Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Editing Audio - Removing "hum"
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
Hum...

That's what one of my cameras picked up on the audio track (probably from some overhead lights?) besides the voice of the presenter.

Is there any way to remove/reduce the hum without loosing the speaker's voice?

All I have is WaveEditor. I tried the remove noise setting but it didn't seem to have any effect on this.

Any other software that might be better at removing the hum?

Thank you.
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Eldor,

why don't you try the free Audacity?
You will find many video tutorials and other tuts for it.
I used this for years - does different jobs quite sufficient.

Cheers,
Nina

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Rlumpy [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tucson, AZ Joined: Mar 29, 2014 19:47 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I record concerts in a venue with lots of low frequency noise. I use a Zoom H4N up close for the audio, but there's still a lot of rumble and hum. The first thing I do in my workflow is import the audio into Audacity. I use the high pass filter to cut out anything below the fundamentals of the musical instruments.

Hum is 60Hz in the US (50Hz in Europe). But you may have harmonics at 120, 180, 240. Audacity has a nice spectrum analyzer that will show you where your hum is. If your hum is only 60Hz, you may want to high pass filter at 100Hz and 24dB per octave. You can play with the filter and spectrum analyzer until you get what you need. If you have significant 120Hz, you may need to filter at 150Hz or so. Anything higher, and you may be getting into the male vocal range.
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Nina and Rlumpy!

I'll check out Audacity when I get home. (Darn, ANOTHER learning curve to conquer!!)

(I guess that to use Audacity on the audio I will have to split it from the video in my clip(s). Would there be any issues in re-aligning it - lip sync - when I bring it back?)

Any opinions on the Cyberlink program called AudioDirector?

Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you Nina and Rlumpy!

I'll check out Audacity when I get home. (Darn, ANOTHER learning curve to conquer!!)

(I guess that to use Audacity on the audio I will have to split it from the video in my clip(s). Would there be any issues in re-aligning it - lip sync - when I bring it back?)

Thanks

Actually for most videos you do not have to extract the audio.

Audacity can directly extract the audio from the video file.

Just open the video in Audacity.

Most of the tools for removing HUM are at Effect Menu.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2015 16:33

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Rlumpy [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tucson, AZ Joined: Mar 29, 2014 19:47 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, you can import the video file into Audacity, it will automatically extract the video tracks. Then you do your filtering, normalization, denoising, whatever, and export the audio tracks. Open Power Director, import your video. Then you have to import the new track into Power Director, align it to the start, and mute the original soundtrack associated with the video.

I hope this makes sense.
Eldor
[Post New]
Rlumpy (and thank you too, Carl!)...

I may have gotten myself into trouble here... I spent hours working on my video and much of it was with the Multicam Editor. There are only a few brief sections from one camera in particular where I want to eliminate the hum. What do I do now? Do I have to start over from scratch?

I don't see any way to save/take part of my video from what's in the timeline, and save it somewhere in order to get it to Audacity.

Maybe I need to start another thread asking about how to save bits and pieces of already edited video so that it could be reused.

Quote: Yes, you can import the video file into Audacity, it will automatically extract the video tracks. Then you do your filtering, normalization, denoising, whatever, and export the audio tracks. Open Power Director, import your video. Then you have to import the new track into Power Director, align it to the start, and mute the original soundtrack associated with the video.

I hope this makes sense.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Two possibilities...

If an original file (seen in the media area at the top-left) has hum, right-click it and EXTRACT AUDIO. Then open in Audacity, make the fix and import to PD, substituting it for the original.

If instead it's a small clip on the timeline, right-click and UNLINK AUDIO AND VIDEO. Right-click the audio clip and EDIT AUDIO in Wave Editor. In Wave Editor, click the X (top-right) to exit and answer Yes to SAVE. The file appears in the PD media window...

Right-click on it and OPEN FILE LOCATION. The file shown there can be brought into Audacity.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2015 20:28

[Post New]
[Quote = Rlumpy] Sim, Rápido Rápido Rápido Rápido rápido Você PODE importar o Arquivo de vídeo Pará o Audacity, ELE IRA extrair automáticamente Como Trilhas de vídeo. Entao Você faz SUA filtragem, Normalização, denoising, QUALQUÉR Que seja, e Como Exportar Informação Indisponível de áudio. Abrir Power Director, importar o vídeo. Entao Rápido Rápido Rápido Rápido rápido Você tem that importar Uma nova Faixa em Poder Director, alinhá-lo com o Início, e silenciar a Trilha sonora original, Associada com o vídeo. Espero Que ISSO Faz SENTIDO. [/ Quote]

Somando hum ISSO borgus1 mostrou. Rápido Rápido Rápido Rápido rápido Você Só PODE selecionar o clipe that Rápido Rápido Rápido Rápido rápido você deseja salvar Apenas o áudio. Selecione com cursor amarelo Apenas o clipe, Produzir Botão Range, selecione a Opção Salvar Produzir Botão de Arquivo de áudio, ESCOLHA o encoder e Qualidade.

[img= alt="veja a imagem de casal" width="498" height="613" ]posts/downloadAttach/17539.page[/img]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/embed/eDmdHszCrak[/youtube]
[Thumb - saveaudio.jpg]
 Filename
saveaudio.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
147 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Mar 16. 2015 09:08

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Eldor -

In answer to your other question, yes - AudioDirector has a dedicated hum removal tool. It functions in simple or advanced mode. I've done no comparison testing with ADR & Audacity so I can't provide any advice on that.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Eldor
[Post New]
Thank you, PlaySound!

