Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produce Video With Alpha Channel
jerryd2558 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 03, 2011 19:50 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
Is it possible in PD13 to produce a video with an alpha channel?
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
Yes. I'm trying to find the tutorial I saw. You can add an Alpha effect more than once to make it darker. Such as smoke.
Still looking. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
jerryd2558 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please pass on the ttute if you find it. Thanks
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

If not some major changes have been introduced in the latest builds, you can not
produce RGB+Alpha out from PD.
You can insert an alpha file to timeline and it will work as supposed.
To get around the fact one can’t produce an alpha file,
produce your item(s) on a colorboard – green, black, white, blue…..whatever color will work best
according to your prime video file, and then chromakey out the colorboard.

Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi jerryd2558 -

The tutorial Myk mentioned is possibly the one Maliek posted here - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40269.page#208096

As Nina correctly states, alpha channel videos can be imported and used in PDR13 but we cannot produce/export videos containing alpha channel.

What is your intended purpose in rendering a video with alpha channel? The only purpose I can think of is to re-use it for editing or to sell via a stockclips site.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 09. 2015 16:27

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
jerryd2558 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Purpose: for reuse in a project I produce weekly. If I could produce with alpha channel, much time could be saved.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Jerry -

Is it a long sequence? What duration? There may be other possibilities, though I agree being able to save the alpha channel for that purpose would definitely be an advantage.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 09. 2015 17:11

jerryd2558 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Tony, thanks for your interest. Specifically, what I do is record our worship service at church every Sunday for upload to Vimeo. It usually runs about 1 hr, 15 minutes. I use a motion lower third title for each person on the program, and even though it may be a different person, their job description is the same. For example, one lower third title may say Jane Doe on top, and SBC Music Director on the bottom. The next week, it may be Sally Doe, SBC Music Director. If I had a lower third with an alpha channel that has "SBC Music Director" permanently imbedded, all I would have to do is add the person's name each week. I could create a variety of lower thirds ahead of time and reuse them every week. For any given service, there may a dozen or so lower thirds. Does this make sense to you?
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I am not absolutely certain, but I believe once you have the clip set up with the alpha channel, instead of producing it, save the project. You should be able to import that project and reuse it in the next one. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
[Post New]
Jerry -

What Jaimesque posted is exactly right.

For what you want, I'm not even sure that an alpha channel video is needed... unless you happen to be using a particular lower third clip.

If you're using on of the title templates from PDR, all you need to do is modify the template so the bottom line says "SBC Music Director" - save it as a new template - then just change the name with each new video.

If you happen to be using an alpha channel clip, like this one http://www.videoblocks.com/video/business-lower-third-5 all you need to do is make a title template to match the lower third clip:
Top Line: Generic text to modify each week (name)
Bottom Line: SBC Music Director

... like this one - http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/135971027 (that matches the alpha clip linked above)

That title template can just be dropped on a higher numbered track, shown in the attached screenshot.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Title over Alpha.png]
 Filename
Title over Alpha.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
177 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
78 time(s)

jerryd2558 [Avatar]
[Post New]
You guys are right. I think I was over complicating the issue. Saving as a project should accomplish my purpose. Thanks for your input.