Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blu-Ray Video blurred motion
dpriest [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2008 13:51 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
I am wanting to burn a disc of an HD video that I have. It is actually a NY Yankees baseball game that I recorded from my DVR box to my computer. It is a 1920 x 1080 interlaced .m2ts file that plays fine on my computer. I burned it to a 50gb Blu-Ray verbatim disc and I noticed that the fast action parts of the video are not smooth. For the encoding format, I chose 1920 x 1080/60i. I am wondering if I need to encode it to 1920 x 1080/24p instead or if there is something else I need to do. These discs are not cheap to say the least and I want to make sure I have it right. Thanks for your help in advance.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
What does mediainfo say about the source file? Did you check to see if you can use svrt? Did you use hardware acceleration in creating the BD. these are questions you need to answer yourself. I do these recordings all the time. I would use a BD-RE for experimenting to get the best recordings on your system. Try a small fast motion clip first in your situation.

There is no one size fits all answer. I could tell people what I do and then someone else has a different answer and say it make no difference. That is because everyones computer is different, like different video card, etc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2014 11:15

dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is my the mediainfo information. I am afraid I am not that savvy and advanced with this so I don't know what you mean by svrt. I did not use hardware acceleration intentionally. My system is Win7 home premium 64bit. Intel i7-4770 3.5 Ghz, 16GB RAM.

General
ID : 1 (0x1)
Complete name : D:\Jeter\Finalized Files\Jeter Final Game Yankee Stadium.ts
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 24.4 GiB
Duration : 3h 4mn
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 18.9 Mbps

Video
ID : 1984 (0x7C0)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@High
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Format settings, GOP : M=2, N=14
Format settings, picture structure : Frame
Codec ID : 2
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 17.6 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 20.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : Component
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Bottom Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.284
Time code of first frame : 00:00:00;00
Time code source : Group of pictures header
Stream size : 22.7 GiB (93%)
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 1985 (0x7C1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 6
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Delay relative to video : 20ms
Stream size : 506 MiB (2%)
Language : English

Text #1
ID : 1984 (0x7C0)-CC1
Format : EIA-608
Muxing mode : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1
Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #2
ID : 1984 (0x7C0)-CC3

Text #3
ID : 1984 (0x7C0)-1
Format : EIA-708

Text #4
ID : 1984 (0x7C0)-2
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the mediainfo on your set top box. It is what we need to know.

I do tv recordings on a computer using wmc with a tv tuner and the saved files are in the dvr-ms format in which PD converts the container to mpg formats which allows importing to the timeline. See attached som.text. I edit this 3hr recording to remove all the commercials. This reduce the recording to about 2.5 hrs. Notice that the original 3h recording is 15.5 gb. Even if I don't edit out the comercials and keep all 3hrs, it all fits nicely on a 25gb BD. I use SVRT which is Cyberlink version of smart rendering which means no video will be re-encoded, only the audio and retain the 5.1 or 6 channel audio for home theatre sound. I can create (encode)this 3hr long BD in less than 1 hour on my pc.

I am analyzing the mediainfo in your above post and trying to come to a solution for you to try. Wait for my next post here.
 Filename
som.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Major Network TV 3 hour recording
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
248 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow, your 3 hour video is 24.4 GB from your cable set top box. It may not fit a 25 GB BD if you don't have commercials to edit out. The frame rate =29.97 fps ntsc. The mpeg-2 bit rate may be slightly too high for svrt of 17.6 Mbps. Try this:

1. Open the project in PD12 and hit Alt+S to bring up the svrt info to see if it is available. Green means video rendering is not required.
2. Go to Create Disc/2D Disc. Choose Blu-Ray 50GB, MPEG-2, HD 1980x1080/60i, Dolby Digital, 5.1 Channels. We want settings as close as possible to the original.
3. Hit Burn in 2D, Final Output, Check only Create a Folder, Choose a different Folder directory file name as to not to overwrite the old one. Leave both Burn to disc and Enable hardware video encoder unchecked.
4. If it took less than 1 hr. to create the BD structure of the 3 hr video, then svrt worked.
5. Using win explorer, goto the file location of that created folder. Navigate to BDMV\STREAM\ and double click on that 24GB video. See that the fast motion is the same as in the original video. If the fast motion are clear and you are satisfied, then you can burn it to BD. A 25GB Blank BD might still work if you use imgburn to burn it.

If the fast motion is not the same as in the original recorded video, then something else needs to be done. Post back to let us know if this fixes your problem or not.

