Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
3D Blu-Ray .ISO plays at 24.000fps and not 23.976fps
THX-UltraIII [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2009 04:24 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
It seems like when I run PowerDVD (14) my 3D .ISO movies are played back at 24fps. My projector also reports this. After closing PowerDVD my AMD desktop is on 1920x1080p24 profile too...... I can switch my AMD desktop to 1920x1080p23 then (which is actually 1920x1080@23,976 as you guys might know already) but PowerDVD somehow automatically switches to 24 as it seems.
This 24 vs. 23,976 problem is a common problem with standalone media players but I cannot imagine PowerDVD has no awareness of this problem?!
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
What kind of problem is it giving you? Ever hear of rounding? Is this an esoteric question?

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
THX-UltraIII [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: What kind of problem is it giving you? Ever hear of rounding? Is this an esoteric question?

I have no clue how far your knowledge goes and I don t mean to judge you one this but did you ever read about dropped/repeated frames?

The 23,976 vs. 24,000 issue is one of the biggests reasons why Oppo won the mediaplayer war a few years back.

PowerDVD seems to NOT support 23,976 output and this will be a 100% dealbreaker for a lot of HTPC entheusiasts.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry for my little joke. I keep forgetting there are people who would pay $500 to $1500 for an Oppo blu disc player.

I would disagree that this would be a deal breaker for "lots of HTPC enthusiasts" If it were, Cyberlink would be working on it along with the other developers of blu ray software programs. If you feel that there would be a significant advantage to having the other 4 frames per second, then make that suggestion to Cyberlink directly.

This is a users group and have no input into what Cyberlink develops. By the way, what program are you using now? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
THX-UltraIII [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply.

It are not 4 frames per seconds that is the problem with this. A movie runs at 23,976 frames per second. This means that a player has to output at 23,976 for getting no dropped or repeated frames. PowerDVD clearly outputs @24,000. This means that per second it plays 0.024 frames too many. This means that after 41.67 seconds (1:0.024=41.666...) it has played ONE frame too many and by freezing for the time of 1 frame (which means that you see the latest frame twice as long as you should see it) the player compensates for it. Most people will not notice this because they actually run their display devices@60 so then you won t notice problems because pull-down then comes in handy. However, if you want it to be perfect and your display device (so eg. ALL available Home Theater projectors) supports 23,976 you want your source to output @23,976 and not @24 like PowerDVD does. The end result of using PowerDVD with a projector that accepts 23,976 is that you can clearly see a repeated frame (little stutter) every 41-42 seconds in a movie.

I m running PowerDVD 14.
stevek
[Post New]
Thank you. I missed the decimal point (US uses a dot) and than you for the explanation. I guess I blink when the frames are repeated.

Again my suggestion is to contact Cyberlink directly.

If PowerDVD isn't doing what you want, why are you using it compared to another software program --- or they all the same. .
THX-UltraIII [Avatar]
[Post New]
There are 2 HTPC 3D .iso solution out there that also supports menu's:

PowerDVD and Total Media Theater. TMT is dead so PDVD is the only available option....... That s why I use it
stewart_pk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2014 06:36 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
I've watched quite a few 3D blurays and have not noticed it yet but thanks for the information.

I have configured PDVD to decode audio and send it via PCM and I assume it's not doing any reclocking. THX-UltraIII you could look into a piece of software called Reclock but you may have to configure PDVD to decode Dolby and DTS audio internally like I do to make it work; I'm not sure but you could look into it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 11. 2015 19:45

THX-UltraIII [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I've watched quite a few 3D blurays and have not noticed it yet but thanks for the information.

I have configured PDVD to decode audio and send it via PCM and I assume it's not doing any reclocking. THX-UltraIII you could look into a piece of software called Reclock but you may have to configure PDVD to decode Dolby and DTS audio internally like I do to make it work; I'm not sure but you could look into it.
Let PDVD do the decoding is not possible for me. I need the unmodified lossless bitstream signal in order to make my D-Box Motion Code system work. You do know that the initial purpose of reclock is not to sync audio but to get rid of the chipmunk effect?

I ll inform PDVD about this bug.
Boris123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 30, 2014 11:20 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
It's also the reason why you get ocasional jitters and freezes, as it needs to realign itself and synch, its why all hardware players are always better.. And like you mentioned, there is no other software player for 3D blurays, I'm guessing because its very hard to make. So PowerDVD is the only one atm.
peterjcat [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 28, 2016 20:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry to reopen an old thread, but did anything ever come of this? I've just installed PowerDVD 15 and am noticing repeated frames every 41 seconds when playing 3D ISOs. Has anyone had any response from Cyberlink on the issue?