Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot modify video clip
Speaker [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 07, 2015 16:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello!

I'm having some frustrating trouble but it's probably du to my lack of knowlege with powerdirector... I'm new

So when i was working on a project, got tired, saved, and quit. Get up and open it back up... Surprise! I can't modify much at all anymore. I checked that i was on "clip" and not "movie" some portions of the video show the option "modify", "trim" etc, and others just dont have the option to modify anymore. It's driving me mad.

Gotta give in this project in about 36 hours so i'm starting to panic

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks!
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Speaker,

I think people in here will have to know more about your clips.
Format of the files? Bitrates?
What do you want to do in Modify window, and what - if anything - have you done?

I suspect also that some here will ask you for a Diaxdiag of your computer.
Go here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40225.page
and look for part B .

Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Speaker [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 07, 2015 16:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Well to be completely honest, the problem is certainly a lack of knowledge on how to properly use power director. The only change i made to the clip i can no longer modify was a fade out. I recorded my desktop using mirilis !action while speaking through my mic. Every other video file i use in the same project has the same format, pretty much the same bitrate. There is virtually no difference worth of note. Is there something i'm forgetting to do when i reopen a project i worked on previously to be able to fully manipulate it?

And by modify, i mean the option "modify" you get when you click on a track you are working on. It opens a window with further option to add effects, shadows, chroma key, fade ins and outs, etc
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Every other video file i use in the same project has the same format,

- but is .avi or .mp4 your choice of recording?
- and are you recording in 1920*1080 or smaller?

In the "features" of Mirillis Action one reads: Video framerate 15, 20, 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, 120(AVI) .

Are you recording long sequenses?
Are you using the same program when recording audio?
I see you have the choice of Wav and M4A. Have doubts about PD and M4A.

("M4A is a file extension for an audio file encoded with advanced audio coding (AAC) which is a lossy compression. M4A was generally intended as the successor to MP3, which had not been originally designed for audio only but was layer III in an MPEG 1 or 2 video files. M4A stands for MPEG 4 Audio.")

Hopefully one of our techwiz'es can help you .
I'm suspecting your files may be very large if you record longer bits in .avi and .wav
and that may be one side of the trouble.
Just something.
[Post New]
I am having the same issue with PD13. I have similar short clips from the same camera that I place onto the timeline. It appears that after I save the file and shut down the program, then reopen the program, some of the clips on the timeline can no longer be modified or edited in any way. The clips that this effects seems random. Some versions of the project that I have saved, closed then opened have different clips that can no longer be edited than others. This has made PD13 unusable for me. Please help.

Thanks!
Chazms [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 19, 2015 17:45 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the exact same problem. Like Matt, I feel this makes PD virtually useless. I contacted support, their only solution was to unlink the audio and video clips and then relink them. It didn't work. The editing tool buttons do return when I unlink the audio and video files, but then any changes made to that video clip make it a different length than the audio which throws off the entire timeline and the audio becomes useless. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I noticed in forums that this was an issue with PD 12, it baffles me that the next iteration of their software would contain the same problem.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
This sounds like it may be another issue of shadow files causing problems.

Go to EDIT - PREFERENCES - GENERAL - uncheck HD video processing and then try agian Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Chazms [Avatar]
[Post New]
Shadowman, thank you, but that didn't solve the problem either.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
This is not about shadow files, this is a bug that has plagued several builds and versions of PD.
If the video file has become unattached to it's audio track, then it becomes impossible to modify it.
This is random, and has been studied many times in an attempt to find a fix.
The 2 routes to go are to un-link the audio and video of the affected clips, or replace them with the original.
Of course, this all depends if, indeed, the clips are A/V un-linked, I am guessing from the descriptions of the issue you are having.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
I wonder if one that has this issue could:
- delete all clips (except the affected clip) in the project (don't save it)
- then "pack project material" into a folder (so it included the project and the video file)
- the zip up that packed project folder and attach it to this post.

Then others could "see" and try and fix that clip.

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
1Nina
[Post New]
Hi,

The OP of this thread (Speaker)has not (yet) come back. The OP didn't mention unlinked audio/video files, neither did Matt, I believe. That isn't to say that maybe the problem(s) indeed is the unlinking-issue. Maybe more info?

Nina
Just something.
Chazms [Avatar]
[Post New]
To clarify, my files are not unlinked. I still have the option to unlink them by right clicking on it. Unlinking the file and then linking it back again was cyberlink's support representative's solution which did not work. Perhaps the clip is behaving like it is "unlinked" and that is why alll editing tools disappeared, I don't know. All I know is that random clips throughout my project no longer have the option of using any editing tools unless I unlink my video from the audio. I would imagine this is true for the OP since my situation is the same. Previous to the customer sport response I had never messed with or attempted to link or unlink any if my video clips.
[Post New]
Like Barry said "something" causes the issue.
I would try File > Package Project Materials - and then open the packed project to see if it has the same issue. Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Where is Speaker? This is actually Speaker's topic, and I'd like to get back to that issue, which may or may not be the same as Matt and Chazms. That being said, if the clips in question appear to be visibly unlinked, but you never did that, and they cannot be modified, I stand by my analysis. If anyone cares to start a new thread of their own and provide a screenshot then Ill be happy to comment further. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi New Members,
Please start a new topic for your "similar issues" and reference a thread (by giving the link in your new post) if you think it is similar.
See forum guides.
This is a follow up to the point made by BarryTheCrab
Thread closed.
Dafydd