Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Build desktop computer ASAP
Lea56 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2015 15:06 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I've done a search on this forum but no luck on very recent computer builds optimized for running Power Director Ultra 13. Just bought this program plus 3-yr old laptop is on last legs. Will be editing AVCHD input from Panasonic HC-X920. Also need computer for picture editing AND running financial platform software for trading stocks/commodities online. I'm thinking specs required for this software will automatically run the other software without problems. Won't need to run all software at once. Added info:

Want to run at least 2 monitors at once, probably around 21 - 24" with at least HD resolution; I'd like to have multiple drives set up like this:1)SSD for OS & programs, 2)HDD for imported video and pictures, 3)?drive for editing, 4)HDD for exported completed projects. All drives but #3 would be backed up, probably with external drive. I've read about raid drives - would rather not get that complex unless I need to. I don't really have a budget that I can't meet - but what I'd like is a machine that exceeds the minimum specs of Power Director without paying for power that will never be used. I'm not a pro - I'm a prosumer and will pay to have extra when it will be worthwhile to have the benefits. I do not do and will not do any gaming.

Have been on many forums reading about this and have filled up 4 days where nothing else got done. Need to move forward with your help. Computer parts picker is a great tool, but don't know where to start. Would rather run Intel and NVidia, 64-bit Windows but not sure about version - it seems that Windows 10 is coming soon and I would like to be ready for that. Thanks for your help.
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
Micro Center has some very nice PowerSpec machines. This one is a G310 model. The only thing I've done to it is upgrade the graghics to a GPX960 just recently.

Here are a few on clearance. http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&N=4294964325+518+4294965234&cat=PowerSpec-%3a-Closeout-%3a-Computers-%3a-Micro-Center

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 18. 2015 16:35

Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
One useful website is at www.videoguys.com
[Post New]
I would just buy a workstation from eBay. Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T1600-Xeon-E3-1245-3-3GHz-QC-16GB-500GB-Win-7-Pro-Workstation-/181686431972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4d5af0e4

Add a nVidia GTX 960 video card and you are set for 4K video editing.

If you want you can add a SSD, but that won't speed up the editing process, just the starting of teh computer and software - I have a 240GB SSD and that's what happend.

Also, an external HDD is a must to back-up your projects.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 18. 2015 19:00

[Post New]
SoNic67 is spot on!

I followed his example and took a chance and bought a bare HP Z600 workstation on ebay with some solid processing power (got more power for less money than buying something new - but you do take a bit of a risk).

This review is a year old but will show you how a good older workstation will work wonders with video.
http://videohive.net/forums/thread/modern-consumer-build-vs-old-monster-workstation/121982

You need a good base (processor and enough memory).
I used all the best bits of my old computer (see full specs below) to fill in some of the gaps. Video card still needs upgrading.

Used PD 13 with Windows 7 and 8 (you will need the pro version if you get a dual cpu version) - works fine with both.
The upgrade to Windows 10 will be free (if I'm not mistaken).
Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
Lea56 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2015 15:06 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Thank-You for your suggestions. I'm looking into used workstations right now.
Paul1945
Contributor Location: South Africa Joined: Apr 12, 2014 14:11 Messages: 327 Offline
[Post New]
HI Lea56
All you NEED is SPEED ..............!!
Editing with 4k like me ....
Still ( small )Problems with my PC and PD13
Pauls PC
X399 AORUS Extreme/AMD Ryzen2970WX/1xQuatro 4000 Driver:Geforce 419.67Skill V DDR4 64GB/3200MHz/Win10 prox64
Intel SSD 750/400 / Intel SSD 750/1.2Tb 1x4TB SSHD /1xSeagate 10TB pro
1xSamsung UA28D590 4k LUMIX GH5 1xLG HDR
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
<p style="display: inline !important;">
Quote: Thank-You for your suggestions. I'm looking into used workstations right now.

Whatever you do, don't bother with used business machines. They come nowhere close to what you need for video work.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 19. 2015 10:28

Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
[Post New]
Hmmm, interesting statement Myk

Any reason one would rather get an AMD A10 6800K
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A10-6800K+APU

rather than a single x5660 (like SoNic67 has)
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+X5660+%40+2.80GHz

or even an OLD dual x5670 like I got
https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+X5670+%40+2.93GHz&id=1307&cpuCount=2

if one could get them for less $$ and then add a solid video card to then? Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
Myk
[Post New]
When I visited Micro Center to buy, this was one of their pre-built machines. It came just as my sig says, sans the new video card, and I added 8g RAM.
I used to build my own computers. I found that it just isn't worth the hassle researching the parts and prices anymore. My son is a different story. He took up where I left off in building these. .

