Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A couple of audio questions....
Rayj2011 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 29, 2008 12:37 Messages: 65 Offline
[Post New]

First this one is not actually PD related, but what do you guys do when recording outdoors on a VERY windy day. It's a mixture of sustained
winds and gusts. Some of my clips start out sounding like gunshots with echos!!! I use a Sony HDR SR-11 with standard built in mic.

After splitting the audio from a clip, how can I export it? I want to try editing it in an external audio program like Audacity..

Thanks,

Ray
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ray,

I still use PD6 but I couldn't find a way to save/export a sound track so I just played the video and recorded the track with an audio editor. Admittedly, it was only a short track so it didn't take much doing, I suppose a 3 hr track migh be a bit of a pain . Anyway that worked for me and I was able to edit it with effects etc OK
Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Rayj2011 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Ray,

I still use PD6 but I couldn't find a way to save/export a sound track so I just played the video and recorded the track with an audio editor. Admittedly, it was only a short track so it didn't take much doing, I suppose a 3 hr track migh be a bit of a pain . Anyway that worked for me and I was able to edit it with effects etc OK
Cheers
Adrian

Thanks vn...that surely is a way to do it, but you would think there should be a way to save off the audio right from PD? Maybe a new feature?
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, it would be good to be able to capture a track, I sometimes find a nice set of sounds that would be good to have as a background (running water, surf etc) but you often need to 'clean it up' a bit, ideal if you could capture, save and export.
maybe next release?
cheers

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Rayj2011 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Yes, it would be good to be able to capture a track, I sometimes find a nice set of sounds that would be good to have as a background (running water, surf etc) but you often need to 'clean it up' a bit, ideal if you could capture, save and export.
maybe next release?
cheers

There is a feature in Sony Vegas. You can name your audio editor in preferences and then do an Edit Audio! It is pretty neat. I have an
audio editor called Audacity (freeware)...which I am trying to figure out how to use.

Ray
[Post New]
One of the first things I would try on the next project is to shield your mic grill on the camera from the wind. Just about the best thing for killing wind noise is animal fur and some fabric shops have some artificial fur trim with self adhesive backing. A small piece of that might work.

I use an external mic with a Deadcat (No, they don't kill cats for that) windmuff (Deadcat is a brand name). I bought the Rode StereoVideoMic and the price of $249 includes the Deadcat.

There is a limit to how much wind noise that will handle but it works far better than a foam windscreen.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Ray

If all you want is a audio file to work on in Audacity or another audio editor try this in both PD6 & PD7.
1) Go to Produce, Create a Streaming File
2) Select WMV
3) Use the elevator box to select "Windows Media Audio 8 for ISDN (Better than CD Quality, 96Kbps)" Lots of choices but look for Audio in the title.

Jeff
vn800rider
[Post New]
Very neat tip, should have thought of that!
Thanks.

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
cohenner [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Baltimore, MD Joined: Jul 09, 2008 11:07 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
There is a really neat application called AOA Audio Extractor. It allows you to grab the audio from any movie and convert it to one of many formats. Best of all - its free!

David David Cohen
Presented For You!
Analog > Digital Conversions & Video Editing