Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
NVIDIA Drivers
rcohen [Avatar]
Member Location: Smokey mountains, TN Joined: Oct 10, 2013 21:44 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/spec_en_US.html

PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the video hardware acceleration feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver.

Suggestion: Fix it. Also make clear if that applies to Quadro cards too (it does), because the driver link points to a GeForce driver.

Does this also apply to PD V12? My i5 has a GTX 770 and my editing response time is TERRIBLE... seems everything is delayed and the preview EVEN IN LOW RES stutters.... the scrubbing is completely useless and editing is AN UPHILL BATTLE.

Thanks

r RCMedia Services dot net
Most Anything Digital
rcohen [Avatar]
Member Location: Smokey mountains, TN Joined: Oct 10, 2013 21:44 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone know which version driver is the one that should be downgraded to in order to make PD work right ? And does anyone know the process of downgrading this driver ? Do I have to UNinstall the current driver first?

Thanks RCMedia Services dot net
Most Anything Digital
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Hi rchoen

If you check out this thread http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40407.page" target="_new" rel="nofollow"> http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40407.page for a more detailed (!) brief on what you need to do.

Also, here is a link to the Nvidia old driver download page http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/75992
There is no need to remove your existing driver as the downloading process will replace your driver for you

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2014 04:01

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
[Post New]
Quote: Does this also apply to PD V12?

Yes. Get the 337 driver.
It think is silly that that is not fixed yet.
rcohen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Kyle, thank you very much to taking the time to reply to me.

SoNic, indeed.... I am SOOO very put out by Cyberlink that I have decided to eventually replace this software... which is sad considering that I have upgraded it twice so far (at my own expense) in hopes of a fix and twice it did not fix anything. I myself have authored software over the past ten years or so and so I'm looking at this scenario from a coder's standpoint. There is simply no reason or excuse to NOT fix these things that have been complained about for so long and then CHARGE MONEY for "upgrades" to new versions. That shows not just lazy coding but also a total disregard to the folks who are supporting you.

And the software not being for "professional" intent has NOTHING to do with it. To install this software on workstations that have graphic cards that are more expensive than some computers, only to have these kinds of problems is completely inexcusable, even for GAMES. Cyberlink won't get another nickle from me UNLESS they start showing that they HEAR the complaints and address them. Honestly, the R&D team for this company should be embarrassed over this nonsense.

Meanwhile, I am researching an alternative solution.

Thanks again for your help.... I'm not sure yet that I want to DEPRECIATE my expensive hardware just to meet the requirements of an (apparently) outdated video editing software... that's not why I purchased this workstation. It's much easier to get rid of the problem software ; Perhaps I'll give my copy of PD to my daughter to toy with.

Cheers

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2014 14:49

RCMedia Services dot net
Most Anything Digital
rcohen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey guys, I went ahead and installed the depreciated drivers and that improved things to the point of just an annoyance ; Thanks a bunch for the help. Before this, getting something DONE was a complete and utter struggle.

I sure wish Cyberlink would address this. I must have had a driver later than this right out of the box, as this is a fairly new purchase.

Thanks again.

Robert RCMedia Services dot net
Most Anything Digital
[Post New]
I did try a few competitor's products (trials for 30 day) and situation is not better. My PC has a Xeon E5450 (Core2Quad) with Quadro 2000 and 8GB RAM. So no "Quick Sync"...
Test: Just exporting a file, no menus or effects.

Corel VideoStudio Pro X7 - no GPU usage. At all.

Corel Pinnacle Studio 17 - it is advertised on NVidia site but... GPU acceleration is used only for effects and for exporting h264 to h264. Because I had a different input format, the GPU utilization was hovering only at around 10-12%.

Windows Movie Maker - no GPU usage in my settings. Short bursts at 8% here and there, even when the output was set to h264 format.

Power Director 12 - GPU usage was at 65%. Fastest conversion, but only when exports to h264.

I might install the trial of PD13, just to compare.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 29. 2014 20:38

rcohen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good information SoNic, thanks. Might just have to start saving for one of the big boys, but honestly, the update (downgrade) on the driver made things at least bearable. Would PREFER to have tight response, accurate scrub, etc, and jeeesh.... a consistently stable refreshing GUI would be nice, but... for now at least it's workable.

