as long as the dont get into bloatware.

While I understand this particular additional feature is important to you Billy, to me I personally consider there to be more important immediate problems that require resolution. For example, I am at a total loss to explain how Cyberlink think they are marketing the worlds best media player when they can do deinterlacing in video correctly. And they havent been able to do so since I pointed it out to their support since PowerDVD version 10. Its also a mystery how Cyberlink do things like claim to have Windows 10 product compatability but in fact, they fail the very tests Microsoft provide to confirm Windows 10 platform readiness via the device driver and kernel mode process testing procedures. Given they fail those simple tests, how can Powerdvd 15 be Windows 10 platform ready? I could go on, but I think there is a need to rectify existing problems before they embark upon adding even more bug ridden code to this product for more features.
gregory [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 05, 2015 21:10 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am with you billy. Sick of the AVR dance. Wishing I could plan my next move.
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes it would be nice if cyberlink would throw us a bone.
Looks like DTSX, HDR and HDMI 2.0a has made most AVR's outdated again already.
If only there was an all in the box software solution that supported/decoded all formats we could buy.......

2 years later, back at the camp and nada!
Looks like powerdvd sold their high end users down the river.
might as well just buy a networked bluray player and skip powerdvd altogether if you take sound seriously.

If you like apps that you'll never use and a piece of software which essentially just passes data through to be decoded by your hardware (I.e pointless) then powerdvd is what you need!
Simon P [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2014 07:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Yes it would be nice if cyberlink would throw us a bone.
Looks like DTSX, HDR and HDMI 2.0a has made most AVR's outdated again already.
If only there was an all in the box software solution that supported/decoded all formats we could buy.......

2 years later, back at the camp and nada!
Looks like powerdvd sold their high end users down the river.
might as well just buy a networked bluray player and skip powerdvd altogether if you take sound seriously.

If you like apps that you'll never use and a piece of software which essentially just passes data through to be decoded by your hardware (I.e pointless) then powerdvd is what you need!

One reason I decided to wait before upgrading my old AVR. My setup suppoorts DTS:X, Atmos and has HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2

One question, I presume you play ripped blurays rather than play the actual disk because your highend kit won't have a protected audio path which will mean playing from a disk will only output 16-bit LPCM audio rather than 24-bit. TV - Samsung UE55F6670
Sound - Yamaha RX-A2040/4x B&W DM602 S3/2x B&W DM601 S3/B&W LCR60 S3 Centre/B&W ASW1000 Sub/2x Onkyo SKH-410
HTPC - Gigabyte EP35 DS3 v2.1/E8400@3.00/4GB Crucial Ballistix/Sapphire R7 250X 1GB DDR5/PowerDVD 14
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The audio path is fine.
If you'd have read the thread properly you would know this.
It was discussed in the Dolby atmos thread for powerdvd 14.
Here's the link anyway.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50/39616.page

Come on cyberlink, get this working for the next version at least.
People on your forums have been requesting this for years! Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
nullack [Avatar]
[Post New]
Billy7, have you consider jriver? It has allot of audio features and as well on the video side is ffmpeg based. Im still waiting after years for deinteracling in powerdvd to work properly....
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The star wars battlefront game now supports atmos sound.
You can buy soundbars that are atmos enabled as well as tablets.
Here we are in 2016 and still nothing for decoding Dolby atmos or DTSX to analogue.

I think this is a big year for powerdvd. If they don't support the right formats using a PC for media playback will soon become pointless and irrelevant.

Support dolby atmos/DTSX decoding to analogue in the next version cyberlink! Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please add Dolby atmos decoding to analogue in powerdvd 16.
People have been asking for it since powerdvd 14!

Oculus, UHD bluray support and Dolby atmos (and DTSX) to analogue to decoding is where the smart money is! 😀 Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
[Post New]
I too would love if Power DVD could decode Atmos and DTS:X. The potential cost savings are huge and fundamentally the processing required is not that big of deal.

There are people upgrading perfectly good AVRs for a feature that is purely software driven.
Any modern PC should be able to cope, it has to be decoded in real time sure, but not at low latency.

