Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
sound quality reduces when export as mpeg 4?
Merlijn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2014 06:34 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone, I've exported a video with sound to mpeg 4 and the bitrate is lower and also the soundquality :s, does anyone knows why this is?

result as mpeg 4:

result as h.264:

like you see, the mpeg 4's audio quality is lower, this is a problem for me because I would like to upload some video's to youtube with the same quality as i recorded the audio :/

I hope there is a sollution!
thanks!
Pais [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 17, 2013 04:22 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
When you produce the video you need to create a custom profile with the audio / video settings you prefer.

Select:
Profile Type: Custom > Click on the "+"

Now enter a name for the profile and choose the settings you prefer (including audio bitrate)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 01. 2014 08:50

Messaggio agli italiani che utilizzano PowerDirector , ColorDirector o AudioDirector : http://bit.ly/1rKjrav
Merlijn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, that was what I actually did =-/ and it still reduces it.
Merlijn [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks already for the quick reply !
Pais [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: thanks already for the quick reply !

Quote: Well, that was what I actually did =-/ and it still reduces it.

Are you telling me that you have created a profile with an audio bitrate and PD produces a video with a different bitrate?
Are you sure? Very strange... Messaggio agli italiani che utilizzano PowerDirector , ColorDirector o AudioDirector : http://bit.ly/1rKjrav
Merlijn [Avatar]
[Post New]
thats right, but only with mpeg 4 (mp4).. and i downloaded the newest patch etc so that couldn't be the problem either
Merlijn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Am I the only one with this problem?!
Pais [Avatar]
[Post New]
Now I use PowerDirector 13 so I can not check but in the past I've never had this problem (I think). I usually do not check on the bitrate of the output file Messaggio agli italiani che utilizzano PowerDirector , ColorDirector o AudioDirector : http://bit.ly/1rKjrav
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello everyone, I've exported a video with sound to mpeg 4 and the bitrate is lower and also the soundquality :s, does anyone knows why this is?

[snip]

like you see, the mpeg 4's audio quality is lower, this is a problem for me because I would like to upload some video's to youtube with the same quality as i recorded the audio :/

I hope there is a sollution!
thanks!

I think you have choosen a 50 fps, 16 Mbps profile to produce.

You original video was 3.552 Mbps, you then used a 16 Mbps profile to produce.
Your produced video is actually a higher bit rate than your original video.

The audio portion is also a higher bit rate than the original. 177 Kbps original VS 256 Kbps produced.

The only explanation is the interpolation of the video and audio.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 01. 2014 10:06

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Merlijn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi carl, thanks for the quick reply!

this is the original sound file, like you see I recorded it with 265 kbps (took a mediafile shot for more details).

Merlijn [Avatar]
[Post New]
the two pictures above were 2 produced files. 1 produced as mpeg 4 and the other as h.264.

This is the original sound file and I also selected 265 kbps in the export options in powerdirector

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 01. 2014 10:17

Merlijn [Avatar]
[Post New]
should h.264 be a sollution altough it takes alot of space.
Merlijn [Avatar]
[Post New]
its the audio bitrate i mean, srry
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
This is not a new problem. There is another thread about this somewhere in this forum from some months ago. Apparently it has never been corrected, at least in this version. If I remember correctly, to preserve the audio quality you need to export the edited file as an H.264 and, if you want an MP4 file with the same quality, convert it to MP4 in Handbrake. Time-consuming, but it works. There may be, and probably is, another way, but that's the only way I know about. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
Pais [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: This is not a new problem.

I did not know this. I have now made ​​a test with PD 13 and the bitrate of the file is correct. Probably it has been corrected. Messaggio agli italiani che utilizzano PowerDirector , ColorDirector o AudioDirector : http://bit.ly/1rKjrav
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I did not know this. I have now made ​​a test with PD 13 and the bitrate of the file is correct. Probably it has been corrected.
Thanks for that info. Glad to know that PD 13 does this task correctly. Something to consider if/when I decide to upgrade. Don't think there's much chance of it being fixed in this version. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I did not know this. I have now made ​​a test with PD 13 and the bitrate of the file is correct. Probably it has been corrected.
Thanks for that info. Glad to know that PD 13 does this task correctly. Something to consider if/when I decide to upgrade. Don't think there's much chance of it being fixed in this version.

Just so you don't base your PD13 upgrade on this being corrected for you since your current workflow involved a two step process going through Handbrake to get things correct. From what I have seen, PD13 behaves the same as PD12 in this audio bitrate regard. The old thread was this: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/39468.page

Attached image shows the same sample MP4 being encoded at 192Kbps for audio, MP4 won't maintain bitrate, M2TS will.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD13_MP4_audio.png]
 Filename
PD13_MP4_audio.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
410 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
75 time(s)
Merlijn [Avatar]
[Post New]
alright thanks all, Is just h.264 good for youtube or is mp4 more recommended?
Quote: This is not a new problem. There is another thread about this somewhere in this forum from some months ago. Apparently it has never been corrected, at least in this version. If I remember correctly, to preserve the audio quality you need to export the edited file as an H.264 and, if you want an MP4 file with the same quality, convert it to MP4 in Handbrake. Time-consuming, but it works. There may be, and probably is, another way, but that's the only way I know about.
BillyR
[Post New]
Quote: From what I have seen, PD13 behaves the same as PD12 in this audio bitrate regard.
Attached image shows the same sample MP4 being encoded at 192Kbps for audio, MP4 won't maintain bitrate, M2TS will.
Jeff
Thanx, Jeff. Looks like same old, same old. Don't know why, if Handbrake can encode MP4s at the specified bitrate, that PD can't do the same. Scratch one reason for upgrading. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
[Post New]
Quote: alright thanks all, Is just h.264 good for youtube or is mp4 more recommended?

Did you apply the latest PD12 patch?

And for your information, no matter how good you process the audio, youtube it will down-sample to 44.1kHz.
I couldn't believe, but that's the reality.