Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HAS ANYONE USED TE H265 CODEC
Tomas G77
Member Location: Ayrshire Joined: Jun 13, 2008 08:54 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
Just want to know if anyone has done any 4k video yet using the H-265-Codec, and if PD13 will handle it from what i have read one need a very powerful computer, and I mean top of the range with a 900 series graphic card

can anyone enlighten me on this subject,

I have had to put my new Samsung NX1 Camera on the back burner until they get this codec sorted,
here is part of the review i read

( The extra required horsepower is a big issue because while every modern graphics card supports H.264 natively, hardware HEVC support isn't widespread. This requires software-based encoding and decoding, which is far slower. For example, even brand-new Maxwell 2 GeForce 900-series cards from Nvidia will only offer a mix of hardware and software support for HEVC. Worse still, in practice we couldn't edit the footage in either Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premier Pro. Forget editing—even playing back the footage on a PC was a pain in the neck.

The only ways we could view what we shot were directly from the camera (which was plagued by artifacting and choppiness) or using Divx 10—VLC, Quicktime, and other common players couldn't play the footage smoothly at all. And even with Divx the only computer we found that could run it was the Razer Blade Pro, a $2,500 high-end gaming laptop. Even our i7-based Macbook Pros struggled. HEVC footage is the future of 4K streaming, but with hardware support at least 18 months away we recommend using a 4K-ready external recorder or converting the footage to H.264 before trying to work with it.)

full review here if interested:

http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/samsung-nx1-digital-camera-review

thanks for looking I hope PD brings out a patch that improves the H265 CODEC

Tom G Thomas G
I'm a 33yr old trapped in a 69yr old body
[Post New]
No wonder, they are using Macs
My old Core2Quad computer with a GTS480 was able to play 4K smoothly in Windows Media Center Classic (CUDA playback selected).
Newer to me Dell T3500 (with a six core Xeon) and a Quadro 6000 doesn't break a sweat to play.
Newer gen i7 with a GTX970 is needed to do editing - Maxwell2 cards have a full h265 encoder inside, but is not yet fully supported in drivers. My guess is that it will come, and then maybe (not guaranteed) PowerDirector will support it.

However... 4k is overated.
- First of all, you NEED to have a 4k display. How many people have that?
- Second of all, even for 1920x1080, the viewing distance necessary to fully perceive the resolution was too small - most of the people have the view distance too big for their screen sizes, reducing the actual vision to some 720 or even lower. For a 4K perception, the screen has to be huge and view distance small. Nobody will follow this.

See an example:
http://www.rtings.com/info/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 14. 2014 08:19

Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
I will have to try and edit a 4K clip and encode it in h.265. Some of the people on a forum I go to are posting 4K clips on Vimeo and I can download a the original clip. I don't have a 4k screen or TV, but I just build a new system this week. I used the new i7 5960x on a Asus x99 board, but only got the GTX 760 video card. Might be a good test for it.
Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
This morning a download a 4K video file from Vimeo. It was the original clip before Vimeo did there thing to it. Media info said the file was 3840x2160 pixels and bit rate of 119 Mbps. I imported it to PD 13 and produce it to h.265 mp4 1080p with a bite rate of 5050 kbps. It took PD 13 2 minutes 12 seconds to produce it.

The video clip was 1 minute and 23 second long. I don't know if that is good or bad. I have not play with the HEVC H.265. Oh the original clip file size was 1.16 GB and my produce file size was 52.6 MB. That was all cpu encoding.

Screen shot after PD 13 was done.
[Thumb - 4K Video Rebder To h.265 5000 1080P.PNG]
 Filename
4K Video Rebder To h.265 5000 1080P.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
952 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
103 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 15. 2014 10:57

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos