Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is PhotoDirector an "image editor" [New User]?
Tesityr
Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
[Post New]
Please forgive my ignorance if this question seems 'too unrelated' to PD3 and it's capabilities... I only just started using PhotoDirector 3, which came with my recent purchase of PowerDirector 12 (yes, just before the Update ). I haven't used it too much yet, but I am wondering if this program could be considered a general 'image editing program', in the vein of Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, the open-source GIMP, etc... It seems to have many organizational and 'tweaking' functions, but I have not seen many painting/pasting/text functions, as of yet.

What I was looking for was, more of a graphic editing program, where I could use photos or screenshots, add text, highlight areas and add lines, pointers and arrows, etc. all resulting in an eventual PNG/JPG/etc output. Is this something that PhotoDirector can do/was made for?

Thank you

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2014 02:37

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Good question I haven't found any tutorials on Photo Director taht addresses those features. Isn't that one of the benefits of having both Photo Director and Power Director?

I looked and you can optimize the photos and add a watermark (text). If you go to make a slide show, you can add text there and export to a video file.

You can bring the photo into Power Director and add the rest then capture a snapshot of the image.

There are probably better ways but this one should work.

BTW, Here are some good tutorials http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24696.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2014 14:56

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Hello Troy -

PhotoDirector is photo management & enhancement software above all else.

It does not do what I think you may be expecting, or asking about, not having all the regular drawing/painting tools you'd find in image editing software.

PhotoDirector does many things very well, but it's not a substitute for the other software you mentioned.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Tesityr
Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello Troy -

PhotoDirector is photo management & enhancement software above all else.

It does not do what I think you may be expecting, or asking about, not having all the regular drawing/painting tools you'd find in image editing software.

PhotoDirector does many things very well, but it's not a substitute for the other software you mentioned.

PIX

Hi Pix,

Thank you for the explanation! I looked at it some more and indeed it seems to be geared mostly towards organization and enhancement. That's fine, not only was it a nice free item that came with a purchase from CyberLink, I am satisfied with the capabilities it does have.

You are correct, for drawing/painting I will just have to utilize something else for now - perhaps CL will make an image editing application someday?

~Troy
Pais [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 17, 2013 04:22 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
PhotoDirector is a software very similar to Adobe Lightroom; both software are much simpler than Photoshop, but they are very powerful.
Photoshop is used by photographers, graphic designers, web designers and many other creative people, PhotoDirector is designed for photographers.
With PhotoDirector you can manage the whole "workflow" of your photographs, from capture to print. It is particularly appropriate for the cataloging and development of digital negatives (RAW). Messaggio agli italiani che utilizzano PowerDirector , ColorDirector o AudioDirector : http://bit.ly/1rKjrav