Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
2nd hard drive, for assets. Better performance?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
EKSVid - That YT video is pretty interesting. I think it would answer a lot of users questions on slow editing. The local high school here uses the premiere pro and photoshop mentioned in that video. The students here do the music and video productions and they learn to use the equipment and software so they are ready for the work world once they graduate without haveing to go to college. They have essentially the same classes at the junior college so the h.s. students here gets the same benefits. Thanks for posting the link.

BarryTheCrab - The formatting (word wrap) problems in the threads of this post can be fixed. It is caused by your above thread using the multiple run on words ThankyouThankyou without a space in beteen each one. This cause everyone's thread to look bad and need multiple scrolling. Fix your above thread and eveyone's thread here will be okay. See the attachment for details.
[Thumb - word wrap1.jpg]
 Filename
word wrap1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Place a space between each Thankyou for word wrap
 Filesize
298 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
139 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2015 16:13

Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
Barry, you keep saying that there's no SSD in your near future and from other comments you've made, it sounds like you think it's some kind of big job to install one.

Well...

If you get one of the Kingston SSD drives (64 or 128gb) there are models of that drive which come with a limited version of TrueImage. (I have the full version but have used the limited version as well.) That will allow you to CLONE your drive C: onto the new SSD drive. And you do this either by connecting the SSD via USB or if you have a spare eSata connection by that. (You can get the Kingston drive as a bare drive or as a "kit" and it's the kit you want.)

Once you've done that, you have NOT damaged your existing drive C: in any way, and you shut everything down, pull the old drive and install the new one and boot up. The whole process is incredibly easy and dare I say, foolproof.

I've done that on four computers so far and it's been perfectly successful every time.

And the price of those drives has really come down compared with a year or so ago.

I keep Windows itself and programs on drive C: and put data on my drive D: (and one some computers also on drive E: ).

All I'm saying is don't fear installing an SSD.

Cheers!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2015 16:12

[Post New]
I also thought the video was very good (I was looking into how important the Video card is in video editing - he explains that towards the end of the video).

For Barry - I'm surprised with your lack of "patience" as you said that you have not switched to an SSD a long time ago - ha ha
I upgraded 3 computers/laptops in my house and I will never go back. The only reason not to get an SSD is the cost for large drives. So, backups and large projects will not be on SSD unless you have lots of $$$

Multiple portions usually wont give you any performance gain (it is still using the same HDD). So if you copy from J: to K: and J and K are partitions on the same drive, the it is copying from/to itself. Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
playvideo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 30, 2011 08:09 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
OK, for crying out loud, I'll look at this again.I'll try to make my new J drive into 2 or 3 partitions.

1 - Can I use one of Them as a scratch drive?You mean HD C (System).

About to start a new PC the first partition is "C" automatically.

If you want to transfer the HD C, present for a new HD is more complicated.

When I did here used a piece of software that comes with the SSD and worked well.

I think that if you make an image of your drive C using Windows, If you do the old image HD C and restore to the new HD C, nothing will change for HD C which should be the same size.

just google how to do.

2 - Should I?

If this working well, leave like this.

3 - How do I aim the temp files to scratch it?

If you do the old image HD C and restore to the new HD C, nothing will change for HD C.

If there was other HD's likely the letter changed al rename need to look like before.

4 - Will it help performance?

Only if the new HD is better, but faster than the old.

5 - There are no SSD in my near future, though I have 1 extra 500GB external drive i could probably take out of it's enclosure and put in the HP if que would be the better choice for scratch drive.

2 HD's is always better than just one, has tasks that you can copy a HD to another HD, time is halved.

6 - I suppose writing temp files to something other than the OS system drive C is the goal?

In my case not only to relieve united C, but also to facilitate access to temporary files PD13.

And no longer invisible folder.

But if I aim Them at the new J drive I just installed (with another partition called K) where I am keeping my video assets "J", does that defeat the purpose of the I'll be writing and editing files temps from the same physical hard drive (J & K)?

Temporary files on another drive or partition just for filling HD C.

I went back to the temporary folder C SSD, and did not notice improvement with editing, then already went back to my HD 'O ".

Sorry errors and bad understood, sometimes Google translator further complicates.

It should also consider'm no expert.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2015 16:47

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Ok...my little query has become a multi-headed beast! I'll need to reread some of this, let's leave it be, some good links and information, I get faster is better theory. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
I second Eldor's comment!

Even if it is was a pain - it is still worth it in the medium to long run.

For the size - don't take anything smaller that 120GB SSD (unless you want to do it again in the near future).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2015 16:31

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
Paul1945
Contributor Location: South Africa Joined: Apr 12, 2014 14:11 Messages: 327 Offline
[Post New]
Yes Barry

My Setting similar to Eugen ...My 2x4Tb SSHD Partition ( can Find my Stuff ) 1 Tb GoPro - 1 Tb AVCHD ...Last Trip ...Studio ...
The Intel Raid0 Transcend 512gb (x2)ssd = my C Drive ( after Installation )Sensational Speed !!!
Yes id was a Price Question but after I did it....no Tears I feel Cool !!!!

