Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video clips are flickering.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Glad to hear that!

There's actually a way to preserve everything you've done, so follow these instructions carefully:

1. Close PD13

2. MOVE (don't copy) all the original clips that are in your project to a new folder

3. Download and install FormatFactory. Note that you may need to watch for adware

4. Open FF and click on the Video tab, then click MP4

5. In the Output Folder dropdown list, browse to the original folder where PD expects the clips to be and select that

6. Now drag your clips from the new folder into to the open window in FF, and click OK (you can do all of them or in batches)

7. Click on Click to Start and wait for the conversions to finish

8. At this point, you should have converted copies of all your original clips in the folder where PD13 can find them, but they have .MP4 extensions instead of .MTS

9. Since you have lots of files to rename, you won't want to do them manually. There are many ways to accomplish this, and this article has a good list, starting about halfway down the page. Choose whichever works best for you, and if you use the command prompt method just be sure you navigate to the directory/folder where your new MP4 clips are located before suing the ren command

10. open PD13 and get on with your editing!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JDE77 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 16, 2015 02:10 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Something interesting I just tried. I picked up the Sony A77 and shot a few clips and everyone of them is flickering when I open it up in PD13. I switched to MP4 and shot a few clips and it works perfect. SOOOOOOOOOOOO, question since I am a newbie. I mostly shoot volleyball indoor with not so great light. If I shoot in MP4 am I giving up the high quality video I am trying to obtain??
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Again, this is a codec issue. I've shot gymnastics for years, and the best thing you can do is to record in 60p (or 30p). Get rid of the 60i (which causes the tiny jagged horizontal lines) and use a progressive format.

Since MP4 works with PD13, set that once on your camera, use 60p and you'll be much happier

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Eldor,
Thanks for chiming in! So can you explain exactly what you did so that I can duplicate it and see if it fixes my problem? I hate to sound so ignorant but am literally a newbie!! Maybe some 1,2,3 steps?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi JED77, optodata, Eldor & all -

Here, PDR13 imported the clip in PDR13 without any kind of issue. No crashing. No flickering. Like Eldor, producing the file had no issues either. That would seem to support optodata's suggestion that it's a codec issue.

Two funny things I noticed: 1. There's a text section in MediaInfo (unusual?)* 2. When playing back the produced file in PDR, the marker under the preview window starts near the end of the clip (very odd)

I did a screen capture of the whole uninteresting event and it's on its way to YouTube.

Maybe that text section in MediaInfo is related to the way the A77 processes the videos.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2015 16:24

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Here's that screen capture - https://youtu.be/lpdEYkVh8Uk
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
I really didn't do anything! Simply added your .MTS file to my media library and clicked on the button to preview it. Previewed perfectly, without any flicker. Then I added it to the Timeline and selected it, and clicked Produce Range. I selected the options I stated above, and when done I played the result. Both through the media library using preview and externally. No flicker or color shift at all.

I am a newbie with this, but have lots of graphic editing experience (still photos) for many years and a fair bit of computer experience, and my guess is that there's something not quite right in your installation of PDR13. It could be a wayward remnant of an earlier version (I think you said you'd upgraded) or some bad interaction with something other software installed. In terms of video editing, my own system is as clean as new-fallen snow... no remnants of anything and no additional codecs or goodies installed.

Unfortunately, (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing) I don't know enough to help you diagnose this. But I think it should be possible to solve this without having to resort to converting all your video to MP4.

Good luck!

Quote: Eldor,
Thanks for chiming in! So can you explain exactly what you did so that I can duplicate it and see if it fixes my problem? I hate to sound so ignorant but am literally a newbie!! Maybe some 1,2,3 steps?
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
THIS IS SOOOOO WEIRD! ok so I just uploaded that exact same clip into PD13 and there was no flickering. Then I add another one from the same destination folder and it is flickering. By the way Tony, that was very strange. Is it because you had 2 clips in the editing section and you had the "movie" tab selected?

JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Eldor,
Well said and thanks again for your input. I think you might be onto something with the install. I am trying to contact CL to see about a clean install. Thanks again for you time.

I don't see "produce range" It's driving me crazy now! LOL
optodata
[Post New]

Just to be clear, Eldor and Tony had no trouble working with your videos because their systems had suitable codecs. They didn't do (or have to do) anything other than what you've already done.

You and I have trouble with the clips because the codecs intalled on our systems aren't fully compatible. You can search the forum for posts on K-lite and MultiAVCHD if you want to see if either of those options will solve the problem, but there's no guarantee.

YouTube/optodata

Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
A week ago I couldn't find Produce Range either! Until you know where it is and how to find it, you can pull all your hair out!

In the timeline, at the time marker (whatever that is really called) tucked up right under and next to it, are two yellow markers. You drag those out (left and right) to SELECT a range. Once you have done that, the menu options change and you will see Produce Range.

Hope this helps.

Well said and thanks again for your input. I think you might be onto something with the install. I am trying to contact CL to see about a clean install. Thanks again for you time.

