Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem in applying borders
[Post New]
Hi,
I have been using PD13 for a few projects and came across unexpected behavior when applying borders to a video clip. I shot some video in portrait mode (turning the camera 90 degrees). It imports to and plays in PD13. I can scale the video so it is within the TV-safe zone --- still plays OK. However, when I add a border to the video, the clip gets complete squashed and loses the original aspect ratio. I tried rotating the clip 360 degrees, but the results were the same. It this a program bug or operator error?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I can tell it is a bug in PowerDirector 13.

I tried a Portrait mode and a Landscape mode Cell phone video.

Power Director 13 changed the rotation and shrank the image to very small size on the Portrait mode when I applied a border.

I did the same thing in Powerdirector 12, it was fine.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kuroshio -

I'm guessing your clip may have been shot on a phone (?) - other not dissimilar problems have been posted with phone cameras shot in portrait mode.

I just ducked outside and shot a clip sideways (Canon XA20) & it behaves perfectly predictably in PDR13. There's no distortion when rotated and border applied... screen shots attached.

So - not a universal portrait/rotation "bug", but possibly an issue with some camera phone clips & how they interact with PD (based on other posts).

Could you post a short sample clip shot in the same mode?

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Portrait Border (no rotate).png]
 Filename
Portrait Border (no rotate).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1261 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
102 time(s)
[Thumb - Portrait Border.png]
 Filename
Portrait Border.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1276 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
103 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Thanks for the responses. I shot the clip with a Sony RX100M3 camera and recorded in XAVC-S format. The video from the camera when taken in that format is outstanding. Based on the two answers so far, this might be a camera dependent problem or a video format problem. Is there a way to upload the clip?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the responses. I shot the clip with a Sony RX100M3 camera and recorded in XAVC-S format. The video from the camera when taken in that format is outstanding. Based on the two answers so far, this might be a camera dependent problem or a video format problem. Is there a way to upload the clip?

If the clip is small (short) you can attach it to the forum. 5 to 10 seconds is enough.

Use the PostReply button, not Quick Reply.
Blue Attachments button below the text box.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Carl312
[Post New]
Tony, here is a portrait mode Video shot with my Nokia Lumia 520 Cell phone.
It has a rotation flag that says 90 degrees. This does in PowerDirector 13 what Kuroshio says.

Filename
WP_20140928_001.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Portrait mode.
 Filesize
15187 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
233 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 28. 2014 16:53

[Post New]
This is the clip. I hope it is not too large
 Filename
C0106.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
70783 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
244 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
EEK! Carl - I see what you mean... and it doesn't even need borders applied.

Kuroshio - OK - forget what I guessed about camera phones But you're right - it's camera dependent. What does it do in PDR12? Is it similar to Carl's findings?

70MB downloads through this server might take a while to complete... I'll get back toy you in a while.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
The clip from the Sony RX100M3 does exactly what Carl's Nokia clip does.

But guys - even though they're recorded in portrait mode, they're not recorded "sideways" so they shouldn't need rotating anyway. Have I missed something? Probably. Yes, I have.

In PDR12, both clips display sideways when imported. In PDR13, they're displayed "correctly"... so PDR13 is reading the orientation tags but PDR12 isn't (?)

Haha I just took some snapshots in PDR13 - it just gets sillier. They display "rotated 90°" in the media library (even though they're actually correct)

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - 12-13.png]
 Filename
12-13.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
439 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
246 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 28. 2014 17:58

[Post New]
Hi Carl and Tony,
Thanks for taking a look at clip. I think the work-around at this point is to use PD12. I hope this program aberration gets noted for correction in future releases.