Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
remove flicker from screen
tonytony2014 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 17, 2014 13:19 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello

Is it possible to remove flicker from screens which have slow refresh rates with powerdirector 12?. I film smartphones and the amoled displays seem to flicker alot.

Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello

Is it possible to remove flicker from screens which have slow refresh rates with powerdirector 12?. I film smartphones and the amoled displays seem to flicker alot.

Thanks

How are you transferring the Smartphone video to the computer?

Smartphones have a transfer directly from the phone to the computer (at least my Windows Phone does).

If you are just recording the screen of the smartphone with another camera, that is a bad idea.

Attached MediaInfo of a test video from my cell phone (Nokia Lumia 520).

This video was transfer directly from the phone to the computer, works just like a Flash Drive.

Filename
WP_20140928_002.mp4.txt
[Disk]
 Description
MediaInfo test video (30 fps)
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
276 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tonytony2014 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Hello

Thanks

How are you transferring the Smartphone video to the computer?

Smartphones have a transfer directly from the phone to the computer (at least my Windows Phone does).

If you are just recording the screen of the smartphone with another camera, that is a bad idea.

Attached MediaInfo of a test video from my cell phone (Nokia Lumia 520).

This video was transfer directly from the phone to the computer, works just like a Flash Drive.

I review products, and have to film the smartphone screens as part of the review. Due to the different refresh rates on amoled or oled displays, it causes an ugly flicker to appear, I was wondering if cyberlink had any editing features in post which could mask it?

My videos look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKpE_v2Lgjg

notice the ugly flicker on the video? thats what I want to remove.

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I review products, and have to film the smartphone screens as part of the review. Due to the different refresh rates on amoled or oled displays, it causes an ugly flicker to appear, I was wondering if cyberlink had any editing features in post which could mask it?

Consider you are photographing a refreshing screen, your flicker is not very bad.

I have seen much worst.

I do not think there is much you can do.
The fact you are holding and moving the phone while recording the video, makes the flicker appear worse.

What frame rate is the recording camera using?

Some video cameras are 25 fps, some are 24 fps and some are 29.97 (30) fps.
That gives three possibilities for matching the refresh rate of the Phone.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Kevinv64 [Avatar]
Member Location: Upper Midwest Joined: Jun 28, 2012 05:41 Messages: 106 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with Carl. I kept waiting for a real bad flicker and it never came.

Even if you could find an effect or other tweak that would minimize or eliminate it, you would want to apply it to the screen only, and that would be a keyframing challenge, to say the least.

I wouldn't worry about it. It looks fine.

Kevin
tonytony2014 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I review products, and have to film the smartphone screens as part of the review. Due to the different refresh rates on amoled or oled displays, it causes an ugly flicker to appear, I was wondering if cyberlink had any editing features in post which could mask it?

Consider you are photographing a refreshing screen, your flicker is not very bad.

I have seen much worst.

I do not think there is much you can do.
The fact you are holding and moving the phone while recording the video, makes the flicker appear worse.

What frame rate is the recording camera using?

Some video cameras are 25 fps, some are 24 fps and some are 29.97 (30) fps.
That gives three possibilities for matching the refresh rate of the Phone.

Mines is recording at 50p for the highest quality. The lower quality is 29.97 fps. There is also a cinema mode which does 24fps. I have tried all three modes and even a anti flicker setting and still get it.

By the way, thats not me in the video, thats someone else who does a simular thing. Only I used a tripod so its rock steady.

tonytony2014 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I agree with Carl. I kept waiting for a real bad flicker and it never came.

Even if you could find an effect or other tweak that would minimize or eliminate it, you would want to apply it to the screen only, and that would be a keyframing challenge, to say the least.

I wouldn't worry about it. It looks fine.

Kevin

Thanks for your reassuring words. I guess I noticed it more due to my perfectionist manner. It is a very niche area of videography.

While writing this reply I think I have found the answer to this problem. My camcorder is a canon, which is pal. I think if I use a Vixia by Canon (exactly the same as mine except it is NTSC) then maybe I will enjoy perfect flicker free footage on amoled displays like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixc8QNH_LEs

I will give it a try, thanks for your help.