Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HELP Creating Backups (.iso's)
[Post New]
I am trying to rip my previous projects to .iso's or any other sort of backup but cannot. These are home movies of my family and I am doing it just in case something happens to the original disc. I've tried AnyDVDHD, ImgBurn, Handbrake and MakeMKV. They all fail on nearly every disc that I've made on PowerDirector. In the years before I had PowerDirector, I used Adobe Premiere Elements and those discs ripped just fine. I've tried two different computers with BD readers/burners but have not had any luck.

Anyone else aware of issues with making backups of PowerDirector projects?

Thanks for any help!

The error varies depending on the software used but it always has to do with the 'disc structure' or an incompatible medium (despite being halfway through the burn)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 26. 2015 21:07

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
FILE|EXPORT|PACK PROJECT to a folder. Burn that folder (and the files it contains) as data to a CD or DVD. All materials used in the project will be saved.

If instead you want to save a produced project, the .wmv, mkv, mov, etc. file that has been produced can be similarly saved as data.

You might also burn multiple discs directly from PD's CREATE DISC module, or "create a folder" instead, which will contain the files needed to burn a DVD.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 27. 2015 00:09

[Post New]
Quote: FILE|EXPORT|PACK PROJECT to a folder. Burn that folder (and the files it contains) as data to a CD or DVD. All materials used in the project will be saved.

If instead you want to save a produced project, the .wmv, mkv, mov, etc. file that has been produced can be similarly saved as data.

You might also burn multiple discs directly from PD's CREATE DISC module, or "create a folder" instead, which will contain the files needed to burn a DVD.

Thanks for the input. The first choice seems like it is a step I should have done after burning my disc - but those files are long gone. It's definitely what I will do from this point forward. Thanks.

What I am trying to do is produce a backup to the discs that I have produced - basically 'rip' them or make an .iso copy somehow. The problem seems to be the structure of the PD produced discs. I'm not sure why that would be though. I've tried to rip the discs via AnyDVD, Handbrake, MakeMKV. I've tried to go into the file system and just copy the stream from the BD Folder to my HDD. Probably tried a few more but nothing works because of the 'structure errors' or the incompatible medium' or 'i/o' errors.

....just trying to make backups of the discs I already have produced
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: FILE|EXPORT|PACK PROJECT to a folder. Burn that folder (and the files it contains) as data to a CD or DVD. All materials used in the project will be saved.

Thanks for the input. The first choice seems like it is a step I should have done after burning my disc - but those files are long gone. It's definitely what I will do from this point forward. Thanks.

What I am trying to do is produce a backup to the discs that I have produced - basically 'rip' them or make an .iso copy somehow. The problem seems to be the structure of the PD produced discs. I'm not sure why that would be though. I've tried to rip the discs via AnyDVD, Handbrake, MakeMKV. I've tried to go into the file system and just copy the stream from the BD Folder to my HDD. Probably tried a few more but nothing works because of the 'structure errors' or the incompatible medium' or 'i/o' errors.

....just trying to make backups of the discs I already have produced

If you want duplicates of your Disks, a Disk Burning Software can make a image of the disk (ISO) without the process of 'ripping'.

There are several free and not free Disk Burning Applications.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

NonnyM [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 04, 2012 13:40 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
FWIWorth I produce in MT2S files as it suits all my Panasonic HD gear and TV output.

To make backup copies of my produced files, I load them into PD on the timeline and burn the copy from there.

I used to make AVCHD DVDs (needing a file structure) but by chance I found that my TV would read native MT2S files straight from the DVD.

I produce a file which I copy to a memory card / stick and view it on the TV, If all the editing is OK, I make a file copy on the HDisk then use the copy on the timeline to burn a disc on PD, seems no slower than trying to make duplicates by other burning methods.

Rgds

16:12 UK / GMT

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 28. 2015 11:15

Win 7 Home SP 1, PD 13
Processor i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), (RAM) 8.00 GB, Sys Drive 120 gig SSD, Data Drive 1 Terrabyte, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ii , Portable USB3 2 Terrabyte

[Post New]
Quote:
If you want duplicates of your Disks, a Disk Burning Software can make a image of the disk (ISO) without the process of 'ripping'.

There are several free and not free Disk Burning Applications.

That's what I'm using. I moved on to AnyDVD HD and others only because I cannot seen to create an .iso with the copying software (ImBurn, etc). These are all Dual layer discs (50GB) and IngBurn won't do dual layer at all it doesn't seem. BD Clone (SlySoft) won't copy them either but they play fine in my Blu ray player.

Not sure why this has been so hard.