Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Clips with the same name
Videoguy01 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 31, 2013 17:59 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I have two SD chips with the clips I want to edit in Power Director 13. The clips are named the same on both SD chips. How do I keep them separate in the Media Room?

Can I make a Folder in the Media Room to import the second SD chip's files OR can I make a Second Media Room?

Seeing two clips side by side with the same name in the Media Room gets confusing.
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
Why don't you rename one of the clips before you bring it into PDR?

I have several cameras, and even more than one of the same make/model and with some of those cameras there's nothing I can do about it. So I have to take extra care when I off-load the files from the SD cards from those cameras so that I never overwrite an image from one camera with an image from the other (if it has the same name).

I would never import DIRECTLY into PDR from an SD card. First I bring those files onto the computer, rename them as needed, and THEN bring the files into PDR.

And because I archive EVERYTHING (thank goodness for multi-TB NAS servers) it becomes very important to keep a good naming convention going, otherwise (not even talking about PDR here) there's a real good chance of loosing something.

Hope this helps.
Videoguy01 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your answer. Do you have an easy way to rename 100 or so clips?
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
Whenever I can, I use a program that is mostly for still images (but works quite well with video) called Downloader Pro by Breeze Systems. This renames the files AS IT'S DOWNLOADING them from the SD (or CF) card onto the computer. And in most cases, even with two identical cameras, it's able to tell which camera is which (from the internal camera serial number) and renames the files appropriately.

If your files are already on the computer and you want to rename them, I use the batch rename capability of BreezeBrowser Pro (also by Breeze Systems). It works very well.

If you don't have those programs and don't want to buy them, just do a Google search for "batch rename files" and you'll find several options out there, ranging from free to very low cost, and from very easy and inflexible, to more complicated and very flexible.

But really the bottom line is to have your files renamed appropriately BEFORE you try to bring them into PDR.

Good luck!
Videoguy01 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank You again for your help.
[Post New]
To facilitate in PD13, create a new tag for each group of clips.

Click the "+" sign the new tag is created, if you want to name.

Add, files in the folder "A"

Click the "+" signAdd, files from the "B"

[Thumb - new tag.jpg]
 Filename
new tag.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
116 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 26. 2015 21:28

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Videoguy01 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am not sure what you mean by create a new tag. Can you please give me an example?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi VideoGuy1 -

We all have that "issue" (not that it's a problem) from time to time.

If required, I use a bulk file renamer called "ReNamer". It's also simple to rename bulk files in Windows, though you may not like the naming protocols...

1. Open a folder full of clips and select them all

2. Right click on the first clip & select Rename

3. Type your preferred name e.g. Easter2015

4. The clips will be renamed Easter2015 (1), Easter2015 (2), Easter2015 (3) etc.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote: I am not sure what you mean by create a new tag. Can you please give me an example?

To facilitate in PD13, create a new tag for each group of clips.

Click the "+" sign the new tag is created, if you want to name.

Add, files in the folder "A"Click the "+" sign

Add, files from the "B"

Thus the files are not shown duplicate name in Media Roon.

I use this method when I have lots of pictures and I separate in each issue one New Tag = virtual folder pd13 in my opinion.

I click on the New Tag, only see the photos in the selected group.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26. 2015 21:23