Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
how do i burn video thats longer than 1 dvd capacity?
Heidi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2008 14:57 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, Bike trip girl here again. LOL
I have it all done! Now I need to burn my bike trip to DVD. I know this video is about 4-5 hours long! It will take more than one DVD and I want to keep the video quality looking good so I tried to burn the first disk at SP (standard play) which is 120 minutes per DVD.

I know this DVD is not long enough for the entire video, but I cannot seem to figure out how I should add more Disks. I was hoping the computer would burn the disk and stop when it gets full and ask me to insert another disk (just like when I do backups). But it didn't. It simply said there was an error, disk not big enough.

Has anyone solved this issue before? I have a viewing party for this in 2 days on saturday. I want to get this all burned to disk.

What can I do to get around this issue?

PS: Thankyou RobertJ/OZ for your help with the music question. Your video explained it all. xoxo.
Heidi
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Heidi,

Well, the first option is to use a dual layer disc, if you have that facility with your burner.

Second, you could split your video into two and make two projects,

Thirdly, select Smart Fit within the DVD write process (disc size option)

Lastly you could use a program like DVDShrink or DVD Decrypter to shrink your project.

I am sure that there are other options available, which other users may share.

Robert
PS. The Audio Room video was made by Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 02. 2008 15:08

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
4 or 5 hours?
I hope you have a bicycle basket is full of popcorn!
First off, I bet you can edit at least 30% right out. That's a good start.
Then, do what RJ says! Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
[Post New]
Single layer DVD will only hold 60mins of HQ video. If you are concerned about keeping it as best quality as you can then that is 5 DVDs or 3 DL DVDs.

Wow!!

Barry is hinting that that is a bit of a marthon session. I often have two versions. One I keep for me & those who were on the trip and then the very much edited version for the friends to watch.
Heidi [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, So my problem here is time. I cannot re-edit it and then move all the music back around again.
I appears that I cannot just put in a disk, wait for it to fill, and then add another one. I have never done all this before, So everyone's great tips are a foreign language to me. Simply: How do I do it?
So I guess one of the comments is: I can divide my video into sections and how do I do this?
I would be happy to, but how, and do I need to start all over with a new project, and do one DVD at a time?
This sounds like an all nighter. This project has been 3 months in the works. Ugh.
If I have to start all over, I guess I have to. But if there is a way to avoid this I am all ears.
I do have my project divided into chapters. 32 of them. So if someone wants to watch the Badlands, they can go there, Yellowstone, Utah, Northern Michigan, etc... So it is not that they have to watch all of it at once. I have to make 3 copies as well for the other motorcylists that came on the trip. So they can watch it all in their own time.
I have already edited out some, but then we are missing a lot of good scenery that we may never see again. This is why it is 5 hours long. 5:45 to be exact.

Please help, I just need instructions on how to do this.

I have lots of Memorex DVD+RW, 4.7GB, 120 minute video, up to 4x.
120 Minutes is for SP, standard Play, I can do 360 min of SLP Super Long Play, 240 min for EP, extended play, and of course down from there (LP,SP,XP) But I understand the quality is worse the longer the play.

***I noticed the copy that I burned on SP, Did NOT work in the DVD player at all.(I was hoping something was there, and the DVD did burn as expected). IS there something I should be aware of with PD7 on settings so that the DVD will actually play? This is all a first for me.

I am going to try and burn a copy on SLP to see if it will work, but that is still going to overfill.

xoxo, Heidi
PS: I don't think a basket will stay on a motorcycle. LOL. But thanks. Hee hee.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Heidi

Considering your given situation and knowledge of potential software that may help you, maybe try the following.
Make 6 copies of your motorcycle.pds file. Call them motorcycle1.pds, motorcycle2.pds...and so on. The attempt is to have 6 projects, one for each dvd, 1 hr of HQ video per dvd for your 5:45 hr total project.
1) launch PD7 and make sure "Link all tracks when moving/removing content in Video track" is checked in the editing preference
2) open motorcycle1.pds and keep say the first 5 chapters if they are about equal time, 1 hr on time line. Delete everything greater than 1 hr on the time line. If a chapter break is not exactly at 1 hr find the closest break and use shrink to fit option when burning to dvd if greater than 1 hr and quality is at HQ.
3) repeate the same with mortorcycle2.pds except delete say chapters 1-5 and then chapters 11-32. Keep chapters 6-10 which make up your 1hr disk 2. This pds file has the second 1 hr chunk of your video. This makes up disk 2.
4) repeate for other pds files. Each pds file just represents the next hr of your video.

Obvisouly if you are happy with SP or LP vs HQ quality, then adjust the 1 hr increments to the proper duration.

Jeff
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Jeff

Dafydd

Johnny C [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 25, 2008 14:05 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Your other option (if you have enough disk space) is to render the current project to a file (AVI or mpeg2), then start 5 new projects with each of them importing that "finished" file. Then just trim so that you have the 5 mini projects. There shouldn't really be any re-editing required and this way all of your DVD's can have a unique title screen...think of it as a boxed set.

I actually ended up doing this technique sort of in reverse. I made several projects for my wedding video. Ceremony, Speeches, Dancing, Setup...did the various editing/effects/transitions seperately then put them together on 2 dvd's.
Heidi [Avatar]
[Post New]
I wish to extend my deepest thanks to all you wonderful guys that have helped me over the months to complete my 5 HOUR Motorcycle trip out west (America). I wanted to let the guys know I did break up the videos into three 3rds. It worked! So I do have 3 Dvds of the trip.

Everyone at my party was so impressed and it was a hit. We had a tragity in our family, one of our family members that was also on the bike trip (my husbands brother-in-law, Gary) passed away suddenly just days after our party. My sister-in-law (mary) actually requested her copies to be played at the funeral home. (I didn't think she would even want to watch it, because of the loss of her husband). But it played on, and everyone just enjoyed it immensily! I got awesome comments all over the place and it has been very valuable to Mary to treasure the memories of her husband of 24 years.

This bike trip was a once in a lifetime trip out NorthWest America. 5 of us, all family, took this trip in 2 weeks on the backs of our motorcycles. The Sony camcorder held up on the road moving at speeds up to 80mph. The color and pictures perfect! So this DVD was to watch for years to come and enjoy. We never thought it would be so emotional, not knowing that Gary would be gone like this so soon in his young life (49).

So again, Thank you from the bottom of my heart guys, for all your help, your quick responses so I could get this DVD complete, and Gary was able to watch it before he died.

I don't know why there is no manual to read on how to use the PD7, and the help menue is very vague. So this Cyberlink is so invaluable and all of you great people are here to help us "first time users". I look forward to finishing some more dvds for freinds and family since I have a wedding reception, 4th of july celebrations and more on there.

Hugs and Kisses to you all. Bless You!!
Heidi Hanna