I'd seen mention of "Produce Range" a few times but had not been able to find it. Your pointing out the yellow cursor has clarified it for me.

Just finished upgrading my computer, so I'm going to roll up my sleeves and get back to learning about video editing.

Cheers!

Quote: You can only select the clip you want to save only the audio.
Select with yellow cursor just the clip, Produce Range button, select the Save Produce Audio file button, choose the encoder and quality.
Eldor
[Post New]
Thanks Tony.

Since I'm well within my first 30 days with Power Director Ultra, after talking to CyberLink customer service, I'm going to get a refund and purchase Power Director Ultimate Suite, for really not a lot more money than the Ultra cost me. And that'll give me an integrated color and audio editor (ColorDirector and AudioDirector) which is much easier than having to export to some external program and then re-import.

Audacity looks a lot more complicated than I'm ready (or needing) to deal with at the moment.

Cheers!

Quote: Hi Eldor -

In answer to your other question, yes - AudioDirector has a dedicated hum removal tool. It functions in simple or advanced mode. I've done no comparison testing with ADR & Audacity so I can't provide any advice on that.

Cheers - Tony
Eldor
[Post New]
Thanks for your help, Borgus1.

Please clarify the "...import to PD, substituting it for the original" comment. If I EXTRACT AUDIO from my clip, if I understand correctly, that leaves me with two separate files... one for the video and the other for the audio. When I re-import the audio file after editing in an external editor, do you mean substitute it for my extracted audio file, or is there some way of getting it back together in one file with the video.

And if that can be done, do those changes "ripple" down to the partial clips I've already placed into the Timeline (using Multicam Editor)?

Now that my Multicam editing is done, does this mean that option is no longer available to me unless I start completely over?

Or is the only option (other than starting over) your second suggestion in that case?

Thanks again!

Quote: Two possibilities...

If an original file (seen in the media area at the top-left) has hum, right-click it and EXTRACT AUDIO. Then open in Audacity, make the fix and import to PD, substituting it for the original.

If instead it's a small clip on the timeline, right-click and UNLINK AUDIO AND VIDEO. Right-click the audio clip and EDIT AUDIO in Wave Editor. In Wave Editor, click the X (top-right) to exit and answer Yes to SAVE. The file appears in the PD media window...

Right-click on it and OPEN FILE LOCATION. The file shown there can be brought into Audacity.
Eldor
[Post New]
Sorry to be so slow on this, but I don't see any "Save Produce Audio" file button.

Quote: ...select the Save Produce Audio file button, choose the encoder and quality.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Sorry to be so slow on this, but I don't see any "Save Produce Audio" file button.

Quote: ...select the Save Produce Audio file button, choose the encoder and quality.

In Produce you see the music notes.

You chose a audio profile and hit Start.

The audio file is written to where you tell it to go, or to the Export Folder.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: All I have is WaveEditor. I tried the remove noise setting but it didn't seem to have any effect on this.

If fixed frequency, like 60Hz and/or harmonics, WaveEditor with free VST plug-in like dtblkfx http://rekkerd.org/dtblkfx/ would easily correct. This approach maintains all the MC editing and only modifies the associated audio without going through other editing gymnastics.

Basic repair of a somewhat similar audio issue was done with detailed pic of FFT with the issue identified and a set of correction filters to remove issue. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/38365.page

Jeff
Darp1 [Avatar]
Member Location: USA Joined: Nov 18, 2013 10:13 Messages: 122 Offline
[Post New]
Hello I am dealing with same issue. My hum is epic, like a Cessna 150 at 1,000' I will have to figure out where it came from, but have a 8 hour video of Sleep Study to pick up Central Sleep Apnea and the hum is already there, so have to fix it. It is loud and super steady. I can hear the breathing, BTW want wind sound (breathing in hose with mic inside), but the electronic humm is so loud after 5mins can not stand it.

I found this to my pleasant surprise on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxuJLb4tjJ4

That static noise removal is built right into PD, in the Fix/Enhance button menu. And he demos it working great, with less steady humm than mine yet extracts it in about 10 seconds, amazingly well. A perfect solution for me and the original poster on this thread.

One problem I tried it and had tiny effect on my humm. Then saw this thread and tried AudioDirector, under effects it has "NoiseGate" again just a tiny effect to my surprise.

I then found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT7JtQrUNWk Which again got wonderful results by using the "Restore Menu" in Audiodirector, which I have. But when I tried it, I could remove the humm but at cost of 75% of the real audio. Tried the Hiss removal too.

I am baffled. The Humm I have is classic and steady, do not understand why presets can not touch it and as have selcted the humm part only in video, to tech it, that aspect of AudioDirector "Restore" still could not remove it. I am not an audio pro.

So here is 15 seconds of the video with the humm. What am I doing wrong? And an aside, instead of going to Audicity I am glad Cyberlink put humm removal into PD, just need to get it to work. https://vid.me/9xzz

Thanks in advance if anyone here can figure out how to remove that hiss.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2015 19:05

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Is something like this okay?

Jeff

EDIT: My bad, didn't catch you want the wind breathing sound
 Filename
Produce.wma
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
361 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
283 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2015 19:17

Darp1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Found this, visual repair, in AudioDirector, much better using magic wand and harmonics it got about 75% first pass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQyzFE8_8ZY

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2015 19:34

Darp1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I take it back, it took out hum and took out my voice and left things being clicked, mechanial sounds, back to square one. How it removes complex things in demo videos yet can not figure out classical hum surprises me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2015 20:06