I think the issue will be Legal/Licencing constraints. I'm not sure it's in Dolby or DTS's interest to support a product which will damage AVR sales.
[Post New]
I am still waiting for PDVD to restore HD-DVD decoding. HD-DVD titles exist, so they should support the format. Sure, almost no one would use the feature and it would cost them money in both licenses and support, but sound business decisions should never get in the way of giving a very insignificant minority of users what they demand!

I am going to keep coming back here and whining until a representative of Cyberlink gives a definitive answer about it.
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I too would love if Power DVD could decode Atmos and DTS:X. The potential cost savings are huge and fundamentally the processing required is not that big of deal.

There are people upgrading perfectly good AVRs for a feature that is purely software driven.
Any modern PC should be able to cope, it has to be decoded in real time sure, but not at low latency.

I think the issue will be Legal/Licencing constraints. I'm not sure it's in Dolby or DTS's interest to support a product which will damage AVR sales.

Let's hope it's in the next version! Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
dafyddhughes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 12, 2015 10:43 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone from Cyberlink ever actually read these forums? Cannot believe they've still not come back to this thread! Even with a no we are not doing it, or a, yes it will come... I know a lot of people who keep asking this same question! Haswell 5820k Watercooled @4.7Ghz, 32Gb Ram
Nvidia 1080 GTX, Pioneer SC-LX89, 2x Bowers & Wilkins DM604Mk1, 1x Bowers & Wilkins LCR, 2x Bowers & Wilkins DM603,2x M&K V1250 THX SubWoofers, 4x Onkyo Dolby Atmos Speakers, LG OLED55E6V & PanasoniC 55" AX802
[Post New]
Quote: Does anyone from Cyberlink ever actually read these forums? Cannot believe they've still not come back to this thread! Even with a no we are not doing it, or a, yes it will come... I know a lot of people who keep asking this same question!

On the top of the main forum page, you will find this:

This is a forum for CyberLink members to discuss about our products and online services (e.g. DirectorZone, MoovieLive). CyberLink customer support will not reply in the forum regarding the technical issues.

So while they MIGHT read it, they will not reply unless they are doing moderation of forum member behavior.
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow. Over 8000 views, more than double any other thread on these forums.
Imagine how stupid cyberlink would be if they didn't implement dolby atmos decoding to analogue in powerdvd 16!

Let's see how far cyberlink has their finger from their pulse! Will they listen to their customers?
Maybe they've been reworking an amazing cloud app that no one cares for or uses instead....like last time.

There was a Dolby atmos to analogue thread for powerdvd 14 too. Just ignored like this one.

How long is it going to take cyberlink? Are you finally going to come through with atmos (and DTS X) to analogue in your next version?

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out what you customers want and it's not apps and ipad streaming, that's for sure!

Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 20, 2008 08:20 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
How much are you willing to spend for a version of PDVD that has to pay the exorbitant licensing costs for Dolby Atmos and then again for DTS X? Are you willing to pay twice as much for it? How about everyone else, are they all willing to pay twice as much for a niche feature?

How many people are going to cut holes in their ceiling to improve the sound on from their computer? Remember, most people are still at 2 channel sound! If people are unwilling to run wires to get the huge improvement from 6 channel sound, what makes you think they will run out and move to ATMOS?

Are you willing to upgrade your PC to meet the new, very high specs you will need to process the speaker locations in real time?

I have to ask, how are you powering all those speakers without an external amplifier? You will need the at least 9 speakers to make this work (5.1 plus 2 front ceiling and 2 rear ceiling).

Cyberlink would be financially stupid to add Dolby ATMOS to their product just because a few people wrote they want it. It would take a corporate buyer asking for it (and one who is willing to pay the R&D costs of adding it) for it to ever appear. I cannot see that happening, ever.

If I were you, I would accept that PDVD will never have ATMOS because it is a stupid thing for them to add. I would go out and buy an AVR with ATMOS and DTS X support in it instead.