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
dpriest:

To avoid making very expensive Blu-ray coasters, and even high quality DVD coasters, I use a product called "Phantom Drive." I found out about it on this Forum. With that product, you can experiment with different settings, without wasting disks. The link is:

http://www.phantomdrive.de/en/

It has saved me a few dollars. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Ian26 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Joined: May 17, 2014 08:08 Messages: 188 Offline
[Post New]
garioch7 wrote
I use a product called "Phantom Drive." I found out about it on this Forum.

Does it work on Win 8.1 as it is not mentioned on Buy screen. Only goes to Win7.

Thanks IanB
PowerDirector Ultimate 18.0.3801.0 (64bit)
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 processor (6M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
Nividia GeForce 720 Version 372.54 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GB x 2)
2 x 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard D
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think I have the answer to the mice teeth lines in the rendered video from PD. When I play my .ts file, the motion of objects and people are fine. I am using svrt to render an mpeg-2 file. There is something about the way PD is handling the file that is causing it to have pronounced mice teeth and blurred movement of objects etc. I have been chatting with the folks on Videohelp and after lots of troubleshooting, I think it boils down to field order. This is an interlaced video, and it is Bottom Field First. Many people have suggested changing the field order to TFF instead of BFF. I have been looking for a way to change field order in PD12 but I can't see how to do that. Is there a way to change field order?
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have an update on this theory of mine. I loaded this video sample into an older version of Corel Videostudio. Videostudio allows me to change the field order so I rendered a video using Top Field First and the video looked much better. I really like PD better than videostudio, but I wish there was a way to change field order.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Your theory is correct if PD12 incorrectly set the field to TFF. Here is how to check or change it. With the project on your timeline, highlight the clip and right mouse click on it. On the popup, click Set Clip Attributes/Set Tv Format. A popup will tell you what your clip is set at. It should be at BFF since the mediainfo you supplied said your .ts file is BFF.

In the past, I know of only DV-AVI being BFF, your set top box creating BFF mpeg files is a new one for me. In any case, PD should have correctly determined the correct field order if svrt is used(means no re rendering) and working.

Let us know what the field order was determined by PD12 and then change it to the opposite and create a small section and let us know if this helped.
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I actually found it the other way around. I set the field order to upper field first and that improved the quality. With PD, I did what you said and set the field order to Top Field First and BFF. There was no difference in quality. I opened the rendered file with MediaInfo and it indicated Bottom Field First even though I changed it to TFF in PD. PD doesn't seem to be able to effectively change the field order when I go into Produce and render a video.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good troubleshooting dpriest. That means the video flag in your set top box incorrectly reported it as BFF even though the video created is actually TFF and that is why PD12 is creating it as BFF.

Try this: With the clip field changed to TFF, produce a small range (say 1 minute) with that fast motion without svrt or hardware acceleration. Report back to us.
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did what you said and it did keep it TFF. The video is still blurred, however. Another thing is that the mpg file produced can only be opened by vlc. Windows media player cannot open this file. I would like to try to play this file with another program, but nonetheless, I am still seeing mice teeth.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, I looked at the Produce MPEG-2, 1980x1080/60i (25 Mbps) profile and then hit + to create a new profile. My only choice for video is Progressive and Top field first. I want to do the opposite to flip those two fields. Unable to do so, I went to the internet and confirmed that all HD video is Top Field first. See this link: http://provideocoalition.com/cmg_keyframes/story/field_order/ .It is what you already know so I don't know why your set top box produce a flag for BFF when the video is actually recorded as TFF.

From what you already told us then maybe go ahead and create that video with Corel Videostudio and import that video to PD12 or just create that BD with Corel Videostudio. Maybe someone in this forum has a different idea or solution that works. :
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
tomasc, I have a little update for you. The file I created in Videostudio was an .m2t (AVCHD) file. I created a menu and burned it to a 25GB Blu-Ray and tried it on my player. The video quality was excellent. I did the same thing in PD12. The disc burned by PD had mice teeth and lines , but the motion was jagged. The best way to describe this is that it lacked a certain video acceleration while playing in my Blu-Ray player. I am really wanting to use PD over VS because the editing features and disc menu selection are better, but I need to have good video quality. Thoughts?
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
A little clarification on my last message. Both of the discs burned by VS and PD had no mice teeth or lines. The only difference is that the disc burned by VS had great video quality while the disc burned by PD had hesitations or not fluid movement of the players.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is good news. You have a 3hr. 25gb BD re-encoded from mpeg-2 to avchd video created by VS that play properly on your BD player wheras you require a 50gb BD for the mpeg-2 encoded on from PD12. That would point to the bitrate being set too high for your particular BD player. I did read your post on the videohelp forum. Here is the link: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/368756-Blurred-Blu-Ray-video .I confirmed that your original file was m2ts, not the ts which were modified by videoredo and ts-doctor in which you posted the mediainfo here. Somewhere between the cable set top box to the modifications with the other two software the flag got switched improperly to BFF.

