Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video aspect ratio to 1:1 (480 x 480)
jvolvox [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 25, 2014 03:51 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hey guys I just bought Powerdirector 12 Ultra and was wondering how I could change the aspect ratio to 1:1 (480 x 480)? I wanted to upload videos to Vine but vine only supports 1:1 aspect ratio so when I upload my videos they look all squishy. Do higher versions of Powerdirector 12 have this option? Or could I change the aspect ratio with another software?

Thanks for your help : )

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 25. 2014 03:59

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hey guys I just bought Powerdirector 12 Ultra and was wondering how I could change the aspect ratio to 1:1 (480 x 480)?

That's available under MPEG 2 custom video...

[Thumb - Clipboard01.jpg]
 Filename
Clipboard01.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2862 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 25. 2014 14:07

[Post New]
I think you should select the aspect ratio of 4x3, PD12 will add black bars on each side.
Or if you prefer the zoom (expands the image) to have full screen. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
jvolvox [Avatar]
[Post New]
woooooooooooooow I spent like three hours last night trying to figure this out... I'm a newb.. lol

Thank you borgus1!!

Also I'll try that as well playsound

: )
jvolvox [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay so I went and changed it to 480 x 480 but it didn't actually change the aspect ratio..

I just need it to be square (1:1) even if it means losing video from the left and right edges. My camera does not have the option to shoot in 1:1 ratio so I have to convert it. The source where I'm playing the video is 1:1 ratio and if I don't have a 1:1 ratio video it compresses the left and right edges and it looks all squishy.

: (
Neurogami [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 27, 2015 21:08 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Is this the case for all versions of PowerDirector? I have PD Ultimate and cannot believe it does not let the user choose any custom aspect ratio desired.

I do not want black bars; that is not a proper solution to what has to be a fairly basic request. So how I get a custom aspect ratio without having unwanted black bars added?
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
This is not a limitation of PD.

Physical characteristics of the transformation dictate that there will be some loss of either/and quality or content, but positioning (pan and scan) can be employed to achieve the best result without distorting aspect ratio. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_and_scan

Use ZOOM, CROP, SCALE, POSITION to adjust the image.

When going from 4:3 to 16:9, and maintaining AR, some of the vertical content of the image will be cropped out if the objective is to fill the screen and eliminate the bars.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 27. 2015 21:53

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome to the forum.

Quote: Is this the case for all versions of PowerDirector? I have PD Ultimate and cannot believe it does not let the user choose any custom aspect ratio desired.

I do not want black bars; that is not a proper solution to what has to be a fairly basic request. So how I get a custom aspect ratio without having unwanted black bars added?

prepare yourself to do some math and modify the Profile.ini file.

see my tutorial -> https://youtu.be/CqYynsrvDjg

PepsiMan

'garabge in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
[Post New]
As suggested, I tried using MPEG2 480:480 to get square video.

It looked horrible!!! cry

MPEG2 is an ancient format and generally gives mpeg artifacts. Usully mpeg has weird pixel aspect ratios which is useless in modern days since modern TVs has square pixels unlike old CRTs.

But it was not that. The video was not like a 480x480, but like an upscaled blurry video even though the sourve is 1080p.

Even if it worked, 480x480 is not big enough anyway.

Finally I had to produce a 1440x1080 H.264 video and crop it using a 3rd party tool to get a square.

Pls consider adding 1:1 aspect ratio and Custom Resolution support in every format!
Alex Pilcher [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2019 07:43 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

Sorry to jump on this old thread, but it seems just as relevant today as it was 5 years ago.

Is this limitation of not providing a 1:1 aspect output still not fixed? I cannot see how to do it on PowerDirector 17 Ultra, Version 17.0.2727.0.

I am truly staggered that it is nearly 2020 and this "new & updated" software does not yet appear to cater for video production for Instagram - the most widely used visual platform in the world. Is the application constrained by legacy developments? Why wouldn't this be resolved with the updated PD 17?

Do I really have to use a third party software to crop my videos to the right size? It seems that's Cyberlink's answer if users don't want to have to mess around with special settings. So the question is then why not use that third party software in the first place? Well, because I paid good money for this product!

Does anyone know if there is a timeframe when PowerDirector will be brought into 2019 or 2020 and out of 2010?

I'm plagued with questions, and I had to double check I'm in September 2019!

I hope there's a solution imminently?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 02. 2019 21:31

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's a clear and simple workflow described here, although it does require free 3rd party tools as the current PD version (17) does not have a built-in 1:1 option.

This is a user forum, and nobody here to my knowledge has any inside info as to Cyberlink's design priorities. If anyone does, I imagine they're bound by a non-disclusure agreement of some kind, so it may be difficult to get answers to your when and why questions.

BTW, I don't think it's all that unusual to use specialized apps for specialized tasks, and I also think that enough people have been clamoring for this built-in functionality long enough that CL will likely act on it. The best way to make sure they hear your concerns is to use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions... under PD's File menu.
staffhog [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 02, 2019 18:32 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Help I am new and not sure how to navigate to correct form. I loaded PD9 and trying get started. I receive message: an error occured unable to prepare for recording. I have installed and uninstalled 3 times with no luck.

BTW, I'm pushing 80 and not to saavy on a computer.