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
[Post New]
I agree Myk

I also did not build a system, all I did was pick a base Workstation that had the parts I needed/could afford and add the bits I already had.
Others might pick a full system, with everything already added. Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
[Post New]
The dual Xeon X5670 that EKSVid scored has a total of 12 real cores and 12 virtual ones, all at i7 first gen level of performance.
I don't think many "new" machine is even close of that level of performance, and not even talking about price/performance ratio here. You need to get a CPU that is by itself in the $600-1000 price range for equal performance, like a i7-5930K (6 real +6 virtual cores).

Adding a decent last gen video card from nVidia (or ATI if that's your favorite poison) is all that is needed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2015 15:25

icue [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 25, 2014 06:53 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi EKSVid,

SoNic67 has made some good suggestions.

The reason the X5670 is good is 1) its a Xeon which gives u more and differently organized CPU cache, 2) it has sooo... many stinkin' cores, 3) the price to performance ratio is rediculous. That being said, if you wish to purchase new, get one of the Gen4 i7s. They have some new capabilites in their instruction set that more and more video editing S/W is tying speed increases to.

The clock speed of your CPU is important, moreso as the number of cores decreases, but still important. It will have a very direct affect on your editing and rendering. Also, please do not purchase an AMD for video. It's been demonstrated over and over that modern Intel CPU fare far better at processing video (not trying to start a war here).

I have 8GB of RAM in my system and find it to be entirely adequate for medium weight video editing. I have 3 different editing programs including PowerDirector and none of the grabs more about 6GB. There are different speed grades of RAM, but going from the average grade several steps up will buy you, perhaps, 1-2% improvement -- and cost you a whole lotta bux.

The disk vs. SSD conversation has been addressed above. However, if you are buying a mobile platform, SSD is more rugged. If your laptop gets dropped and you loose even 8 hours of work, you'll be very very unhappy. In addition when purchasing disks don't buy the consumer versions with a 1 year warranty. Though you are backing up your work (you are - aren't you!), to have a disk die in the middle of a project is a major set-back and you may still loose some work.

Now to the video card. If you're just starting out, and not doing 4K the new Gen4 i7s built-in video will work. I do not believe the onboard video (any onboard video) can do 2 monitors though. When your are ready, you can then add a good high-end card like SoNic67 suggested. Though I have an AMD card, at this time it appears PowerDirector performs better with an nVidia beastie.

OK, this one is often overlooked: Power Supply. Make sure you have a good, solid power supply that is rated to hand the load and then some. Look at the MTBF and also the reviews posted (some are lemons, even from a reputable highly-rated supplier). O, and get a UPS (backup power). If the power spikes or "goes brown", it can cause extensive and sometimes hard to pinpoint damage to your beloved video editing system (including the backup device if it is attached).

If buying used, the thing i'd be most leary about is the hard drives (how its been treated - dropped etc). Also, highly recommended: completely reformat the hard driver (or SSD) and do a full install of your OS. You will save yourself a world of trouble.

All IMHO -- of course!

Icue

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Mar 19. 2015 18:14

[Post New]
Hi icue, I guess you are directing your comments at Lea56 and Myk not me (I already use a dual X5670 in an HP z600 workstation)

But Power Supply is a good point - another reason to get a Workstation - the z600 has a 650-Watts one standard.

The point you made about Ram is also true. Mine came with a bunch of ram - so the extra ram is not going to waste in my case - I created a Ram drive (use software like ImDisk to create dynamic ram drive) for some extra performance
Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
[Post New]
You may want to check this site:
http://www.overclock.net/
They're more than willing to help.
I built my own. It's easier than you think.
CPU is the most important. Get as many cores and as fast as you can afford. If you want to run more than one monitor, you'll need a GPU (video card) with extra RAM. At least 2GB of VRAM. With todays GPU, you don't really need a crazy power supply, unless you plan on over-clocking your CPU or running more than one GPU. Don't even try to use on board video, it will be terrible. Asus X79-Deluxe, Intel i7-4930K, EVGA GTX 980ti, G.Skill memory 16GB, Corsair HX1000 PSU, OCZ Vertex4 SSD, OCZ Vector180 480GB, (2)Western Digital Black 1TB(RAID0), Western Digital 2TB, LG Blue Ray Burner, Lite-on DVD Burner, Logitech G19 keyboard, Window