Looks like you could import that VS created file to PD12 to create the menus or just do the project in PD12 and create a folder with h.264 encoding. Set video settings to be the same as in VS. The bitrate would then be much lower and should be okay. Be sure not to use HA in creating it or you'll see the non fluid movements again.

Let us know which BD player you use that did not play the PD12 created one properly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 04. 2014 15:40

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Note the original Yankees Baseball are carried on ESPN as h.264 encoding 720p60 encoding. See this link: http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/ESPN-Video-Upgrade-Moves-to-H.264-Encoding%3B-Shuns-HTTP-for-RTMP-77302.aspx . This would mean you re-coded the original many times on your pc and you tell us the final BD is still excellent.
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I need to clarify a couple of things that are incorrect. This video that I have been experimenting with and burning to 25gb discs is not the 3 hour ts file. I cut the file into a 1.5 minute section which is 192mb. I also tried all combinations under the sun, burned them to 5 different 25gb Blu-Ray discs and popped them in the player for comparison. I took the 1.5 minute .ts section to do this.

Examples: Rendering the video with PD

1.) Rendered TFF mpeg-2 and burned mpeg-2
2.) Rendered BFF mpeg-2 and burned mpeg-2
3.) Rendered .m2ts(AVC) and burned using mpeg-2
4.) Rendered .m2ts(AVC) and burned using H.264

All of the above combinations played on my TV with mice teeth and lines = NO GOOD
As aforementioned, I took the .m2t file rendered by VS and burned with PD with same problems. The only disc that plays with great quality is the disc where the file was rendered and burned with VS. I am including the MediaInfo stats on the .m2t file rendered by VS and PD.

MediaInfo For VS File

General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : D:\Jeter\Jeter Videostudio.m2t
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 171 MiB
Duration : 1mn 25s
Overall bit rate : 16.8 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 20.3 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=16
Codec ID : 27
Bit rate : 15.8 Mbps
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.255
Stream size : 160 MiB (94%)

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Codec ID : 129
Stream size : 3.91 MiB (2%)

MediaInfo For PD File

General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : C:\Users\David\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\12.0\Produce AVCHD.m2ts
File size : 235 MiB
Overall bit rate : 23.1 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 23.9 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=13
Codec ID : 27
Bit rate : 21.5 Mbps
Scan type : MBAFF
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.345
Stream size : 218 MiB (93%)

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Delay relative to video : 38ms
Stream size : 4.55 MiB (2%)

Not sure what else to do here. I am still willing to give PD a chance, but needless to say, this is very frustrating

dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
One other thing. This video was recorded from the YES network which is the Yankee network so I believe it is 1920x1080 Here is the mediainfo for the original .m2ts file recorded:

General
Complete name : D:\Jeter\Jeter Final Game Yankee Stadium.m2ts
File size : 33.5 GiB
Duration : 4h 51mn
Overall bit rate : 16.4 Mbps

Video #1
Format settings, GOP : Variable
Format settings, picture structure : Frame
Maximum bit rate : 20.0 Mbps
Standard : Component
Scan order : Bottom Field First
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Video #2
ID : 2304 (0x900)
Format profile : Main@Main
Maximum bit rate : 7 000 Kbps
Width : 528 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3

Audio #1
ID : 1985 (0x7C1)
Delay relative to video : -299ms
Stream size : 802 MiB (2%)

Audio #2
ID : 2305 (0x901)
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Delay relative to video : -17h 9mn
Stream size : 401 MiB (1%)

Text #1
ID : 1984 (0x7C0)-CC1

Text #2
ID : 1984 (0x7C0)-1

Text #3
ID : 1984 (0x7C0)-2

Text #4
ID : 2304 (0x900)-CC1
Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #2

Text #5
ID : 2304 (0x900)-CC1
Muxing mode : SCTE 20
Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #2

Here is the MediaInfo stats for the .ts file I am experimenting with:

General
Complete name : D:\Jeter\Finalized Files\Jeter Final Game Yankee Stadium (02).ts
File size : 193 MiB
Overall bit rate : 18.9 Mbps

Video