Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD program crashes computer.
tomtrog69 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: S. W. USA Joined: Jan 01, 2015 19:49 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Good evening. Yesterday I was pointed to Cyberlink for Blu-ray playback from my PC's player. I installed the program, but when I tried to use it, there was a constant "busy" circle on the upper left-hand side of the program's UI. I don't dare restart it because it crashed and caused the computer to quit operations.

I hope I'm appending the requisite files correctly, as I'm an avid gamer, and can install parts, but I'm still very ignorant about manipulating files.

Thanks for any help. If it cannot be divined from the DXDIAG or the Advisor file, I am running things on a 2560x1440 monitor, if that's relevant.

Filename
DEBUG_CLDetect_ESCAPEPOD3_2015_01_01_18_24_47.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
253 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
312 time(s)
[Post New]
at this stage i would just say the program looks faulty and to re-install it then patch it to the latest version if you haven't tried this already.
tomtrog69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick reply. How can I tell which version I have installed? I only did it yesterday, so I would think it's already patched?

I really don't want to have it crashing like that again if I can help it. CTD is one thing, but shutting off my system; that's scary.
[Post New]
click the top left corner of powerdvd, next to the arrow pointing upwards. updates are available on this site under support.

behaviour of powerdvd is very unusual.
tomtrog69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean I should load the program to find the version, because I don't want to do that until I know it won't crash like it did. I have too much invested in this machine to have it crapped up by some program.
[Post New]
if you want to know what version you "had", you need to install it or find another way of finding out. like I said, it is unusual for powerdvd to behave that bad. it could be a virus, messed up windows update, anything.

1) do you have an internet security package installed?

2) do you use windows updates? latest updates can be faulty i switch mine off until i need a feature or security update that i genuinely need

3) what os are you using?

4) are you using official drivers? bad drivers can cause issues even major system instability. this includes drivers used for things like virual drives and virtual sound cards.

and finally

5) is powerdvd from a trustworthy source like cyberlink? or not totally trustworthy like ebay?
tomtrog69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I posted the results of the PowerDVD Advisor, as well as the DXDIAG results.
Joseph [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2015 15:18 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, unfortunately I am having the same problem as you. Here is what I have tried. 2 diffrent blueray drives one asus and one pioneer. Full refomat of windows 7 x64 and replaced hard drive with ssd for boot drive and 1tb for storage. Reinstall power dvd 14 ultra after each format. Tried diffrent gpu's 780ti and 750ti all with current nvidia drivers. One thing to note is all the bluerays that freeze my computer play perfectly on my ps3. About half of my bluerays freeze my computer but all my dvds work just fine. I also checked the region of my blueray player and the bluerays. I hope to figure this out soon. Good luck.
tomtrog69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
My goodness. The DRM situation seems to have gotten completely out of hand for you to have trouble after going through all that.

My player plays everything just fine, and this is the first Blu-ray disc I've ever tried. I certainly hope I don't have to go through those contortions just to watch movies.

I did go and update the firmware on this player, and the Advisor showed everything as fine. I think I might have to go through the Support process, but I'll wait until next week due to the holidays.

Great good luck to you.
tomtrog69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: if you want to know what version you "had", you need to install it or find another way of finding out. like I said, it is unusual for powerdvd to behave that bad. it could be a virus, messed up windows update, anything.

1) do you have an internet security package installed?

2) do you use windows updates? latest updates can be faulty i switch mine off until i need a feature or security update that i genuinely need

3) what os are you using?

4) are you using official drivers? bad drivers can cause issues even major system instability. this includes drivers used for things like virual drives and virtual sound cards.

and finally

5) is powerdvd from a trustworthy source like cyberlink? or not totally trustworthy like ebay?

I installed from this site. My drivers are all up to date, as I'm an avid PC gamer and Steam doesn't play well with older drivers. Win7 HP, and yes, I too only update security patches and other relevant files from Microsoft.

My system, as far as I can tell, is all up to date.

I don't know about "virtual" drivers, but I do have my sound routed through a digital receiver. The only other thing not "normal" is a 2560x1440 IPS monitor.
[Post New]
i am all out of ideas. sorry,
tomtrog69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I appreciate you taking the time to help. If not for the shutting down, I'd just re-install and try again.

Hopefully, Support will have some idea of how to fix this.

Thank you, daaceking.
Elric667 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2013 08:24 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
What exactly happens.
I installed the program, but when I tried to use it, there was a constant "busy" circle on the upper left-hand side of the program's UI. I don't dare restart it because it crashed and caused the computer to quit operations

isn't very clear.

Is there no reaction to the keyboard/mouse?
Have you a BSoD?
Shut the Computer completely down?
tomtrog69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
You're right. Okay, I took the chance of re-trying it, and it might have been the Amazon Music Player that conflicted, as it loaded my albums from it and stopped this time.

Now, however, it says it doesn't play that type of DVD.

I retried it, and the mouse pointer goes busy, then the program just crashes, but only to desktop, possibly because it wasn't in Full-screen mode this time.

I've re-run the Advisor program and added the file here, but again it shows everything being up to date and "Okay".

Filename
DEBUG_CLDetect_ESCAPEPOD3_2015_01_04_12_26_32.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
247 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2015 14:33

tomtrog69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll add that it's a brand-new disc of Pacific Rim. The movie title shows in the main screen; it's when I click on either Play button that it freezes after about 10 secs and then crashes.

EDIT: I un/re-installed the program and it still crashes. I should add that it doesn't CTD, but just goes to 'not responding" after a couple of seconds. I have to close the program via Task Manager.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2015 14:46

Elric667 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Try to disable/reset UserDPI Settings.
Install latest Drivers for your Soundcards (Realtek Driver is from 2011).
Try not to overclock your CPU.
tomtrog69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can do those other things, but if I have to choose between my OCed CPU and watching movies, well, I'm an avid gamer. I'm not downclocking the CPU.
Elric667 [Avatar]
[Post New]
If the first 2 not work, try not to oc.
If PDVD then works, you can stop searching and choose.
Joseph [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2015 15:18 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Just an update from me. I rolled back to an older driver for my 750ti and my problems are solved. Now I can play all my blu-ray discs. Hope that helps.