Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
nVidia CUDA encoder
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: How does the above impact the GTX960?

It doesn't, not really applicable. A big step backwards trying to enable older CUDA dll's vs NVENC on a modern card.

Quote: And are you aware of any video related software that makes use of the HEVC capabilities?

PD13 both encode and decode. Many examples of encoding, attached two pics show decoding during playback. CPU decoding with unloaded GPU and GPU decoding with unloaded CPU. A playback "sample" 4K created with PD used as test case so any user can easily compare (4K, 60p, 50Mbps).

Jeff
[Thumb - CPU decode.png]
 Filename
CPU decode.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
344 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
457 time(s)
[Thumb - GPU_decode.png]
 Filename
GPU_decode.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
341 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
442 time(s)
[Post New]
Like is stated in first post, this applies only for older generation cards, not needed for new ones:
Basically, that applies only to the cards in Tesla or Fermi generation (GeForce series 2xx, 4xx or 5xx, and Quadro series without a "K" in name). If we update the drivers past version 337.88, it wipes out the CUDA encoding capability of nVidia cards (so HA in in PowerDirector disappears).
The Kepler and Maxwell generation cards rely on a integrated hardware encoder (nvenc), so they will just switch the hardware acceleration from CUDA to newer nvenc.
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: How does the above impact the GTX960? (should get mine Monday late, already installed the latest drivers etc.)

I should have mine Thur or Fri this week. I bought the OC'd EVGA GTX960. Great price at $209.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487091

So as I understand this thread, we can install the latest nvidia drivers and have full capability in PD13. Correct?
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
[Post New]
nVidia drops CUDA encoder just because they want to promote new NVENC technology (and sell new cards!)
anyway, my GTX960 can enable hardware encoder even with 4K 60fps profile.
[Thumb - GTX960+UHD.png]
 Filename
GTX960+UHD.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
158 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
463 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 12. 2015 08:34

RykersMom2013 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 07, 2015 10:28 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Hey there sonic67. i dont know how i missed this thread but now i understand what you were saying about drivers not mattering in my case. Thanks for your hard work and explanations
[Post New]
Funny thing is that the same issue happens with Corel. I have their previous generation NLE (VideoStudio X7) and trying to encode h264 with my new nVidia card resulted in an error ("encoder is missing"). I added the three .dll files and all is good again!
GPU utilization is up to 80% via CUDA encoder (not the video engine = nvenc hardware, X7 doesn't know how to use that one).

Don't know about their newer NLS X8, because I have bought into Cyberlink products, I feel that they have a better update cycle.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26. 2015 21:12

Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using Outofhere's fix for some time now, and I've noticed that with the latest Nvidia driver 347.88 everything PD 13 video wise works better than before ( ish!).

One thing I do find annoying though, is that my preferred Nvidia desktop colour settings wont stay active. Powering up the old PC ( I'm running win 7 ) in the morning, the Nvidia setting default to "Other Application control Settings"! I have to manually select " Use Nvidia Settings" even though it's only a small adjustment! Once selected they do stay "put" for the rest of the day.

If I go back to using an earlier driver, one that does not require "The Fix", the Nvidiai settings stay fixed. However using PD 13 timeline with any fx, becomes frustantly VERY slow to the point of the play head jumping to the end of the time line.

I've gone back to using the fix as better PD user experience is, I think, more important than having to switch settings in the morning.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Heres another mention... why doesnt the Forum highlight my bad speeeeling as the old one dib?

Have a good Easter

Cheers

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 02. 2015 14:21

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
ALPER [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 04, 2015 10:33 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
How can I find a project file to check and learn how to edit
Gavin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 14, 2015 08:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thinking of adding Quadro 5800 to my system. Should I expect to run into this trouble with that card?
[Post New]
Quadro FX 5800? It is an old generation (Tesla), forget about it. Get for the same money GTX960.
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
The EVGA OC GTX960 is a great card. I have one.
Check Newegg. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
Retroflex [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 24, 2015 09:02 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I just purchased PowerDirector 13 from the online store. In my case, neither NVENC nor CUDA seem to work correctly with PDR13. If I run the programme with my NVIDIA 840M card with Hardware Acceleration enabled, the preview window displays black when I click on any clip in the Media Library window - though I can hear the sounds. However, the clip displays fine if I drop it onto a timeline and play from there. Also, in CAPTURE mode, the camera preview window displays black as well.

These problems disappear when I run PDR with the onboard Intel graphics card. Thing is, I purchased this programme with the intention of utilising the NVIDIA card. For some reason too, I can't force PDR13 to use the NVIDIA card by default. No matter what I do, it reverts to the Integrated card. The latest driver has already been installed from NVIDIA. Anyone had any similar experience?

P.S. HA is working fine with Premiere Pro CC on the same system.
[Post New]
Have you patch to the latest?
It can do HW encode with H.264 on my platform, your 840M should do so. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
Retroflex [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 24, 2015 09:02 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, I have all the latest drivers and patches installed as far as I know. I can use HA on the timeline - and also while exporting out a file (or as PDR calls it, Producing). It just doesn't work in the media library and webcam capture.
YNLExposure
Member Location: Nevada Joined: Sep 25, 2011 18:14 Messages: 65 Offline
[Post New]
My i7 4770 16GB Ram and twin GTX 970's will not render a H.264 BluRay. It will render an MPEG2 BluRay.

Will the inclusion of old dlls help me?
[Post New]
No, you shouldn't need those because your card has internal hardware NVENC. But... what do you mean by "twin"? It might not work correctly if have two cards in SLI.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 31. 2015 18:31

YNLExposure
[Post New]
Yes, have two 970's in SLI.
Bubblea01 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 24, 2015 08:03 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

"...My i7 4770 16GB Ram and twin GTX 970's will not render a H.264 BluRay. It will render an MPEG2 BluRay. .."

I have a similar problem to above,

my I7 4770 32Gb RAM, windows 10 has inbuilt HD4600 card and also NVidea GTX970 card

It will neither import or render files with the AVC H264 (MP4, M2TS, MKV) on PD13.

problem 1 (importing)

------------------------------

I've used files that previously worked to test import and I get the message

"an error has occurred while opening this media file..."

problem 2 (producing)

------------------------------

Using the sample file 'boats.wmv' provided by Cyberlink I cannot render with the H.264 AVC optiuon but CAN with the H.265 HEVC option.

Setting hardware encoding on or off makes no difference

I don't know if this is Windows 10, the Nvidea driver or PD13 that is the problem.

I do know that PD13 with windows 8.1 on my laptop with Intel HD4600 and nvidea Quadro K1100M works fine.

Any ideas welcome.

Do I need to copy these CUDA files across?
YNLExposure
[Post New]
I have two GTX 970s NOT IN SLI

Updated PD13 patch today, Updated nVidia driver today 355.60

I can produce files for YOUTUBE uploading MP4 or WMF

Still will not produce an AVCHD disk, crashes to desktop.

Burning an MPEG2 1920 60i BLURAY without problems.

After using PD for years, making SD and AVCHD DVDs, fairly disheartening.