Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creation of shadow files from 4K material is very slowwwww, work around available
[Post New]
^ I totally agree... I would like some core improvements versus more glitter.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I have passed on Jeff's comments to CyberLink.

Dafydd
Zorikh [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 05, 2015 20:33 Messages: 99 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. I have been having a similar issue, waiting for days for the files to generate their shadows, but then losing those shadows on occasions when, for instance, the external hard drive on which the original files were stored crashes and I have to use the backup files, replacing all of the originals, or I ran 360 Total Security on my computer. Your solution (copying the files into lower-res, editing them, then replacing with the originals) sounds brilliant! Just three things:

1. You suggest using Format Factory. I have tried downloading it from Download.cnet.com and from the official website and both times that triggered some sort of "don't do it!" warning. Is there any other way you could suggest to copy the source files into lower res?

2. How do I "replace" the files in my PD13 project with other files o the same name? I assume it would be through a process like the one that happens when the source files have been "moved" (like when the original ext HD on which the source files were located is not plugged in) and the program prompts you to search for them,but how do I do that when I want?

I am already halfway done with the actual editing. Can I just replace the orig source files with the new, lower-res files , finish the job, then replace them with the original files? Will that work? It seems logical, but I figure better to ask a dumb question than be the dummy who doesn't ask it.

Thanks! Zorikh
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, the ^%$ slow shadow file generation.

Last night put 94GB of 4K video into PD14 to be edited, took from 2100 to 0840 this morning to generate the SF. Problem is only 15% of CPU power is allocated to that, can someone knowledgeable diddle the the software to make it, say 30%?

Happy HOLIDAYS !

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
cincydroneboy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2017 13:36 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
hello are you still around? i need some help with this. thanks

Quote Hi Eugene -

I've come across the same problem with generating shadow files, only in testing. There was one clip - 4K H.265 HEVC - that was still not finished generating after 24 hours so I aborted the mission. There's a little process I've applied successfully that may (or may not) help you. It can be applied in many circumstances. In your case, it completely bypasses PDR's shadow file generation.

This explanation of this substitution procedure probably needs a screen capture, but I'll give it a shot:

1. You have a working folder [F1] containing your 4K clips named (say) 000.mp4, 001.mp4, 002.mp4 etc - don't open PDR yet

2. Use Format Factory to convert all your 4K clips - (edit) or render in PDR - to (say) 720p & place the converted files in a separate folder [F2]

3. Rename the converted files 000.mp4, 001.mp4, 002.mp4 etc so the naming protocol exactly matches your originals

4. Open PDR & import the 720p clips - go ahead and do all the editing you need to do adding whatever extra photos audio you want.

5. Save the project and close PDR

6. (while PDR's not watching) Replace the 720p clips in [F2] with the original 4K clips in [F1]

7. Reopen the project and produce.

That sort of replicates the shadow file process and speeds up the works by using a file converter first. It relies completely on being able to rename the original & converted files to match.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. If the weather clears here, the new Sony FDR-X1000V is going for its first ride with me today. laughing
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, still kicking.

PD has bee inproved since that post. I now use PD14, one of the updates doubled the speed of Shadow File creation, so while it is a pain it does make editing of 4K possible.

PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
cincydroneboy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2017 13:36 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yes, still kicking.

PD has bee inproved since that post. I now use PD14, one of the updates doubled the speed of Shadow File creation, so while it is a pain it does make editing of 4K possible.

Eugene

thanks! i am using PD15 is using shadow files just as fast as using a coverted clip to avi and doing the swaping out?
Eugen157
[Post New]
Quote Yes, still kicking.

Eugene

thanks! i am using PD15 is using shadow files just as fast as using a coverted clip to avi and doing the swaping out?

I have used Tony's suggestion and at the time ,using PD13 ? it did save time. With PD14 I think it is a wash, being lazy plays a part too.

My pc is fairly fast so it is not an issue any more, it simply is a part of the editing process to me. Since I only use 4K there is no way around it. Using HD you may not need to use it if the pc is fast enough.

PD14,