Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 13 nvidia cuda support?
grea146 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: aa Joined: Jun 21, 2014 11:31 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi i have had powerdirector version before but never had any issues with hardware acceleration. But recently changed to a comp with dual nvidia gt graphics cards running in sli configuration... I updated my cuda drivers and disabled sli because i also use davinci resolve. But in powerdirector i don't see any way of utilizing dual graphics card or cuda. All i wis for open cl? How do i utilize dual graphics cards or cuda? aa
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Be patient.
Your thread title is perfect, and before too much time goes by,
the Nvidia experts will provide you with much wisdom, Glasshopper.
Translation-
Sonic and a few others have CUDA well studied, and will provide you with the instructions to get CUDA working, no matter the driver date.
I would assist, but it's not in my "wheelhouse".

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 20. 2015 20:58

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
SLI is for 3D games, and does not help with video encoding. No need to bother with it if you don't play games.

While CUDA itself can take advantage of multiple video cards, the CUDA video encoding software used in PD cannot - in my experience, it runs on the fastest video card you have in your system. I have confirmed this multiple times in many configurations, even some with SLI. I think others have, as well.

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)
[Post New]
You are using one of the GPU's if you tick the right boxes. Also, you need to provide more info about your system, for example what cards you actually have, what CPU you actually have...
grea146 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: aa Joined: Jun 21, 2014 11:31 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Its A Lenovo y500, With Intel I7 - 3630m @ 2.4g, 16G Ram and 2x geforce gt 750m@2g eachan windows 8.1 (64) aa
[Post New]
Why people spend money on "gaming" laptops is beyond my understanding, especially with two video cards crammed inside an "ultra bay"...
Now you have to deal with forcing "Optimus Technology" to use the nVidia video card with PowerDirector and hope that it will work.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2015 14:37

WartHawg75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 21:33 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Well some of us have jobs that take us all over the world, and having a nice laptop that you can do just about everything you can do on your desktop that is anchored at home fits the bill. Not only can you get stuff done, but you can get some entertainment and have some comforts of home with you. Other folks like to go to meet up with friends for a LAN party. There are tons of reasons, but regardless he has a valid question.

I am not sure how to use both cards, or if it is possible, but you can force your NVIDIA software to use NVIDIA card over the integrated graphics. You can right click on the PD exe file and select "Run with graphics processor..." and then select the one you want. You can also go into the NVIDIA control panel, select 3d settings, and then select High Performance NVIDIA Processor under the preferred processor setting. You can also create a custom set of settings for power director under the programs tab.

In PD, make sure you go to preferences and check all the boxes under hardware acceleration. When you produce a video, only some types of codecs can use the hardware acceleration as well. If the selected CODEC can, you will see the box next to Fast Video Rendering Technology enabled.

I think there might be some misleading labels used for the hardware acceleration, but as long as it is enabled in the preferences and selected on the produce screen you should be good to go. Also, you need to make sure you have current video drivers loaded for the cards. There are some issues with the older NVIDIA cards running the old architecture. If you have one of the older cards described in written by Sonic, then you will need to do some tweaking to the drivers. Sonic is the subject matter expert on that and should be able to help you out, so check out his sticky thread.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Why people spend money on "gaming" laptops is beyond my understanding, especially with two video cards crammed inside an "ultra bay"...
Now you have to deal with forcing "Optimus Technology" to use the nVidia video card with PowerDirector and hope that it will work.

we just wants you go into a Turbo mode Sonic!
since you're getting neutered Maxwell 2 GTX960, I will hold up on the ASUS ROG G751 purchase.
I wasted 100 peanuts on GTX 750Ti (I don't know if Julien agrees...).
so I hope you'll fill the details on the GTX960???

grea146.
I don't think PD13 will work on yours, in order to HA to work, it's for the Hybrid systems with Intel cpus having
HD graphics card like HQ, QM series and nVidia card.

sorry about that.

Update: oh, your bad. optodata corrected your post. you do have 3630QM not 3630M cpu.
must use older drivers than 340.43 for HA to work.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/spec_en_US.html?&r=1

or try SoNic67 files he's posted.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42357.page#218324

WartHawg75
how about your 770? is it working now or still working on it?

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Jan 25. 2015 22:31

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Its A Lenovo y500, With Intel I7 - 3630m @ 2.4g, 16G Ram and 2x geforce gt 750m@2g eachan windows 8.1 (64)

PD13 will work fine on your system. As long as both the integrated HD4000 GPU and your 770M show up under Device Manager, PD will use both of them to preview and produce

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°