Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD Menu Editor - Help!
None [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 02, 2008 21:34 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Trying to edit a standard template in PowerDirector 7 Ultra.

I'm using the built in DVD Menu Editor but can't for the life of me work out ho to edit/delet/change any of the standard text, like:
"My Videos"
"Item 1"
"Item 2"
etc.

What's worse, if I select the "Text" tool ("T") and click on the DVD menu, the DVD Menu Editor adds a blank space to the list of DVD menu Objects. That's true even if the text strings are empty. I can't even delete them.

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 02. 2008 22:19

CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

To edit the pre-existing text on the menu (i.e. My Videos, Item 1, 2, 3) you must edit it in the Create Disc main page. Once you are in the Menu Designer (after you click Modify), you cannot edit this text.

However you can add new text to your menu if required by clicking the T (Title) button. To delete newly added text, just click on it in the Set object effects tab, click on the new text in the Objects list and press the delete key on your keyboard.

Regards
David
None [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 02, 2008 21:34 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you loads David!

I was tearing my hair out on this.

Maybe it's just me, but the DVD Menu editing is kind of.....odd. You select the "Modify" option, which opens an editor...that doesn't really let you edit anything. And in the author window there are no obvious editing tools...and you can't right-mouse-click and select delete - you just have to assume the the delete key works in that context.

Am I right in thinking that you cannot save a DVD Menu with your own fixed and "standard" text....unless you save the settings in a project file? (The templates you save don't contain any of the text you change).

Maybe I need another coffee.....

Thanks for the help anyway
Raphael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 30, 2008 16:55 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
because it is junk and the product support folks refuse to respond to any advanced questions. I was going to purchase it but I intend to tell all my coworkers to get nero or something.. what a bunch of crap....every one is an expert till you get past the basic functions..
[Post New]
Raphael,

Of course your purchase decision is yours.

Just the same you need to realise that every editing program out there has it's "quirks" as well as features that some will find suits them very well.

And for customer support, no company has real "experts" on the product to help us, best support comes from forums like this and a very few dedicated folks that moderate them.

As commented above, yes, the menu editing is ... Odd.

But...Some of the templates have a look I haven't found in other editing programs and I like some of them very well. So what's the answer? Put up with a bit of "odd" and learn how to work around that to get the editing I need done.

But that's my decision. May be different from yours and a bunch of other folks but I do what works for me. I have my own issues with some things about PD7 but will either work them out for me...Or maybe I won't be able to, who knows?

Raphael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 30, 2008 16:55 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
The problem I have is the templates, and many others, do have function that we are trying to replicate. We have asked (myself and many others) how to add video to the main menu.. even how to just modify it. Since in fact it is supported.. and folks have done so.. there should be a way to modify that.
We got no response...none.. and many people ask the same question. One person spent '3 days' trying to figure it out.

If the template creators are using an alternate program to create that affect.. all they have to do is say that.. instead they just ignore the post and let people struggle. That is a sign of a poor company.

Folks should not have to rely on spare time contributors to help them... but in fact if they create a product... they should darn well support it.. even if ony in a forum

I don't think my gripe is unreasonable... at least with Nero I was able to call someone and get an answer.. not that I think Nero is as capable as PD.. but at least I can get some help
[Post New]
Seems like all I had to do was position the "scrubber" on the point on the timeline where I wanted the video to appear in the frame on one of the menu templates. I can't remember which mode I was in, the review mode or edit mode, but it works both for the main menu and the Item 1 menu.

The program when burned to disk showed the video in a frame on the right of the menu screen and the video played for several seconds from the start point I had indicated with the "scrubber". Item 1 I had renamed to "Play Program", when I clicked on that the program started at the beginning and played through. Then when the program finished it went to a second menu page that had the image on the left now and the Item 1 command as the only one visible. The motion video played on the menu same as before.

I found this while "feeling it out". My problem is I had started the editing in build 1915 and know better than to run an update patch until done. When finished I got bit by two bugs at least one of which 2105 fixes. But I cannot use the edit I finished in 1915 because the audio got out of sync.

So I get to follow my own advice to others and start over.

My point is you don't see me posting "bellyaching". I look for ways to press on and get my video done.

I do apologized for not catching what your problem was and offering the solution I just described, but I am just another forum user and often buried with one or two video projects.

Maybe the best advice is this:

"Smash forehead against keyboard to continue"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 08. 2008 18:30