Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produced video aspect ratio does not match oryginal
[Post New]
I try to produce an extract from a longer video.
Original video aspect ratio is 16:9 so my project setting is the same.
I produce my result video to WMV format and to my surprise, result video's aspect ratio is 4:3
I have checked all clips aspect ratios and they are set to 16:9
I do not understand it.. What do I do wrong? _______________________________
regards, Tom
(PD365, Win10 Pro x64, Dell Precision T3500, Xeon W3670, 12GB, SSD)
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I try to produce an extract from a longer video.

Confirming. Your project's aspect ratio is set to 16 X 9 here?

[Thumb - 1.JPG]
 Filename
1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
359 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 14. 2014 13:08

[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I try to produce an extract from a longer video.

Confirming. Your project's aspect ratio is set to 16 X 9 here?

Yes, and clip aspect ratio as well.
[Thumb - 2014-08-14 23_27_13-Clip Aspect Ratio Settings.png]
 Filename
2014-08-14 23_27_13-Clip Aspect Ratio Settings.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
24 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
349 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14. 2014 17:34

Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Check the setting of your PLAYER, to see if it may be doing a 4X3 conversion.

Can you upload a snippet of the video to an http or ftp server and link it here? Folks will check it out.
[Post New]
Thanks borgus1 for your suggestion. While trying to produce proper samples as you suggested, I've found out possible cause..

Maybe this result is caused by encoder settings? I try to produce using WMV profile with 720x576 frame size and it is 5x4 ratio (4x3 is close so I thought that was it).

What do you think? _______________________________
regards, Tom
[Post New]
Yes this is the case though I am surprised, that PD offers aspect ratio formats which do not match project settings. It would be nice it shows a warning like it does in other cases i.e. frame rates difference.

BTW
Why do profiles exist like

DV-AVI 720x480
AVC 2048x1080
WMV 720x576

They do not match any of PD aspect ratios (16:9 nor 4:3)

Is this standard for PD, that it produces result movie of the aspect ratio set in encoder profile?
I thought it would add some black borders top-bottom or right-left to fit encoder settings and keep aspect ratio set for project.

If such behavior is standard, what is project setting (aspect ratio) for?
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tom -

I'm not sure what happened with your original production turning out to be 4:3, given that your project & source clips were 16:9.

Those profiles you mentioned (DV-AVI 720x480, AVC 2048x1080, WMV 720x576) do produce 16:9 videos. Using the same 16:9 source video, I just produced to each of those profiles. They all display as 16:9 (even though MediaInfo says the WMV is 5:4)

The profiles don't "look like" 16:9 because the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) is non-square. For example, in the DV-AVI 720x480 profile the PAR isn't 1:1 (square) - it's 0.899:1

This explains the basics - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc294571.aspx

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Now I remember. We talked about it a while ago. It explains a lot.
Strange thing is, that when I play my clips using Windows Media Player, they have proper aspect ratio but when using my favorite player (Bestplayer) they are narrower. Probably it cannot process non-square pixels

The most important is, that the same happens when I upload my clips to Youtube. They end up narrower

In this case correct me if I'm wrong please.
When I want to produce 16:9 aspect ratio clip to upload to Youtube, assuming it doesn't process non-square pixels, I should create WMV profile with 16:9 frame size and produce clip using it, shouldn't I? _______________________________
regards, Tom
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I have trouble remembering things too!

If it's for YouTube, choose a profile that uses square pixels. My understanding is that the YouTube player cannot interpret non-square PAR, so it will display incorrectly.

With WMV on YouTube, there have been quite a few issues like the one you've describerd. Often, you can get around it by adding "yt:stretch=16:9" as a tag in your video.

By the way, I just tested BESTplayer with the 16:9 WMVs - and you're right - it doesn't interpret the PAR properly. I can't read Polish so I can't work out if there's a setting that can be changed. VLC, MPC, WMP, GOP all display them as 16:9.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 15. 2014 18:24

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Thanks a lot Tony! _______________________________
regards, Tom
[Post New]
Quote: With WMV on YouTube, there have been quite a few issues like the one you've describerd. Often, you can get around it by adding "yt:stretch=16:9" as a tag in your video.

This tag works like a charm! _______________________________
regards, Tom