Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
My Very First PowerDirector Project was a huge success!!!
Kevin M. [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oceanside, Long Island, NY Joined: Oct 03, 2014 11:06 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Everyone:

This is an open letter to the entire CyberLink Community. Thanks to the assistance that many of you provided to me, my very first PowerDirector project was a huge success!!!

Frankly, 4 weeks ago, I had never heard of CyberLink or PowerDirector (and it's related programs). But when my wife decided to have her 50th birthday party, I decided at that very moment that I would create a surprise video montage for her. After conceptualizing it, and downloading PD, I began what would turn out to be a 70-hour adventure of fast-paced learning and great enjoyment (and some sleepless nights too!). After listening to 35 songs, I selected the two winners and dropped them onto the audio track. Then, when I realized that I would be including over 350 photos and title slides, I asked two video production companies what they would charge to create the montage. It would have cost me over $3,500...and that would not have included all of the special effects that the show eventually contained! So I continued on my own...not only to save the money, but because I wanted to do it myself.

I hired a professional staging company that provided two 60" high-definition monitors, an A/V mixer, two powered speakers on stands, and an A/V technician to wire it up and man the controls. I worked on it day and night (often till 4:00 AM, while she was sleep) until it was finally finished (just one day before her party)! And I kept it a total surprise...until she entered the party room!

Well, this past Friday night, during the party, I made a brief speech and a toast to my wife...the lights went out on my cue, and a second later the video montage rolled across all three monitors (the restaurant already had one of them mounted on the wall)!!! There were cheers of joy and whistles throughout the 14-minute montage, and there was a lot of love and energy in the room! I knew from the beginning of this project, that I did not want to create the kind of montage that I have seen at so many other parties, were one image just fades slowly into the next, and so on. Instead, I selected two very powerful, fast-paced songs and then used rapid timing sequences in perfect timing with the beat of the music.

When the last image was displayed, everyone clapped and shouting positive words...and it was a that very moment...that I felt soooooo proud of all my hard work. The end result was certainly worth all of the time and effort that went into it!!! The night was one to remember, and my wife was overjoyed at the surprise video montage that I created for her.

Thank you all for coming to my rescue when I was panicked and sought your assistance. You helped me to solve various technical matters, which kept me on track.

If I can ever help any of you...please just ask! :

Regards,
Kevin

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Excellent! Contribute to the forum when you have good info.^
jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
I'm so happy it worked so well for you.

I've been working on my Grand Daughters Graduation video and like you, I don't want the boring crap I see everywhere else. I also complete a Veterans Day Tribute DVD which was a big success.

$3,500??? Wow, we could all be making Big bucks!!!

Again, Happy Birthday to your wife. CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
Kevin M. [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oceanside, Long Island, NY Joined: Oct 03, 2014 11:06 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
Hi borgus1 and jcardana,
Thanks for your nice words.

Yes! One of the video companies wanted $8.00 per image in the montage, and the other wanted $10.00 per image. And that would just be for a boring montage, with music that puts everyone to sleep. I've been to many parties where the moment the montage comes on, people walk out of the room, or head for the bar for some "shots". During my montage, not one of the 75 guests left their seats! Not bad for my video editing debut! :

Who knows...maybe in time I'll do this as a new job? More likely, as a fun hobby. LOL
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
BRAVO Kevin!

Wow - only weeks ago you hadn't even heard of PD - now you've used it to make people happy (& decrease their alcohol consumption).

Great work! Congratulations

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Kevin M. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony. Yup! From the day that I downloaded PD13 (Director Suite), I was constantly reviewing every online tutorial that I could (of which there are MANY!), plus participating in this forum. Together both were so helpful! And...it was a fun experience.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Be careful, Kevin, when the editing bug bites, it bites hard! I'll wager many a long hour has been spent ignoring checking accounts, forgetting to feed the animals, putting off cooking, delaying mowing the lawn, letting your wife out of the car trunk, all in favor of the time that's required to create the perfect audio video sequence. It's true. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Kevin M. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Barry. Now did you know??? That's exactly what happened (minus the "wife in the car trunk"...LOL). I am taking some well-deserved time to recuperate. But it's all good!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Video editing is a hobby and it becomes easier each time for someone who has a good interest in it. Congratulations Kevin M.!!!
Kevin M. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks so much! I have definitely been "bitten". OUCH!
Karel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 07, 2014 12:12 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I just recorded a National Geogrpahic film, which is provided with a "copy once" flag of my TV-provider (Duch KNP). So you cannot copy further, dat the first machine (DVD-recorder). Copy to a rewriteble DVD is impossible. Hower de recording that I made with PowerDirector of these 44 minutes was more than 2.345.998 bytes. The musical "The Wiz" more than 12.000.000. So there is something wrong with thsi program or I do something wrong. Whi KNOWS wht to do????? To record on reasonbly few bytes??????
jaymay22
Member Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia. Joined: Aug 27, 2009 07:18 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
Suggestion for anyone who cares - I would love to have an 'agree' button, or a 'like' (almost hate to say it) button.
This is a lovely post, great work Kevin. It would seem you made your wife's night very special, and you have simultaneously joined the ranks of the bleary eyed editors.

Cyberlink is both stimulating and frustrating, but can produce the most amazing memories, and lets face it, that's what we're all after.
oh...and Barry? I think I forgot to feed my teenagers....I'd better get going......ha ha ....
Good job Kevin. Jenny
inspectagame
Member Location: Australia Joined: Oct 28, 2014 03:20 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Well Kevin, you summed up why we spend countless hours creating that perfect collection of memories, whether it be snaps, precious video footage, that song that makes us go.....you have summed up how this awesome technology can allow us to pay dividends for the things and people that matter most, your story is the epitome of why we do what we do....thank you for sharing a snippet of your life Kevin, I felt like I was right there with you and the fellow community here rallying for your cause, thank you Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/inspectagame
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/inspectagame
Twitter: https://twitter.com/inspectagame
Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Inspectagame/
Steam Group:
Kevin M. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much jaymay22 and inspectagame,
I appreciate your warm and caring posts to this forum/topic. Yes...I have definitely gotten hooked and I look forward to creating many more "masterpieces" :

All the best to both of you!
Kevin
[Post New]
Kevin:
BRAVO! What a lovely tale and what a wonderful thing to do for your wife. And to do all that and time synch the photos to music is quite an achievement from a standing start. Well done mate! Scott Hendry
www.scotthendry.com
YouTube username TheCscottHendry
Kevin M. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Scott:
Thanks for your kind words. I greatly appreciate that!

All the best to you mate!
Kevin
Kevin M. [Avatar]
[Post New]
If anyone would like to view the surprise video montage that I recently created for my wife's 50th birthday party (Note: the first such project that I ever created), please feel free to e-mail me at kfogel@optonline.net, and I will be glad to provide you with a link to my DropBox account where you can view it.

If so, please bear in mind that the video was formatted for a wide-screen monitor (16:9), and it looks MUCH BETTER when viewed directly from its USB drive.

All the best, and Happy Holidays to all!

Regards,
Kevin
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Congratulations Kevin!! It is good to see a member that has had now experience with PD post to the forum a SUCCESS story rather that a bug or glitch request!!!
Kudu's to You and your Wife!!
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Kevin M. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jim,

To tell you the truth...leading up to my "successful" showing of my wife's montage at her party, I posted plenty of Shouts For Help and Panicked Requests for Guidance! LOL But, in the end, it all worked out fine!