Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDR 13 - Cannot Use Particle Room - Program TRAPS
R4TPRIZE [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Raleigh, NC, USA Joined: Oct 07, 2014 22:17 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
I wonder if anyone has experienced this problem. Every time I try to use the Particle Room functions in PowerDirector 13 Utlra, the program causes my display driver to trap, and then PowerDirector terminates.

I am hoping there may be a simple workaround for this, as I am in the middle of a video project I need to complete, and i would like to use some of those particle effects.

I submitted a bug report to Cyberlink .. but of course I have to submit the world in order to get them look at it. Sometimes I feel these companies just don't want really look into any bugs in their code. ----------------
Cheers,
(R4TPRIZE) DB Lection
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I wonder if anyone has experienced this problem. Every time I try to use the Particle Room functions in PowerDirector 13 Utlra, the program causes my display driver to trap, and then PowerDirector terminates.

I am hoping there may be a simple workaround for this, as I am in the middle of a video project I need to complete, and i would like to use some of those particle effects.

I submitted a bug report to Cyberlink .. but of course I have to submit the world in order to get them look at it. Sometimes I feel these companies just don't want really look into any bugs in their code.

Standard question, What is the brand and version of your video driver?

There have several posts on NVidia Drivers and the later video cards.
Not so many on AMD/ATI cards.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

R4TPRIZE [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Raleigh, NC, USA Joined: Oct 07, 2014 22:17 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Carl,

I deeply appreciate your comments on this. I thought about this, and forgot to ask or mention. I do have a fairly recent NVIDIA card. Well maybe no so recent, but no more than 3 years old at most. I do have the latest drivers. So:

1. Should I revert to less recent NVidia drivers if I can find them?

2. Is there a sweet spot AIT graphics card that would be best for PowerDirector?

Lastly .. any chance of a workaround?

I appreciate any follow on thoughts you may have!

Cheers! ----------------
Cheers,
(R4TPRIZE) DB Lection
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello Carl,

I deeply appreciate your comments on this. I thought about this, and forgot to ask or mention. I do have a fairly recent NVIDIA card. Well maybe no so recent, but no more than 3 years old at most. I do have the latest drivers. So:

1. Should I revert to less recent NVidia drivers if I can find them?

2. Is there a sweet spot AIT graphics card that would be best for PowerDirector?

Lastly .. any chance of a workaround?

I appreciate any follow on thoughts you may have!

Cheers!

1. Page on NVidia and newer cards.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40468.page

Where to find older drivers.
NVidia Driver page:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

2. The ATI card in my computer has served me well, but it is long in the tooth. (over 3-4 years old). Still doing a great job with PD 13. I have not been looking, so I do not know what is a good choice now.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

R4TPRIZE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well .. For better or worse, I have ordered a new 2GB ATI card, with specific support for Windows 8.1 which I also running. I have had other issues with this NVidia card, so my hope is that this ATI will get me through this project.

I was amazed I could find a high rated 2GB PCIe card for a little over $60.

If this solved my problem, I will report it here for others who may run into this problem. Thanks again for your help!

Note: The new ATI Card SOLVED the particle room problem!

Cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 11. 2014 11:55

----------------
Cheers,
(R4TPRIZE) DB Lection
Tandy [Avatar]
Newbie Location: x Joined: Oct 10, 2014 16:30 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hello there. I have downloaded PD13 for trial and as an exercise I downloaded a particle effect from your website.
Flared Fashion.dzp. I double clicked on it after downloading <as prompted>, however the file does not appear in Power Director. I have since moved the file from downloads to <c/users/public/downloaded/effect/particle effects>, however it still does not appear in PD?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I do thank you for taking the time to respond.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Hello there. I have downloaded PD13 for trial and as an exercise I downloaded a particle effect from your website.
Flared Fashion.dzp. I double clicked on it after downloading <as prompted>, however the file does not appear in Power Director. I have since moved the file from downloads to <c/users/public/downloaded/effect/particle effects>, however it still does not appear in PD?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I do thank you for taking the time to respond.

Look in Particle Room > Downloaded.

Double clicking is the correct way to install a downloaded effect from Director Zone.
You should get a message that the effect was successfully installed.

I do not know if the trial can take downloaded effects.
The Trial is limited in many ways.

Retail versions do not have those limits.
Tandy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your response Carl. Given that the dialogue box confirms that the download was successful, it might appear that indeed this option is not available in the trial version.
Kind Regards.
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you for your response Carl. Given that the dialogue box confirms that the download was successful, it might appear that indeed this option is not available in the trial version.
Kind Regards.

Used here when the trial particle effect added, giving 2-click on the file, downloaded directly from DirectorZone, not from PD13, even because this way I have all the effects files saved in a folder and I can reinstall whenever you want.

Note: Each wrath effect to correspondete room, even if it is 4x3 or 16x9 are different rooms.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi dblml320 & anyone who's interested...

I know your problem is resolved now, but the weirdest thing started happening here yesterday.

Every time I clicked on a particle to preview it, the Nvidia driver would "stop responding", the screen would go black (completely), and PDR13 would crash. I've never previously had any issue with particles in PDR.

It's been working fine with the current Nvidia driver for weeks! Then it just changed its mind.

I tried rolling back the driver in Device manager. No - that didn't work... so I uninstalled the GPU driver completely. After reinstalling a driver from a few months back, everything's working fine.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
I think clicking "Custom" at install time and Ticking "Perform a clean installation" would do that too...

[Thumb - Install.PNG]
 Filename
Install.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
262 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2014 22:21

R4TPRIZE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi dblml320 & anyone who's interested...

I know your problem is resolved now, but the weirdest thing started happening here yesterday.

Every time I clicked on a particle to preview it, the Nvidia driver would "stop responding", the screen would go black (completely), and PDR13 would crash. I've never previously had any issue with particles in PDR.

It's been working fine with the current Nvidia driver for weeks! Then it just changed its mind.

I tried rolling back the driver in Device manager. No - that didn't work... so I uninstalled the GPU driver completely. After reinstalling a driver from a few months back, everything's working fine.

Cheers - Tony

Tony, Thanks for letting me know this. An ATI/AMD display adapter solved the problem for me. But I am still not without weird particle effect issues. I am becoming ready to think PDR 13 is not ready for prime time.... ----------------
Cheers,
(R4TPRIZE) DB Lection
Tandy [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've just purchased Powerdirector 13 and AudioDirector 5.
I couldn't be more happy with the quality that these programs give me. In fact I was utterly stunned at the quality produced because I never expected it to be so good.
Kudos Cyberlink!