Editing Computer

i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz/Nvidia GTX 970 (4.0GB),Driver:Geforce
347.88/32GB DDR3/Win 8.1 pro x64

Intel Raid 0 / 2x4TB SSHD Pauls PC
X399 AORUS Extreme/AMD Ryzen2970WX/1xQuatro 4000 Driver:Geforce 419.67Skill V DDR4 64GB/3200MHz/Win10 prox64
Intel SSD 750/400 / Intel SSD 750/1.2Tb 1x4TB SSHD /1xSeagate 10TB pro
1xSamsung UA28D590 4k LUMIX GH5 1xLG HDR
[Post New]
A raid of 2 x Transcend 512GB = $400 (about) is SUPER and FAST just a bit pricey for most

A single 120-240GB SSD ($50-$100) will make Barry happy I think

For those that have a laptop (and just one drive bay)
Look at this drive (2 in one):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236642&cm_re=WD_Dual_Drives_%28SSD_%2b_HDD%29-_-22-236-642-_-Product

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is a fantastic price for a combo for someone who wants one for their notebook. Probably good in a desktop too. Can't resist the price.
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Other than for a faster startup including populating the album and timeline of PD, I doubt that a SSD would make any difference while editing.

Virtually all applications in PD are CPU limited, not hard drive.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The other thing Im gonna try is to copy my Smartsound library to the new drive to see if that gets any boost. As of now the plugin brings my system to a crawl. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
Partitioning a drive does nothing to speed the system up. You are still using a single read/write arm to do all the work. It can actually slow the system down. If the drive crashes, you lose everything on ALL the drives.
The best option is the OS and programs on a SSD, and everything else on separate drives. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
No drive partition, just a second drive. OS and all programs on C:, and all assets on newly installed J: drive (2TB). HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Partitioning a drive does nothing to speed the system up. You are still using a single read/write arm to do all the work. It can actually slow the system down. If the drive crashes, you lose everything on ALL the drives.
The best option is the OS and programs on a SSD, and everything else on separate drives.

Not quite true.

Partitioning a drive into C D E , equal size, will result in C writing and reading faster than E.

I just measured it, the transfer rate at the outer edge on a 2TB drive was 126MB/sec and on the inside it was 51 MB/sec.

On my CDE drive it is 140MB/sec vs. 85MB/sec. due to the smaller platter diameter.

At any rate I ordered a 250 GB SSD today plus a converter. I expect the computer to boot faster and it will be interesting to see if there is a change in PD performance. Most likely very marginal if at all since the source video to be edited will remain on conventional HDs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2015 22:10

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Not quite true.

Partitioning a drive into C D E , equal size, will result in C writing and reading faster than E..

As I said, It can actually slow the system down. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
[Post New]
Eugen157, the only bad thing about switching to an SSD as you OS(boot) and application drive is that you will want to put your videos on an SSD(scratch/work) drive also

I don't do 4K (sofar), but my next dive is another SSD (for the current projects I work on) and my HDD will be for backups and storage only.

Eugen157
[Post New]
Quote: Eugen157, the only bad thing about switching to an SSD as you OS(boot) and application drive is that you will want to put your videos on an SSD(scratch/work) drive also

I don't do 4K (sofar), but my next dive is another SSD (for the current projects I work on) and my HDD will be for backups and storage only.

Yes,

I fear that too, but your solution makes a lot of sense, a 250GB 2nd SSD would be big enough for just about any project. At $125 total that is not bad for a 4 1/2 star rated SSD with app 600 users reporting.

Did you have any problems transferring from HD to SSD ? Can you just clone from HD to SSD? The C D E being one partitioned HD that needs to be transferred, only has about a total 130 GB of data on them.

I suspect it is not as simple as that, I have to do some serious reading.

Eugene

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 10. 2015 22:44

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
[quote=Eugen157 wrote: Not quite true.
Partitioning a drive into C D E , equal size, will result in C writing and reading faster than E.
I just measured it, the transfer rate at the outer edge on a 2TB drive was 126MB/sec and on the inside it was 51 MB/sec.
On my CDE drive it is 140MB/sec vs. 85MB/sec. due to the smaller platter diameter.

Any hard drive will slow down as it fills with data. You have to limit what you write to the drive C partition. Sound like that the drive D and E partition are reserved for non os use in your pc. You'll be happy with the 250GB ssd after it is installed. Your os boot time should be a fraction of what it is now and you don't need to put multiple partitions on it.

This message was edited 14 times. Last update was at Apr 10. 2015 23:02

PlaySound
Senior Contributor Joined: Dec 02, 2010 10:26 Messages: 2031 Offline
[Post New]
Here's a demo HDD vs. SSD,

I must be a weak CPU, but I believe it is the same PC or equivalent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv5dCXiXFaw

It was said that HD parcicionado is worse because when breaking lose everything, broken HD whatever partitioned or not, you may lose all the same.

I prefer large HD partitioned to better organize my library, in addition to make the search files quickly but in many cases.

Furthermore the disc will certain to read and write, not always being from the beginning.

My future project is to add another SSD for project folder in progress. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Eugen157
[Post New]
Thanks for all the inputs!

Well, NewEgg made the choice for me. Somehow the order was duplicated (most likely my doing) and I will have two 250GB SSD drives.

Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Will report my findings.

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2015 15:01

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
EKSVid
Senior Member Joined: Aug 07, 2014 00:07 Messages: 150 Offline
[Post New]
Ha Ha, Now put those two into a raid 0 - smoking fast! Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate