Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Round Trip Editing - PD13 & Photodirector
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone experienced any issues with 'round trip editing' (between PD13 & Photodirector) having tried it on a project today it was so painfully slow that not worth doing!

Went to make a basic adjustment to a photo which was on the timeline; imported into Photodirector; made one minor adjustment (straightened photo) then went to return to PD13; got to 100% import then appeared to hang; (progress box went grey) Left it for a few minutes and then saved the project which appeared to clear the greyed out box, then carried on.

My understanding was that re-importing should be almost instant; equivalent to bringing in a photo into the media library?

Currently using PD13 v 2319 Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
[Post New]
Quote: Has anyone experienced any issues with 'round trip editing' (between PD13 & Photodirector) having tried it on a project today it was so painfully slow that not worth doing!

Went to make a basic adjustment to a photo which was on the timeline; imported into Photodirector; made one minor adjustment (straightened photo) then went to return to PD13; got to 100% import then appeared to hang; (progress box went grey) Left it for a few minutes and then saved the project which appeared to clear the greyed out box, then carried on.

My understanding was that re-importing should be almost instant; equivalent to bringing in a photo into the media library?

Currently using PD13 v 2319

I use PhotoDirector 3 to cut or improve photo, without closing PD13, add edited photos in PD13 have no problems.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 30. 2014 16:28

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ed71 -

It's only rarely that I use PhD in that way. My regular workflow is to do any necessary processing of photos in PhD before importing into a PDR project.

I have noticed (when round tripping) that the first time you send a photo in a session it's way slower than subsequent "sends".

Just did a quick round trip test (split times):
Open PhD 6 through PDR 13 - 6.44 seconds
Adjustment - 11.97 seconds
Back to PDR 13 - 15.66 seconds (that's total time for the round trip)

That was the second photo I sent. The first one took 17 seconds just to open PhD.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
OK, thanks, will experiment with repeat send / receives.

Like you; had done most of the photo editing separately but then realised image I wanted to use was a bit 'wonky' so thought would try the 'round trip' method.

Thanks for input Director Suite 365
24GB Memory
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Ed -

Attached is a real time screen capture un-doctored in any way.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
PDR-PhD.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
509 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
360 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Ed71 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony

Possibly may be the amount of media in the project am working on; approx 1000 stills / video images

Tried is with small projects / standard PD samples and got the speed you achieved; works really well

Tried again in project had issues with; had exactly the same issue again (see attached)

Though was doing something (the altered image was back in PD) had to close project to get away from the 'greyed out' 100% progress bar
[Thumb - Test.jpg]
 Filename
Test.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
438 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
85 time(s)
Director Suite 365
24GB Memory