Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDR 12 "drops" frame on Video imported from file
[Post New]
Hi all , I'm new to this forum and I hope I can find a solution (or almost a reason) to my problem.

I have a JVC Adixxion camera that creates .MP4 (AVC H264) files with resolution of 1280x720 @ 30.00fps, the audio is MPEG AAC @44.1KHz.

The file looks pretty good if I run it on WindowsMediaPlayer or VLC...

If I import this file in PDR 12 the software alerts me the timeline and the file have different framerates... but i'ts not true.
I have selected in the settings of PDR 30fps for timeline and the file is 30.00fps!
Maybe, when I select 30fps, PDR internally sets 29.97fps????

I don't think this alert is the cause of my problem because the problem comes out after only 30 seconds.
When I play it from timeline (and also when I play the produced file in VLC or WMP) after about 30 seconds from start I can notice the video is not fluid: scrolling the frames on timeline one by one I can see that between two frames are missing one or more other frames. I think more than a single frame is missing becasue the gap is perfecly visible when playing the video at normal speed.

Is there someone that has sperimented the same issue? is the source file "corrupted"? Even if WMP & VLC can play it greatly smoothly??

Thanks in advance!
Michele

P.S.
excuse me for poor english... at scool I've studied German... but I know it less than english
Daniel.Saxer [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Argentina Joined: Apr 06, 2014 23:08 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!!
in VLC you can see the video frame rate with "Ctrl-j", and check if it was produced at 30fps (in sub-folder codec)
May be your computer experiment some lack of CPU/memory when was producing
did you try to produce again?
don't worry for the english, much people have not 'english' as native tongue Daniel Saxer
Asus GT750
i74700 2.4 + GTX770M + 16Gb ram
[Post New]
thank you for interest : ,
I think the problem is in the file because i've noticed the problem working in a project with many files.
I opened and closed PDR various times but the problem is still there.
I've tried also to to delete shadowed files generated by PDR but the problem returns...

Then i've tried to create a new project with only the file with problem and the problem comes out in the same position (at the same minute,second of the source file) even if the position of the file is different in the two projects.

I haven't tried to encode file in another format before import in PDR, and I prefer not to encode files before editing to mantain a good quality of results and to save time

The strange thing is that in VLC and WMP the original file plays good, without visible gaps.

Tomorrow i'll try to re-encode the file to se if something changes.

thankyou and see ya in cyberspace!
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
You may already know this, but if not:

Click on the gear to set "Preferences". On the first tab (general) you can set the frame rate (to 30 in your case). Then you can either use "drop-frame" or not. If not, you'll have 30 fps. If so, you'll have 29.97.

Hope this helps.

P.S. My avatar photo was taken in Montepulciano...hence the big smile!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2014 12:21

Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
[Post New]
ahhhhhh, finally someone explained me what is the meaning of that checkbox
I made a search with google but didn't found an explanation so immediate and clear.

thankyou very much.

P.S.
VLC with ctrl+J tells me the file is 30fps so in the preferences of PD i will not check the drop frames checkbox. right?
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Right. If you don't check drop frame, you'll have 30fps (or whatever you have selected as frame rate.)

P.S. I changed my avatar...the current one was not taken in Montepulciano (hence the lack of a big smile). Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
[Post New]
Many thanks,
i've set the "drop frame timecode" to NO, so the timeline will run at 30.00fps: the same of the video source. But PDR still alert me that timeline frame rate differs from the clip.... the message appears even if the value of setting is YES I don't know what think about this alert...

I attached 3 images of :
- program settings (30fps)
- alert message
- info about clip

The problem of frames freezed is VERY VERY strange... i've made some tests and re-encoded the clip in another .mp4 file with with the same codec (H264 AVC) with same fps, same resolution, higher video bitrate and higher audio bitrate (to loose less details as possible).
I've replaced in timeline the problematic file with the re-encoded and the problem vanished. Then i reinserted the original file and the problem returned....
So I understand the original file has some problems in his stream, but I don't get a sense of why VLC & WMP plays the file fine.

In PDR i can scroll the video by one frame at time and at the problematic frame i can see 9 frames replicated. In VLC i can also move cursor by one frame at time an I can see the real frames "hidden" in PDR.

Excuse me for the verbose response, maybe i'ts a way to train my english

In conclusion of this strange experience, i solved it re-encoding the file but is not the right way to solve and comprehend the problem. I believe in future I will encounter other times this oddity almost until I will buy another ActionCam ...

Thankyou all Dan, Daniel and MPEG_Streamclip (for free reencoding) :

P.S.
the avatar taken in Montepulciano was better than your last

Filename
PDR_Settings.png
[Disk]
 Description
Settings with 30fps without "drop frame timecode"
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
66 time(s)