Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
It takes 5-10 seconds to register that I've clicked on something
osborn2009 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 26, 2015 20:06 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I used to have PowerDirector 12 on my old computer, which was 5 years old. It ran just fine. I recently (last month) bought a brand new computer with an i5 processor, 24gb of ram, and a brand new graphics card for it. I upgrade to PowerDirector 13 thinking it would be awesome and would run awesome on my new computer. It doesn't. When I am trying to edit videos it literally takes between 5 and 10 seconds to register I've even clicked on the clip, then can take another several seconds to register that I wanted it to do something after that. This makes editing together a 3 minute video take an hour sometimes. Why is it doing this!? Is there any way for me to fix this?
[Post New]
Are you using the same video source files as you used before (that worked well), or did you get a new camcorder also ?

Do you have any other programs running - like Anti-Virus or other background program that do auto backups (WD makes a bad one call SmartWare) that is trying to backup your temp files while you are creating them.

Do you have more than one drives - programs on one video on another - or all on one?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26. 2015 23:20

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
osborn2009 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Are you using the same video source files as you used before (that worked well), or did you get a new camcorder also ?

Do you have any other programs running - like Anti-Virus or other background program that do auto backups (WD makes a bad one call SmartWare) that is trying to backup your temp files while you are creating them.

Do you have more than one drives - programs on one video on another - or all on one?

Yeah I am using the same video source files that worked before. The webcam is the exact same, the only thing new is the new computer and PowerDirector 13 instead of 12.

I have no other programs running when I am editing videos. Especially no Anti-Virus programs.

I have a 256mb SSD and a 1TB HDD. The videos may be on the HDD, but I know the program itself is on the SSD. Could that be what is causes so much delay?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Is the hard drive internal or connected via USB 2/3?

Same operating system? High definition or standard definition?

Run Windows msconfig to see what programs are opened when you boot. Uncheck the ones that are not necessary, hint: Download the free Soluto to help you make the decisions; you can delete it afterwards.

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
osborn2009 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Is the hard drive internal or connected via USB 2/3?

Same operating system? High definition or standard definition?

Run Windows msconfig to see what programs are opened when you boot. Uncheck the ones that are not necessary, hint: Download the free Soluto to help you make the decisions; you can delete it afterwards.

Internal SSD and HDD

Went from windows 7 to Windows 8.1

And alright I can try that.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Mine is almost instantaneous when calling a command. I've got a fast i7 and lots of memory but your still should not be that slow.

Are you running the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version (OS and Program).

Do you have shadow files active. Perhaps the program is still building them when you try to run the program. You shouldn't need that turned on. When you have the delays, it is just after you load the files or even later? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
osborn2009 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am not sure about the 32bit of 64bit. It was whatever I was supposed to have, but I can check later.

and I also don't know about the Shadow Files, I can check that when I get home later too.

The delays are the entire time. I will have 3-4 videos of about a minute long on the timeline, and each time i click one of them, it takes 5-10 seconds to register that I clicked it, then when i try to zoom in or out, it takes 5-10 seconds to register i clicked zoom, or when i click to scroll along the timeline, it takes 5-10 seconds to register i clicked to scroll. It is literally everything that does it, and lasts the entire time.
[Post New]
Run Windows Task Manger when you have the slowdown.

Right Click the taskbar and choose Task Manger.
Then choose the Performance tab.

Look at all the charts on the left.
Windows 8 will show you what is working hard (drive, mem, cpu,network).

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
NonnyM [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 04, 2012 13:40 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe something has ""auto "" updated, without your knowledge. Maybe something like the video card drivers ?

Nvida did that on me

Propably teaching Granny to suck eggs but whilst using Task manage, All users processes, click on the top of the CPU column and see what proccess are pulling the cpu. Might have a rogue process starting

Rgds Win 7 Home SP 1, PD 13
Processor i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), (RAM) 8.00 GB, Sys Drive 120 gig SSD, Data Drive 1 Terrabyte, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ii , Portable USB3 2 Terrabyte

Paul1945
Contributor Location: South Africa Joined: Apr 12, 2014 14:11 Messages: 327 Offline
[Post New]
Hi NonnyM

On -- My PC : Right Click on Propertis and You see System

This shows your OP System ( 32 ore 64 )

I Think with Win 8.1 prefereble 64 and i7 and NVIDIA 750I -- aks the Shop to Update

PD 13 needs Speed !!!!!!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 27. 2015 17:12

Pauls PC
X399 AORUS Extreme/AMD Ryzen2970WX/1xQuatro 4000 Driver:Geforce 419.67Skill V DDR4 64GB/3200MHz/Win10 prox64
Intel SSD 750/400 / Intel SSD 750/1.2Tb 1x4TB SSHD /1xSeagate 10TB pro
1xSamsung UA28D590 4k LUMIX GH5 1xLG HDR
Dalders [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2014 04:20 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Are you running at a high screen resolution on the new computer?

I've found if I reduce the screen resolution, PD13 runs a LOT faster. There seems to be an issue with the user interface and super high resolution screens in my experience.
Paul1945
Contributor Location: South Africa Joined: Apr 12, 2014 14:11 Messages: 327 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Osborn2009

Yes as you can see on my profile running 2xSamsung 4K sreens.

At the moment i'm only working with AVCHD and 4K.It was a big and right decision to go this route.

I think, why must i go an old route on my new start if i can enjoy the new technology.

NEVER NEVER would i go back again,in my age of 70 years old i must say what a wonderful new world of 4K.

In your case you bought a new computer,the only thing i recommend is SPEED SPEED And SPEED.You can see that you're having problems with your new machine because of speed. Pauls PC
X399 AORUS Extreme/AMD Ryzen2970WX/1xQuatro 4000 Driver:Geforce 419.67Skill V DDR4 64GB/3200MHz/Win10 prox64
Intel SSD 750/400 / Intel SSD 750/1.2Tb 1x4TB SSHD /1xSeagate 10TB pro
1xSamsung UA28D590 4k LUMIX GH5 1xLG HDR