Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm going to ask for a refund, sorry!
[Post New]
Stevek,

what I actually don't understand is, why ppl tend to be defensive in a way - we might know, that something is not optimal, but that's just it, and if you don't like it, go and use another SW option.

Well, I have read many reviews and gave try to some of SW options, and the reason why I ended up using PD is, that I kind of like it, and it is a good fit for the money. I don't use Mac as well as I am not going to go for more profi soft (e.g. Premiere), as I don't have money for that nor do I pirate the SW.

But - that does not mean, that CL could not eventually improve the product. Some of feature requests/wishes are here for many versions already. So why not embrace them? Or why not provide a scripting capability, so that community could tweak/automate some features, etc.? E.g. Adorage comes from the Amiga land, where each app had a scripting capability.

As for the purpose of the Forum - who said, that CL does not monitor the situation here? I am on many forums, and apart from those, which are built by the community, the one being directly linked from CL website, carrying even their domain name - I would really expect, is under the CL radar.

Well, this discussion might be endless, so time to stop for me here. The main point I tried to express was, opening up some abilities and/or providing more profesionally looking content. My suggestion was to eventually produce those as a paid content pack - I would buy such a set. DZ just does not cut it for me, quality wise.

My post is not meant being offensive, so sorry if I am pushing too hard for some ideas ...

Petr
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
The impression one gets from using PD13 (versus PD12) is that the primary focus was to get additional revenue for the least amount of development effort. Since we have another 12 months before the next release our (the users) complaints may be answered over time. But having been a long time user I should know better. Win 10, i7
Mau1wurf1977 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 14, 2012 00:55 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
I guess I'm a typical target user for PD. I'm producing basic videos for YouTube to do with old DOS Computers. I started using Movie Maker but quickly wanted more.

So I looked at Vegas, Premiere and PD. PD had the value I was after and the trial version worked well for me. I'm still using only a fraction of the features, but that's ok. I'm also used to PD since version 10 so I'm reluctant to learn something new.
Gnomad [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2014 03:45 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I guess I'm a typical target user for PD. I'm producing basic videos for YouTube to do with old DOS Computers. I started using Movie Maker but quickly wanted more.

So I looked at Vegas, Premiere and PD. PD had the value I was after and the trial version worked well for me. I'm still using only a fraction of the features, but that's ok. I'm also used to PD since version 10 so I'm reluctant to learn something new.

You have hit the nail on the head.

I see people grousing about missing features that they can easily get in Vegas Pro for $799 or Premiere for $999, so why don't they use those products? Because they are cheap and want the world given to them by CL.

When I see people say that they are "xxx" for their real job I throw their comments into the trash bin since you don't impress anyone with perceived internet cred and if you have to resort to that to prove your point then you are a fraud.

If I stepped on anyone's toes then tough, you know who you are. If you don't like the product then pony up for the big time software and pay the piper. You ain't gonna get ProTools type products for the price of a beer.
Mau1wurf1977 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 14, 2012 00:55 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Hehe don't hold back

I often wonder: What else is there? I mean I use titles, transitions, crop and resize images and videos (I capture 4:3 aspect ratio footage), slow down and speed up footage (it's boring watching a 4 minute progress bar), PiP, audio compressor, audio boost, voice commentary...

I have not (yet) ran into something that PD couldn't do. On the other hand I never had any formal training either, so I don't know what else there is. The video tutorials on YouTube have always answered my questions.

One thing I might look into is annotating videos with animations, arrows, things like that. But I'm not sure if a video editor is even meant to do such a thing.

When I was looking around Sony didn't have the entry level version (Cinema Movie Studio) available yet. But the way it is now I don't see any need to switch or learn another package. I rather focus the time on making more videos

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2014 04:24

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Thank you for the feedback, lots to read and pass onto CyberLink, for them to take in.
I have of course referred this thread/given the url for CL to take a look.
Many very valid points have been made here.
Dafydd
Kevinv64 [Avatar]
Member Location: Upper Midwest Joined: Jun 28, 2012 05:41 Messages: 106 Offline
[Post New]
People need to recognize what PD is intended to be: an above-average, consumer-grade NLE. As Gnomad pointed out, you can always buy much more expensive software if you want the features they offer.

[Post New]
Kevin64: I agree that in the prosumer field PD is the best, but I still think that CL are starting to focus more attention to fizzy transitions and effects rather than the functionality. I'd like to see improvements in the usability of the program such as completing the Multi-Cam designer and the Disk menu designer for instance, rather than spending time on the cosmetic appearance of the user interface. There are other gaps in the program as well that others have identified. I rushed forward and purchased this version based on my past experience with PD upgrades, but I'll be downloading the trial versions in future before I decide to buy. Scott Hendry
www.scotthendry.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
Kevinv64 [Avatar]
Member Location: Upper Midwest Joined: Jun 28, 2012 05:41 Messages: 106 Offline
[Post New]
And those are legitimate points, Scott. When people talk about issues like you mention, as well as bugs that go unaddressed for far too long, I consider that entirely appropriate.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Kevin64: I agree that in the prosumer field PD is the best, but I still think that CL are starting to focus more attention to fizzy transitions and effects rather than the functionality. I'd like to see improvements in the usability of the program such as completing the Multi-Cam designer and the Disk menu designer for instance, rather than spending time on the cosmetic appearance of the user interface. There are other gaps in the program as well that others have identified. I rushed forward and purchased this version based on my past experience with PD upgrades, but I'll be downloading the trial versions in future before I decide to buy.

I would not judge what the Full Retail versions of Powerdirector does by the trial. trials are not anymore that a scratch of the surface.
The trial is supposed to give a taste of what is available. I do not agree with Cyberlink policy on trials, The trial is very limited and cannot be made into a full program. The full program is a super large download.

You should check out the PD13 Tutorials. There have been changes.

Menu Designer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-do66vpFeA

MultiCam Editing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YazEBOU5oW0

All of the PD 13 tutorials:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40227.page
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rcohen [Avatar]
Member Location: Smokey mountains, TN Joined: Oct 10, 2013 21:44 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
I see that most argue about the price / feature ratio of PD, but what about the stability? Personally, I don't care much about ANY features if the GUI flakes off during my productivity session. I read several folks here that point out what I have been pointing out... that a high end machine should NOT struggle with resources. This should be a basic concern, not an argument of features OR price. If the program can't use high end computers effectively, then it's not worth ten bucks.

I hung on waiting for this upgrade ... and see it's no better on system resources than it was before.

Time to shift gears.

Good luck guys.

RCMedia Services dot net
Most Anything Digital
Alessandro de Sica [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 24, 2013 19:23 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
My last word in this thread here:

Cyberlink has canceled my order and refunded my money, no problems or questions asked.

Thank you Cyberlink, really, and let's hope you'll see my money again when PD 14 comes out, probably the best PD ever!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2014 10:37