Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video jittery / stuttering with mkv files only
Dani_A [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:15 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your answers.
I'm using PowerDVD 14 on a desktop computer with the following configuration:
- Intel i5-4690T processor
- ASUS Z97I-Plus Motherboard
- 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
- Samsung 840Evo SSD
- WD HDD and Silverstone Blu-ray optical drive
- Windows 8.1 64 bit.
Drivers, operating system and software, are all updated to the latest version (obviously i'm using Intel Graphics drivers).
The system is connected via hdmi to an AV Receiver which in turn is connected to a plasma hdtv.

I'm very satisfied with the system, except for MKV files playback (every mkv file i'm playing has the same problem).
Blu-ray discs are playing absolutely fine and the same for "blu-ray folders" from hdd.
Videos from my hd camera (M2TS format) are also playing very well.

Unluckly, MKV files are an exception. No problem with audio, but video is always jittery.
I mean, the video plays well most of time, but every few seconds (not at a regular frequency), the video seems to "skip forward" (or maybe freeze?) for a few frames.

I tried many times to adjust frequency from 24p, to 50p or 60p but almost nothing changed (sometimes i got minor improvements).

Can you please help? Hope to hear soon from you guys, thanks again
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dani-A,

I looked for that problem on-line and found that this seems to be somewhat common (mostly with VLC). Have you tried playing thos mkv files with the hardware setting diabled?

Go to Settings, Player Settings, Tru Theater Enhancements and select "Software decoding". If that works, you may want to just keep it there if everything else plays OK. I use software and it has solved a lot of issues but I don;t yypicall use mkv files.
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Dani_A [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Stevek and thanks for your reply.
I'll try what you suggest as soon as i can and then let you know about results.
Thanks again, hope i'll be back soon
Manoroid [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2010 23:07 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
Oh man this is a huge issue I have as well. Only playing Mkv files it seems like. Its impossible to fast forward or rewind the video cuz it then looks like it drops frames down to 12fps or so. Ive had this issue for the past 3 versions. I pay all this money to upgrade every year and I get this kind of performance.

Cyberlink please get your act together.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Oh man this is a huge issue I have as well. Only playing Mkv files it seems like. Its impossible to fast forward or rewind the video cuz it then looks like it drops frames down to 12fps or so. Ive had this issue for the past 3 versions. I pay all this money to upgrade every year and I get this kind of performance.

Cyberlink please get your act together.

In your case, have you contacted support? This is not it.

Can you tell us more about the mkv files - where did you get them, what bit rate, high definition or standard, etc. As you knowmkv is a container and therefore can contain one of several codecs.

Have you tried playing those files with one of the FREE mkv players available?

Just goes to prove that you can't solve some computer problems by throwing newer software at it. It looks like you have had issues of this and other player problems for years. Did you ever get any of them solved? Have you looked at your computer and drivers and other programs for some potential problems or incompatibility?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2015 17:10

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Manoroid [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2010 23:07 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
Its really weird. Plays spectacular on power media player app for windows 8.1 on my surface pro 3 and my windows 8.1 desktop. But when I run the actual desktop app with mkv's it stutters when I move ahead or backwards with the slider and let it play after that. I actually ran a frames per second program while I ran power dvd and the mkv files actually run down to 12fps .... only way to fix is to restart the movie. No idea...just lost.
stevek
[Post New]
Quote: Its really weird. Plays spectacular on power media player app for windows 8.1 on my surface pro 3 and my windows 8.1 desktop. But when I run the actual desktop app with mkv's it stutters when I move ahead or backwards with the slider and let it play after that. I actually ran a frames per second program while I ran power dvd and the mkv files actually run down to 12fps .... only way to fix is to restart the movie. No idea...just lost.

Any idea what kind of mkv file it is>? Mkv is a container that could different video formats in the container. Can you point or link to a mkv file that is giving you a problem? I'd like to play with it to see what I can get.

[Post New]
I know the video bitrate and video frame rate may affect the smooth playback. I would suggest you to try other settings for video encoding. Hope this may help you.
stevek
[Post New]
Quote: I know the video bitrate and video frame rate may affect the smooth playback. I would suggest you to try other settings for video encoding. Hope this may help you.

Perhaps this would be an answer to give in the Power Director part of the forum or for Home made videos. Neither of these are the case. Please explain your post. Do you have Power Director? Which version? Are you able to play MKV files without the jitter? Do you know what the original problem was? .
Dani_A [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey guys, i have some news.
I just uninstalled AVG free antivirus and the problem was 99% solved! Much, much better now.
I also installed Avira free and everything keeps working fine.
Really strange to me, but that's it.
stevek
[Post New]
Actually not surprising bit I didn't remember to ask.

Some anti-virus settings tell the program to scan everythign being written to or from the computer hard drive. Make sure you check Avira's setting to excluse items alreay on your hard drive.

I'm glad you found and were able to correct the problem. .