I appreciate your feedback and help. I see you're in VA... where about ? I'm in the Tri-Cities, TN

rcohen RCMedia Services dot net
Most Anything Digital
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Yes, rcohen and SoNic67, it is very frustrating when all you want to do is edit a video, perhaps do a little colour correcting and sort out the audio!

I bought PE 10 when it was first available, but it has no hardware acceleration at all and is very slow at rendering, having said all that, is very quick on editing! I fell out of love with it when Adobe changed the User Interface and really dumbed it down. Another manufacture who appears to be pushing for automated results. Maybe PE 13 is a few of the bugs knocked out of it, hopefully they have hardware acceleration enabled.

I then bought Pinnacle Studio 16, this appeared to be the bees knees. Very fast while editing, some brilliant plugins for colour correcting and audio editing. BUT it kept crashing big time and VERY slow at rendering even with hardware acceleration. The music package that came with it is/was brilliant though!

I'm now thinking about the editing software, Hitfilm. Not much in the way of audio capability but, wow. it appears to be very quick indeed! I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
[Post New]
I got an answer to my Support Inquiry:
I understand your concern that you want to know What is the hardware/drivers support for NVidia Quadro lineup of cards (specifically Quadro 2000 or Quadro 6000).
Regarding your concern, I would like to inform you that the message about nVidia hardware acceleration not available is because nVidia disable CUDA in driver version 340.43 or later. It is not only for CyberLink PowerDirector.
We have verified nVidia Quadro 410 in CyberLink lab but didn't physically verify nVidia Quadro 2000 or Quadro 6000. The driver we verified is the version v334.95.

Well, that's just not true. CUDA is still alive at version 6.5...
New in Release 340.84:
•OpenGL hardware acceleration on Windows Remote Desktop
•CUDA 6.5
•New Nview Version 141.36
•Workstation application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, feature limitations, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2014 18:59

rcohen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I got an answer to my Support Inquiry:
I understand your concern that you want to know What is the hardware/drivers support for NVidia Quadro lineup of cards (specifically Quadro 2000 or Quadro 6000).
Regarding your concern, I would like to inform you that the message about nVidia hardware acceleration not available is because nVidia disable CUDA in driver version 340.43 or later. It is not only for CyberLink PowerDirector.
We have verified nVidia Quadro 410 in CyberLink lab but didn't physically verify nVidia Quadro 2000 or Quadro 6000. The driver we verified is the version v334.95.

Well, that's just not true. CUDA is still alive at version 6.5...
New in Release 340.84:
•OpenGL hardware acceleration on Windows Remote Desktop
•CUDA 6.5
•New Nview Version 141.36
•Workstation application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, feature limitations, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.

Not surprised in the least. The regard this company has for their clients is already apparent. What's a little more BS ?

Kyle... yes, I am eyeballing HitFilm myself. If I want audio capacity.... I'll purchase an audio editor ; When a company tries to be everything and fails at customer support and relations, it's time to move on. Their bugs will never be fixed because... they simply do not care.

r

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 30. 2014 21:28

RCMedia Services dot net
Most Anything Digital
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I’ll try to shed a little light as far as I see it.

Evolution of Nvidia GPU hardware (Kepler based devices so like 3/2012) brought changes to the drivers that Nvidia supplies. Since new technology has been out for several years, it appears Nvidia with 340.43 and newer drivers ,the CUDA video encoding function was dropped on their GPUs with CUDA capability scores below 3.0 (essentially below 650 series), the drivers now support only their new NVENC encoding technology. NVENC encoding is only capable with Kepler based GPU's, so 650+ series. NVENC is Nvidia's newer hardware core that performs video encoding, essentially CUDA's replacement.

However, to my knowledge, PD(any version) currently does not support NVENC, hence the issues. So for CUDA hardware encoding one needs to stay with the older driver. Don’t confuse CUDA support with OpenCL, two different items. The new drivers with PD12 and PD13 still support OpenCL hardware acceleration based on what I’ve seen (Pref > HA > OpenCL). Just not hardware encoding (Produce > Fast video rendering technology > Hardware video encoder).

Very unfortunate this is how things unfolded. I’m not sure how CL claims "CyberLink has built strategic partnerships with leading CPU and GPU providers and a solid reputation for delivering high-quality, interoperable, and fast time-to-market solutions that keep our OEM partners from top PC brands on the leading edge. " http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/company/press-news-content.do?pid=3647 and then leaves the user community hanging. I had posted the same in this thread, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/39967.page#206632 , I guess it was passed to CL, not that that does the current user community much good. It would appear to me, 3/2012 technology for a strategic partnership should not have caught anyone off guard, especially in a PD13 release and at least a patch for PD12 when Nvidia released the new CUDA less drivers, 6/2014.

