Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Aspect Ratio
CalagazPhoto [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Pensacola, FL Joined: Aug 02, 2014 15:39 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Every video imported into PD12 becomes distorted to 16:9 Aspect Ratio. No matter how I convert it, or which program I use to convert the files...they all appear in PD12 at 16:9. When I play the video with other software or burn the video with other software, there is no change in the AR. Suggestions? PS...I dont want 16:9...I'd like to keep original.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can change it to 4x3 by clicking the 16:9 icon left of the preference icon and select 4:3.
[Post New]
Quote: Every video imported into PD12 becomes distorted to 16:9 Aspect Ratio. No matter how I convert it, or which program I use to convert the files...they all appear in PD12 at 16:9. When I play the video with other software or burn the video with other software, there is no change in the AR. Suggestions? PS...I dont want 16:9...I'd like to keep original.

If not shown by tomasc

Right clicks on the clip in the timeline, in the window that opens, see image.

If this does not solve, then set straight in the preview window, click on the white balls and drags until side get the right format.

Lateral black bands may appear if your video is not standard 16x9 or 4x3, these are the standard for PD12.

[Thumb - aspect ratio.jpg]
 Filename
aspect ratio.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
167 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2014 13:17

bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, you didn't say what aspect ratio your input footage is in or what aspect ratio you desire in your output video. As far as I am aware, PowerDirector only supports 16:9 and 4:3. "Video Cropper" used after production with PowerDirector might be a solution…
[Post New]
As above you can choose between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio for your project. I often do videos using footage of old Computer software and they are all 4:3.

You can also change the aspect ratio of images and videos by clicking modify, deselect keep aspect ratio and drag the dimensions. I often use the grid to orient myself. For example my capture card records in 16:9 even when recording 4:3 footage so by doing this I can just squish it back to 4:3. Website
YouTube