Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating 3D movie using 2 cameras
Ovation99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 07, 2009 07:51 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Just got PD13 Ultra and still on a learning curve.
Just thought I would give making a 3D movie a go, but am stuck on how to do it.
I don't want to go down the Red/Cyan route as I have 2 identical camcorders and intend using passive polarizing 3D glasses.
So I am assuming, maybe incorrectly, that I need a split screen scenario. Is this correct?
If so, should it be vertical or horizontal?

Any help on this subject, however small, would be most appreciated by a "dummy" MB: Asus M5A99X Evo
CPU: AMD FX8150 Eight Core
Ram: 16GB Corsair 1666mhz
HDD: Various. All SATA 7200 RPM
Enermax Water Cooling
Asus Geforce GTX 650
Window 8.1 (64 Bit)
Power Director 13 Ultra
Ovation99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
As it seems nobody is able to help with my original post, I have another question.
Is it possible to overlay 2 video clips on the same track?

Thanks MB: Asus M5A99X Evo
Enermax Water Cooling
Asus Geforce GTX 650
Window 8.1 (64 Bit)
Power Director 13 Ultra
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ovation99,
Please search the previous forums. There are threads for 3D. In my view it is easier with a single video and use PDr13 to create the offset. The hassle involved with2 cameras/footage is not worth it in my view, better to just use PowerTools/2D to 3D and then Produce, in your case, Anaglyph.

Yes, I have tried the 2 camera 3D route, I experimented a lot, as you will need to if you proceed with your desire to go the 2 camera route.

I had problems with the 3D output not being recognized as 3D (side by side).

Dafydd
Ovation99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd,
I think you're right and I bow to your experience.

Many thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2014 15:27

MB: Asus M5A99X Evo
Enermax Water Cooling
Asus Geforce GTX 650
Window 8.1 (64 Bit)
Power Director 13 Ultra
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ovation99,
Please experiment, it was fun for me rigging up a dual camera set up. I actually decided to stitch video together to create a wide screen more like what we actually see, close to 180 degrees. Of course we can buy cameras with wide angle distorting lens to do the same thing, but I just had fun stitching video together rather than create a 3D video in the end. I even used 3 cameras to create a really wide angle. It is fun to play and experiment.
Dafydd
FernandoTrindade [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2015 12:42 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Dafydd B and Ovation.
And all of you who are reading this.

I work a lot with 3D and I'm used to render those 3D from stereo videos in other software products.

I'm used to have a right source and a left source and combine them onto a 3D movie.

I think this is what Ovation is talking here. I have seen in other posts from other users (and yes, an old post by Moto....) and I really feel lost.

I have PD13 and ColorD4 and frankly... I don't seem to find out how can I use left+right sources to render a True3D movie.

Am I missing something?

Lets take Magix Video Pro X6 for instance:
You take both footages, place them in the timeline (the same timeline one after the other, lets say left then right), choose "left/right,left side first" hit export and done....

That will be seen as a 3d source, playable at 3D players in all formats available: anaglyph, 3d Stereo, Side by side, interleaved, polarized, etc...

I have read your answer, Daffydd B, about having the software render the 3D effect from a 2D source and believe me that is no way close to the effect you got from a two camera set-up.
Speccially if the footage is stopped.... I mean.. if there is no movement in the images... it's easy to loose the 3D depth.
Those moments of contemplation when looking over the edge of a cliff before jumping from it... you get the 3D easily from a sideto side movement, not so much from a back-front movement but almost none from a steady camera contemplation scene.

The 3D ou get from a 3D set-up with two cameras don't let you down on those cases.

For me, shooting 4k underwater in Real3D with two cameras is really important to have the 3D correctly done.
Even if reduced to 1080p footages, I expect them to be the highest quality possible.

I know PD9 and PD 10 had difficulties here but is PD13 also not letting Real3D beeing produced from let/right sources?
Or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.

Fernando
Ovation99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Fernando, I thought this thread had died.