Will Nvidia bring back CUDA support to old cards and new drivers releases, my guess, probably not, that's usually how basic technology advancement occurs. Not too many places to read your 3.5 inch floppy these days, let alone my stack of 5 1/4 and a few 8 inch. It still does leave a grey area for those users with pre 650 cards no doubt, but that's only a minor upgrade cost.

I disagree with the context of the statement that it's not only CL PD. Yes it affected all hardware encoding, HOWEVER, many encoders that I use already support NVENC so it's not a major impact for those.

If you want to know your CUDA capability for your card, see https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

Jeff
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Tested, the NVidia GTX650 card here does not support PD 11 Hardware encoding using newer drivers.
Driver 9.18.13.3788 enables that feature.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 01. 2014 00:09

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Tested, the NVidia GTX650 card here does not support Hardware encoding using newer drivers. Driver 9.18.13.3788 enables that feature.

Yep, fit's the mold of exactly what I said. New drivers and GTS650 only support NVENC, not CUDA, so with PD currently only supporting CUDA, the only current option would be the old drivers.

Jeff
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Tested, the NVidia GTX650 card here does not support Hardware encoding using newer drivers. Driver 9.18.13.3788 enables that feature.

Yep, fit's the mold of exactly what I said. New drivers and GTS650 only support NVENC, not CUDA, so with PD currently only supporting CUDA, the only current option would be the old drivers.

Jeff

Thanks JL_JL I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote:

Kyle... yes, I am eyeballing HitFilm myself. If I want audio capacity.... I'll purchase an audio editor ; When a company tries to be everything and fails at customer support and relations, it's time to move on. Their bugs will never be fixed because... they simply do not care.

r

Good luck SoNic67 I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
[Post New]
Quote: Evolution of Nvidia GPU hardware (Kepler based devices so like 3/2012) brought changes to the drivers that Nvidia supplies. Since new technology has been out for several years, it appears Nvidia with 340.43 and newer drivers ,the CUDA video encoding function was dropped on their GPUs with CUDA capability scores below 3.0 (essentially below 650 series), the drivers now support only their new NVENC encoding technology. NVENC encoding is only capable with Kepler based GPU's, so 650+ series. NVENC is Nvidia's newer hardware core that performs video encoding, essentially CUDA's replacement.

Quote: Yep, fit's the mold of exactly what I said. New drivers and GTS650 only support NVENC, not CUDA, so with PD currently only supporting CUDA, the only current option would be the old drivers.
Jeff

LE: My bad, I misunderstand your post. Sorry...

This message was edited 9 times. Last update was at Oct 02. 2014 10:04

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Jeff, stop believing what CL told you, it is just not true.

SoNic67, CL did not tell me anything, I never implied they did, nor have I had any contact with them by email, tech support or the like so don't think what I wrote was CL news.

Because of the severity of this issue, I sure wish CL and Nvidia through their partnership would make a concise joint statement for the user community on the current and future condition of PD hardware encoding with Nvidia cards. CL simply posting the note to use old drivers in the specs of PD12 and PD13 was not acceptable in my view.

My understanding is the driver issue is just the old drivers that provided the hardware encoding interface for 3rd party codes like PD to interface with are absent in the new driver releases, Nvidia appears to have moved on and only support the new interface in the new drivers for 3rd party codes to interface with. So if 3rd party tools have not incorporated the new driver interface, encoding is currently unavailable.

Jeff
[Post New]
I totally agree it's a snafu that needs to be fixed. CL told me that CUDA isn't supported so I assumed that you hear the same from them.
Maybe CL needs to go on with the program and re-code the software to really use CUDA, not to rely on some NVidia routines. Partnership with nVidia can be looked for also, so those routines be licensed to use by CL again.

PS; Later I edited the post, because I realized it might offend you, but you already had quoted it. Apologies.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2014 12:02

[Post New]
I cannot post a new thread to post how I solved the problem...
I will keep trying.

This page can't be displayed. Contact support for additional information.
The incident ID is: 992002536488687172.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2014 23:33