I don't see "produce range" It's driving me crazy now! LOL
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Eldor,
How funny, I managed to locate it (thanks forum) I tried everything and its just plain strange. I will go crazy trying to fix this!!!

optodata,
Now I have a better understanding of what you mean about the codecs. I am going to use MP4 for the time being but still would like this to work. I still have a hard time believing that it worked perfectly with PD12 then BOOM a 10 minute upgrade and now all I got is problems! I really appreciate everyone's help. Anymore ideas please keep posing.
Eldor
[Post New]
But I have NOT installed anything other than PDR13! I didn't install any other elements (codecs or whatever) and I had no previous "stuff" installed for video editing. So my system was "pure". You certainly, and maybe JDE77 have "baggage".

The challenge is going to be to figure out what it is though. I don't have or even know anything about "K-lite and MultiAVCHD", and if it works for me without that stuff, why would you and JDE77 need to get additional (are they?) codecs?

Quote: Just to be clear, Eldor and Tony had no trouble working with your videos because their systems had suitable codecs. They didn't do (or have to do) anything other than what you've already done.

You and I have trouble with the clips because the codecs intalled on our systems aren't fully compatible. You can search the forum for posts on K-lite and MultiAVCHD if you want to see if either of those options will solve the problem, but there's no guarantee.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Here's the Range Selection > Produce Range thing... https://youtu.be/NIwauYXF76I

About the clips from your A77, I tried to use GSpot to tell me what codecs it was using but it told me nothing.

I have the K-Lite Codec Pack installed on my system(s). Eldor may well have third part codecs installed too or NOT, as I just read). That may be all that's required to avoid re-doing all your work. I honestly don't think you need to re-install PDR13.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2015 17:01

ynotfish
[Post New]
Yes - it's very strange that the A77 worked fine in PDR12 for you then got the flickers with PDR13. I can't explain that at all. Weird!

BTW - in the screen capture, the preview was in Movie mode because no clip was selected. Only when a clip or group of clips is highlighted does it switch into Clip mode.

Cheers - Tony
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow, I just want to scream...........and CRY!

This is all quite overwhelming. This used to be fun lol. Im just a dad that wants to make volleyball videos for his daughter and until now, I have managed just fine! bummer!

Thanks for the clarification Tony. I saw that after I watched it again..

Thanks optodata!

Thanks Eldor!

If anyone has an epiphany in the near future, drop another post. If customer service ends up helping me (NOT), I will post the fix.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the clarification Tony. I saw that after I watched it again..

Actually, my clarification wasn't completely correct. You are RIGHT!

The clip WAS selected, as pointed out by an observant viewer. Preview should have stayed in Clip mode but it switched itself to Movie.

You are right & PDR is wrong!

Cheers - Tony
optodata
[Post New]
Quote: Wow, I just want to scream...........and CRY!

This is all quite overwhelming. This used to be fun lol. Im just a dad that wants to make volleyball videos for his daughter and until now, I have managed just fine! bummer!
I'm sorry if we overloaded you with arcane technical gibberish. That certainly wasn't my intention; I was just trying to give you the straight scoop on what was going on and how you could fix it.

While it might seem helpful to understand why Tony's and Eldor's systems work when they "didn't do anything special," ultimately it doesn't change the situation with your system. At this point, the clearest answer is that for whatever reason, you can't directly edit your daughter's videos because of an incompatibility between your camera and PD13. Pure and simple.

Throughout this thread, people have come up with various steps that you can choose to take to make things easier. Some will work going forward some will help preserve the work you've already put in. It's up to you, though, to decide which ones make sense to do and which ones to ignore.

Just take a breath and look at this list when you're not feeling overwhelmed, and I think you'll see that you'll be able to get through this one obstacle fairly quickly:

• Going forward, record in MP4. That's it! It's your call about changing from 60i to 60p or 30p, and there's no wrong choice

• If you want to convert your existing clips, use FormatFactory to convert to MP4. This only needs to be done once

• If you want to keep all the editing you've done in that project, follow the steps I outlined to replace your original clips with converted ones. There are quite a few steps there, but you'll end up not losing any of your work. You can also decide to start over using converted clips

• You can look into K-lite and multiAVCHD if you have the time or interest. Installing one or both of those will likely solve the incompatibility you're experiencing, but we already know that recording straight to MP4 does the same thing, and that's much simpler!

I hope this helps put things in perspective. From where I sit, I think you've got a clear path to get on with what you really want to do, which is to make videos of your daughter to save, share and rememberlaughing

YouTube/optodata

Vyacheslav [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2015 06:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I disabled hardware acceleration in preferences of PD13. The problem was fixed now. Thanks all.
Eldor
[Post New]
Ynotfish just said, in another thread, that various media players also install codecs, so even though I did not KNOWINGLY install any codecs, I do have VLC player installed. I wonder if it installed codecs, and is the reason that I didn't have any trouble.

Perhaps JDE77 might install VLC (it's free, and considered to be an excellent all-purpose video viewer) to see if that changes anything for the better on his system. What do you think?

Quote: While it might seem helpful to understand why Tony's and Eldor's systems work when they "didn't do anything special," ...

JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ive disabled what i think is the hardware accel. Can someone make a list of what exactly to disable?

Eldor,
Thx for the heads uo about VLC. My question is even if VLC had codecs, how will that change my viewing problem in PD13?