I am sure this can be done, but probably not in PD13 MB: Asus M5A99X Evo
Enermax Water Cooling
Asus Geforce GTX 650
Window 8.1 (64 Bit)
Power Director 13 Ultra
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are several 3d outputs available in PD13. Just click on the 3D tab on the Produce page and choose from one of the 4 file formats then choose which 3D method and what video profile you want to create:

There is more info if you just click on the "?" at the top right of PD then search for "outputting in 3D"

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
FernandoTrindade [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2015 12:42 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Ovation and optodata.

Ovation: the thread might be death...but it didn't give the answer yet so... I answered here because all the other posts I found about this subject were a long list of opinions that did not contribute for a solution.

Just like the one optodata gave right now...

Optodata:

I am not talking about the output to 3D... But the input.

As I am writing this I have a 30 minutes footage from two camera rendering on Magix Video Edit Pro X6, which is one of the video editors that accept two sources (left eye plus right eye) ans merges them into a 3d movie, capable of being played on bluray, youtube... Lg P920 smartphone and so many others.

The same movie will allpw the choice f the 3D render we want to apply when playing it:

Side by side, up/down, anaglyph, 2D...

This, optodata, is the output and I am sure PD13 does also a good job here.

But how do you use the footage from camera1 for the left eye (i.e. the left part of the stereo pair) and the footage from camera2 as the sight from the right eye (i.e. the right art of the stereo pair)?

Is it possible?

Because I am navigating trough all the menus and there is nothing here that lets me do that.

Take Magix Video Edit pro X6 for example.

You grab the left eye video and place it on the timeline.

Then you grab the right eye video and place it on the same timeline right after the left eye one.

Then on menu effects, choose 3d and pick left-right pair - left eye first. (you have the chice of full or half width as well)

And "presto!!!"...

The right footage passes to the timeline below the left one and they become a "pair" that you can then sinchronize by udio or images and do a series of other alignments for the correct tuning of the paralax.

This is, technically, not difficult to do from a programming level. I hve 25 years of C and other languages programming so I know exactly what I am talking about. Specially in a time that there are so many plugins available to all programming languages.

This is just a matter of being something worth to have for Cyberlink which looks to me, up to now, it isn't.

I love PD13 and CDirector4 but it is really boring to have to have another editor just to make the first 3D fim and THEN inmport it as a 3D ro powerdirector and work with it.

It took me 6 to 8 hours on a 6Gb/s 350GB SSD on my i7 with 16GB Ram to render 30 minutes of 2K footage...

Just to be able to START working...

So...

Do you know any way to import left and right footages to PD13 or 14 and then outut them merged as Real3D?

Thanks.

Fernando
Ovation99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Fernando for re-stating my original post MB: Asus M5A99X Evo
Enermax Water Cooling
Asus Geforce GTX 650
Window 8.1 (64 Bit)
Power Director 13 Ultra
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...It took me 6 to 8 hours on a 6Gb/s 350GB SSD on my i7 with 16GB Ram to render 30 minutes of 2K footage...

Just to be able to START working...

Do you know any way to import left and right footages to PD13 or 14 and then outut them merged as Real3D?
Sorry for not understanding the question the first time. I've never worked in 3D and didn't realize the PD required 3D source clips to get true 3D output, and that there wasn't a simple way to combine two separate 2D clips into a 3D stream.

Here's a *post* that describes how to manually do it, and in your case you'd want to produce to an M2TS or MP4 format that PD would recognize as 3D when it was imported again, then you could add titles and do normal editing to produce your full video.

I don't know how much time this would take to do manually vs. letting the Magix editor combine them for you. Having SATA3 and SSDs are not relevant for producing video. A 5400rpm HDD has more than enough transfer speed because the bottleneck is the CPU, and even with an i7 you're still only looking at a few MB/s. If you have access to a hex-core i7-5960 or a workstation with twin Xeons then you'll see the conversion really fly *by*

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
As already mentioned, you have to do it manually. Once you get it close you can export the video as a 2d movie. Import that and adjust the 3d settings. I usually import my video as 3d already adjusted, so I don't know exactly how much control PD gives you over things like convergence, etc. I will look into that when I get home. I am actually just starting another 3d video for YouTube. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM