Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
We need the "KEN BURNS EFFECT" in PD5
Ken [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2006 08:10 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
My brother has a Mac and uses iMovie. I have watched him work with it and I really didn't see many glaring shortfalls in PD5. The one effect that I would LOVE to have in PD5 is the "Ken Burns Effect." This allows you to select how to Pan and Zoom on a picture in your movie. In PD5 you never know if the picture will zoom in or out or pan to the correct spot. I think this would be a great feature in PD. I would even pay for an add-on to have this effect. If you agree let's fill up this Forum and catch the attention of a programmer at Cyberlink.

Thanks Ken Lebersfeld
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ken Lebersfeld,

You've raised two points in your posting.
1. The Pan Zoom effect (which PD5 has)
2. Suggestions to the PowerDirector development team.

I'll deal with point "2" first. Great idea... and you'll have my support if you post some more wants. Feedback is read and taken notice of...even when I email it to CyberLink.

Okay, lets have a look at Pan and Zoom effect. I'm using PowerDirector 5 Premium, I'm sure this is also in PD5.

Action list:
1. Open PD
2. Select Mountain.jpg and drag it into the timeline
3. Click on the image in the timeline. Now I stretch the image here to have a better effect... about 45 seconds will do.
4. Look on the left of the timeline you'll see some magic Motion icons. Select the "picture" one.
5. The Magic Motion "work area" pops up.
6. Select Zoom and Pan in the Motion Effect drop down menu
7. Untick "automatically set focus"
8. You'll notice a moveable rectangle in the preview window.
9. Move the rectangle to the point you want the Pan/Zoom to start at. I chose to also shrink the rectangle and focus on the mountain peak.
10. Go to Preview button and click... to check the sequence
11. Click Apply if everything is okay.

Is that what you wanted to do?

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 01. 2006 09:52

Ken [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2006 08:10 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your quick reply! I have PD5 Premium also. I know how the resize the "pan & zoom" select box. Even with this feature you don't have control over whether it will zoom in or out or which direction it will pan. Sometimes I will want a picture to zoom out and PD5 will zoom in. There is no way, that I can see, to control that. I figured out that there is some degree of control over the pan feature. If you shape the box horizontally (with pan checked) it will pan that direction but there is no way to make it go left or right. It sounds like a small issue but I have made several movie where a picture of a person is funny because of what is around the person. If you start on a closeup of the face and zoom out, it will be funny. If you select the face in the select box and PD decides that you want to zoom in it spoils the effect. Conversely, if you have a group shot and want to zoom in on someone making a funny face. You select the face and PD decides to start on the face and zoom out it spoil the effect. The "KEN BURNS EFFECT" allows total control over the pan & zoom. You can select where to start and where to end. You can pan and zoom in the same image. The namesake is a director named (you guessed it) Ken Burns. He is most famous for directing a PBS mini series called "The Civil War" about the US civil war. In that film he used the movie camera to "explore" old photographs and make you feel a sense of motion from a still photograph. Thanks again for your quick response and hopefully other users will scream for this very nice feature. Anyone reading this please post a reply so we can get some attention to this really neat add-on. Aren't you tired of your Apple brethren belittling your movie software??
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Ken,

Okay, I'm with you. You want the zoom effect to have a closer starting point even if the image isn't up to it.... and come out to a wide expansive image.

I'll pass on the feedback...thank you.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 01. 2006 15:23

Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to see a rolling effect available for PIP. That would be cool. Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Barry (your surname means "ab Harri - son of Harri) ,

Basically you want to have transition effects on a PiP - is that correct?

To have this "effect", treat the file you're going to place in the PiP as a separate task to edit in the time-line. Add all the transition effects and create the finished file (mpeg etc format). Then bring that file into PiP.

If I've mis-interpreted what you meant just give some more information.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dafydd

Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
I will do that tonight, I wanted to create a title sequence for the end of each of my videos rather than do it over and over. My psuedonym is "Knottyfilms"! It works on so many levels! By the way, Dafydd, are you ever surprised at the volume of different glitches people run into? I used Pinnacle for a couple of YEARS on and off trying to get things right. Now []that's a forum full of hatred and vitriol. PowerDirector is much better. Less bugs. LONG LIVE CYBERLINK!
Barry Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I will do that tonight, I wanted to create a title sequence for the end of each of my videos rather than do it over and over. My psuedonym is "Knottyfilms"! It works on so many levels! By the way, Dafydd, are you ever surprised at the volume of different glitches people run into? I used Pinnacle for a couple of YEARS on and off trying to get things right. Now []that's a forum full of hatred and vitriol. PowerDirector is much better. Less bugs. LONG LIVE CYBERLINK!
Barry

Hi Barry,

Knottyfilms.... I like it. Yes, to your question...then again maybe. I do scratch my head in wonder sometimes.

Dafydd
Don G [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Cloudcroft, New Mexico Joined: Aug 03, 2007 21:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe this should be split into two effects, since PD6 allows multiple effects to be applied to a clip. Let one effect be pan and another zoom. Give them slider-type controls kind of like that for controlling the audio volumme only make the slider 2-d for pan (a rectangle) so one could drag around the pan. Make both effects editable kind of like volume works in the Audio Mixing Room.

Given these tools, Magic Fix stabalize could be changed to build the above effects instead of being some kind of special effect. Then it would be possible to edit the results of the stabalize magic fix when it gets confused.

There seems to be a problem in PB6 applying any effect to a clip which has had magic fix applied. Also, trying to apply a second effect to and effect in the effects track really causes a mess and can crash PD6.
Trevor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2007 20:44 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys, I have pd6. When I first started editing it was in movie maker(free), as I progressed I bought extras such as pan zoom from a thrid party (pixelan). This feature is awesom. 100% perfect. If pd comes out with this feature(more control) or some other software designer for pd, I'd snap that up quick. I can do it and bring it into pd but I don't. The quality is very low in MM. Fingers crossed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2007 16:55

Don G [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Cloudcroft, New Mexico Joined: Aug 03, 2007 21:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I got into this because I was making video of my grandson just after delivery from maybe 40 feet away hand held video zoomed way in. Very shakey even with the camera's stabilization. Needed magic fix stabilize, and I needed to pan and zoom to get his little winkey out of the picture. He would kill me when he got older if I didn't.

I was able to get PD6 to do that by applying stabilize to the same clip moved to the PIP track and a black from the colorboard in the master video track (really not necessary) of the same length. I then resized the PIP clip to larger than the video screen so it completely covered the video and then some. Now I got a little extra zoom and could pan it as needed.

If I can do that in the PIP track why can't they provide it in the master video track?