Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Date / Time code from DV Suggestion - Please Read!!
dpriest [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2008 13:51 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
I have read all previous posts on this issue and emailed tech support at Cyberlink. The bottom line is that unless the .avi was captured with PD7, and encoded with Rich Video, there is no way at all for PD7 to display this info. I need this feature, because I enter the date for many scenes in the timeline. I really like PD7 and have only used it for a couple weeks. Before I was using Corel VideoStudio.

Here is my suggestion for a patch for PD7 or certainly for the next future release of PD:

VideoStudio has an option to check off that displays the DV timecode info. It doesn't matter what software was used to capture the DV file. As long as the camcorder is recording this info in the data, there is no reason why PD shouldn't have an option like this as well. In my case, I capture my video with the Panasonic GS550 on miniDV tapes.

This would be a really nice feature that PD should incorporate and make an outstanding software program even better.
[Post New]
You can enter the date in scenes with the title function. I recently started "slating" most scenes with info I like to have available with a $16.95 white acrylic slate that has no clapboards attached. Got it from B&H, search for Birns & Sawyer. Small enough to fit in most mid size video bags this is great for organizing your shoot by scenes.

Anyway assuming you make some record of the date and location you can easily put this info at the bottom of the fram with the title track function. Like in some feature length movies: "36 hours earlier", "West Texas", "1871", you get the idea.
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
Forgive me, but I don't understand. What do I do with the Title function that will allow me to see the date of a particular part of an .avi video clip?
[Post New]
The title function doesn't do it.

You do it. At the time you make the recording you write down the date and any other information you may need later like location, scene and take number (if you're working from a script or storyboard), and any other pertinent data.

A convenient way to do this is to write it down on "director's slate" and "film" that for a few seconds at the start of each "take".

The title function in PowerDirector is a way for you to display any of that information you feel your viewers need. One example in a short I did on Ft. Chadbourne as the cavalry rode slowly towards the camera I had a title on the lower part of the screen that said, "1867 - Patrol out of Ft. Chadbourne". This showed for about 4 seconds as the cavalry re-enactors rode past the camera.

I thought something like that was what you meant. I guess all you wanted is to be able to read the data. I saw something about a software utility that was able to display some of that data, try some Google searches and see what turns up.
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
I understand what you are saying. For now I will have to play the avi file in Corel VideoStudio and read the data there and just enter it in PD. But PD SHOULD have this feature on it, and hopefully will add this to the next version or perhaps develop a patch for PD7.
Knut [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Germany Joined: Oct 03, 2007 12:16 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

maybe I misunderstood. But if you captured a DV-AVI by PD7 and import a scene to the timeline, you can use the button "timeinfo" ("Zeitinfo" in German). Then you will be able to display the timecode (recording date and time). You can use different formats and display options.
With "OK" the timeinfo-window will be closed and then time and date will be displayed for about three seconds at the beginning of the clip.

If you need text effects or want to display it at another part of the clip, you have to use the title function: look for date and time of the clip at "timeinfo" and then create a title manually with these infos.

In PD 6 you have no option to read or insert the timecode in a DV-AVI.
But in PD 7 it works great.

Hope I could help
Knut
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
I understand that. The problem is I have a lot of videos that were not captured with PD7. Regardless, it shouldn't matter what software captured the avi file because the camcorder automatically records and embeds that info digitally in the clips.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3522.page
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
I clicked on this link and am not sure what to make of it. How will this help me find the timecode info in PD7 from an .avi file that was not captured with pd7?
Knut [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Germany Joined: Oct 03, 2007 12:16 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
O.K.

You're right. PD7 is not able to display the timecode when the DV-AVI was captured with another program.
I think too, it would be a nice feature.

But you can use the freeware DVdate (search the internet). In DVdate you can import your files and create a list with all embedded timecodes.
Print the list an now create your titles.
With DVdate you also can create an new videofile with displayed timecodes.

Knut

dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. Hopefully Cyberlink will correct this either in this version or the next.