Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 13 overly resource intensive, doing something wrong?
ricker666 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 09, 2015 03:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
First post here, didn't find any answers searching so hopefully someone can help.

Recently I moved back to Windows after several years on Mac using Apple's own video editing software. I liked Powerdirector after a trial enough to buy and on the whole I'm happy.

But...when you start fixing clips such as white balance, stabilizing etc, it crawls at an almost unusable pace. As does my laptop. I'm using a brand new 2015 Dell XPS 13 with Intel Core i7 and 8GB of RAM and a quick task manager check shows it's not the RAM at least that's the issue but it's getting the CPU working overdrive.

Is this a regular issue with PD or is there something, somewhere I'm missing that I can turn on or off to help? I love the software but I can't keep using it like this. Considering it's a pretty top of the line new Ultrabook, I'm confused and disappointed all at the same time.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
What esle do you have running during the editing? Make sure that your antivirus is NOT scanning the files already on your computer.

What programs/operations start at boot? Do you know how to run mconfig.exe - start up? You may want to download and install the free version of "Soluto". It will tell you a lot about what esle is running and what you can set to run when you actually want to run the porogram.

With an i7, you should be able to turn off the "shadow files" in PD13. They help speed up the preview but you really don't need them with your computer. Are you working with high definition videos or standard definition?

Double check the Dell site to see if there are any driver updates.

Are you running an external monitor? 13 inch is pretty small for video editing. I've got a slightly older XPS 13 but I would not want to try of edit on it! laughing .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Welcome ricker666.

sevek had some good suggestions for you!

Also, when using Image Stabilizer (particular if you check the “Use enhanced stabilizer option”) you usually will get slowdowns or you have the audio playing but the video will skip.

You then have 2 choices:
- Reduce the “Preview Quality”
- “Render Preview” the section that is having issue.
Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate