Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Lost all my tags
ponderstibbons
Newbie Location: Champion Lakes, Western Australia Joined: Jan 19, 2011 08:28 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
I recently decided to tag all my photos, which I keep in one directory (and many sub-directories) on C drive.

I did about half of them (around 3,000 from memory), then closed PhD 6.

I turned the computer off and on again a few times, and today I decided I'd continue tagging, but when I booted up the program (with no photos imported) none of my tags are present.

Does anyone know how to recover these tags - I guess they're in a database file somewhere. One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man, he had the Vote.
Terry Pratchett (Mort).
[Post New]
Hello ponderstibbons,

You said: I booted up the program (with no photos imported) none of my tags are present. Do you mean there were NO photos at all in the project, or are you saying you didn't import any EXTRA photos?

When you open PhD, by default, the most recent project is opened.

Tags, of course, are only associated with particular photos & groups of photos.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Oh my gosh!

I think I may have just replicated the issue, after applying tags to a pre-existing project. When tested on a new project, the tags are retained as you'd expect.

Do your photos have a tag symbol at the top left of each thumbnail?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
ponderstibbons
Newbie Location: Champion Lakes, Western Australia Joined: Jan 19, 2011 08:28 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
I just opened PhD6 and then imported all of my photos from my "My Photos" folder - including sub-folders.

Under Library/Project there are ten tags showing, and no face tags. But I know that in my previous session I created more than forty tags and there were at least ten face tags.

Do tags stick with a particular project? if so, I guess I would have to call up that project, but I can't remember what I called it, and there is no drop-down menu item (under "File" on the menu bar) for "Previous Projects", which is a bit of a surprise.

I would have thought that as soon as PhD6 was opened then all of the tags would be displayed so that I need only import the photos I want to work with. But if the first step to running a session is to import all photos then I'll go with that - as long as I can get all my previous tags.

I spent quite a few hours tagging photos and really don't want to have to go through it again as I'll be thinking that this will just be a waste of time as I could lose them all again.

I have another query on tagging but will post a separate thread.
[Thumb - Screenshot (4).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (4).png
[Disk]
 Description
Tagging
 Filesize
2041 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
55 time(s)
One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man, he had the Vote.
Terry Pratchett (Mort).
[Post New]
Yes, tags stick with a particular project. After a photo has been adjusted & edited, then exported, the tags you apply in the project can be written into the photo's metadata. After that, the tag is also attached to the photo.

If you'd tagged some of the faces previously, those face tags should still be present in the project (if all was going as intended). That information is stored in the project folder with the project file (.phd file), in a sub-folder called "Project Name_faces".

By the way, in my previous post i mentioned I'd lost some tags too (not face tags). Well, they reappeared when next I opened the project. surprised

PIX PIX YouTube channel
ponderstibbons
[Post New]
Thanks PIX.
But where do I find that original project? I think I just used the default settings, but don't know what they were.
Anyway, I've started tagging every photo again, but this time I won't save the project.
One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man, he had the Vote.
Terry Pratchett (Mort).
[Post New]
PhD projects are stored wherever you put them but, by default, you'll probably find them in C:\Users\UserName. Unless you've named it something different, it will be called "NewPrioject". There is a folder containing the .pds file (yhe project), and sub-folders for cache & faces.

To find the location of your current project, open it, go to Preferences (Alt+C) > Project. Look under Project backup & you'll see the current address.

Unlike many applications, PhD projects are saved automatically as you work - importing, adjusting, editing, tagging etc. It has a workflow that takes a little "getting used to".

PIX PIX YouTube channel