Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Joining video tracks smoothly without video hesitation and sound dropping
hstancil10 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2015 11:40 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
We have started video recording some of our services/musical presentations. Here's what's happening...

• When I import the video files from the SDHC card, they come in sections or separate video files.

• I import these into PowerDirector and put them side-by-side in the timeline, snap-to-fit.

• However, when previewing the video and burning the end result to a DVD, the video drops the sound and hesitates at the points where the video files start and stop.

Question: Is there a setting I'm missing to join the files together for smoother play? I've done a lot of video editing with clips and pictures but have not had to produce a seamless service video until now. Please help .

I'm using PowerDirector13 Ultimate 13.0.2604.0
[Thumb - Screenshot.jpg]
 Filename
Screenshot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot
 Filesize
303 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
57 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 08. 2015 12:15

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Each clip (each time the camera is switched on and off) is a separate file. Each file has its own audio track, consequently, the sound will stop when the clip stops. So, for instance, if you have two clips side by side in the time line the sound will break at the end of the first clip and so on.

One way around this is to have an external audio recorder which will record everything without a break i.e. even when you switch the camera off, the recorder will carry on regardless. The downside of this is that you will have to the synchronise the sound with your clips, but then, at least the sound would be continuous. You would then insert the audio file from the recorder into an audio track below the video track (muting the video tack) This is why the pros have clapperboards, the sound of the clapper can be heard and synchronised with the video shot (take two etc.)

Others may be able to offer easy ways to synchronise, but that is the general idea.

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
hstancil10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your reply. The camera is not switched on and off during recording, it automatically produces separate video files. I'm wondering now if there is a setting in the camera to only produce one video file.
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
What kind of camera are you using? A dedicated video camera should film in continuous mode. Some still cameras, which also produce video, are limited in the length a clip can be.

Nevertheless, the best audio would be produced by a dedicated audio recorder and it doesn't really need to be fancy. I've just switched to using a lapel mic (Rode SmartLav+) and my iPhone (believe it or not) for recording the audio on how-to videos. Day and night difference for the better.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sorry, I don't know then.

I have only heard of that happening with Panasonic cameras when they break 4k files up automatically into smaller files.

If by the off chance you are using 4k files you could try using 1920 x 1080 instead Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
hstancil10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Panasonic HD AVCCAM
The Shadowman
[Post New]
What's the model number?
Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
hstancil10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
AG-AC90PJ. I do have an audio recorder, but I was trying to avoid having to synchronize everything if I have to do this on a regular basis. I downloaded the camera manual, but so far it's all gibberish to me. I'm hoping I can adjust a setting somewhere.
hstancil10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I found this in the manual (screenshot attached), "A continuous recording of motion picture data that exceeds 4 GB may momentarily stop at every 4 GB of data when played back with another device." The files that are imported are about 4 GB in size each. I know this isn't a forum about cameras, but I'm thinking there isn't a way to get a true continuous recording on this camera.
[Thumb - manual screenshot.jpg]
 Filename
manual screenshot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
550 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
59 time(s)
The Shadowman
[Post New]
What quality are you filming in?

I think the only way to get round this problem is to film at a lower resolution. If you are filming at 1080, try 720 it should make quite a difference Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
hstancil10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
PS 1080/60p. I just spoke with a professional camera guy. He said the 4GB limit is standard unless I get a higher quality camera to produce HD video. The only way around it is to coordinate with my video camera operator to start and stop the video at specific planned times so not to interrupt a song or phrase.

I appreciate all your help. Thanks so much.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi hstancil10 -

When you're doing continuous recording, as you are, the files are split into 4GB segments. That's because of the formatting of the SD card. There's no setting you can adjust to change that. My Canon does the same thing.

If the NLE handles these split files correctly, there should be no "hiccup". The information linking the clips is written into the metadata, & will play smoothly through the join if the NLE interprets that information correctly.

The difficulty you're having is that PDR doesn't seem to be doing that. It's not an uncommon problem with other NLEs.

When you transferred the files to your PC, did you just transfer the video clips? I've read that (in your circumstance) it's best to transfer the whole "PRIVATE" folder to your PC & import from there.

If you can't get it to work smoothly, you may need to (a) edit the audio track separately to overcome the level issue & (b) disguise the video pause with something else.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
What you see is normal for any camera that uses flash memory to split continuous recordings at 4GB. This is easily fixed. The timeline of your screenshot show about 22 minutes per 4GB file. This means that you were filming at 1080/60p on that panny. That is the highest quality.

If you absolutely must have no break in the video and audio in this production then the solution is already published here. I outlined the procedure to do it here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40188.page . There will be no break in audio.

Let us know if this fixes the problem in your production. sealed
The Shadowman
[Post New]
As a matter of interest, would TSmuxer do the job more easily by "joining" clips together Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
hstancil10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
tomasc, you rank right under Jesus for me today. Thank you for your direction. I tried searching the forum several times and I guess I didn't use the right words to find your solution. Never thought I would have to use dos, but it didn't take me very long to do. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about synching audio!!! Thanks again!
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Kind of on topic - can you reformat these SD cards with NTFS or exFAT? Will the camcorder read those?

I ask because that is what I have to do with thumb drives. I convert .WTV files to MP4 and most are over 4GB. SmartTVs have no problem with NTFS. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
jerryd2558 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 03, 2011 19:50 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
There is a program here: https://sites.google.com/site/mtsfilejoiner/Home/files
that will do the work for you
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Kind of on topic - can you reformat these SD cards with NTFS or exFAT? Will the camcorder read those?

I ask because that is what I have to do with thumb drives. I convert .WTV files to MP4 and most are over 4GB. SmartTVs have no problem with NTFS.
if you reformat the SD/SDHC cards to anything other than FAT32 the camera will not be able to use that Memory card.

So the answer is no. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.