Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
.MTS file converter? And to what file type?
Dinarius [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 07, 2014 04:29 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I am using a Sony RX100 camera to shoot video.

It is creating .MTS files.

I will be editing them in PowerDirector Ultimate.

Currently, I am using the trial version.

The Import dialog in the Trial Version of PDU does not offer any option to convert the files to another format - however, it does play them fine.

That said, I have been told that .MTS is a compressed format and the files should be converted to ensure maximum quality.

So, can someone please recommend a file conversion App, preferably free! I've found both of these...

http://www.movavi.com/support/how-to/how-to-convert-mts-video.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwx4yfBRCt2rrAs-P5vtkBEiQAOdFXbf-FbIoqltr_FJ6Y9ul7cQyfN1e4AL1BIJC6gHXucv4aAmO08P8HAQ

http://www.wondershare.net/ad/video-converter-ultimate/index_both.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwx4yfBRCt2rrAs-P5vtkBEiQAOdFXbfyI3evxt_F1IsLLP1LgJKxTBDa-GEUbHz4lDD-4t7QaAsVd8P8HAQ

...any good?

Secondly, what file format should I convert the files to?

Many thanks.

D.

Ps. And given the large increase in file size on conversion, is it OK to edit in .MTS and not bother converting?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 07. 2014 05:22

Windows 10Pro x64; i6800k; GTX1070; 64Gb RAM; 256GB and 512GB SSDs; 2 x 4TB Storage:
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am using a Sony RX100 camera to shoot video.
It is creating .MTS files.
I will be editing them in PowerDirector Ultimate.
Currently, I am using the trial version.
The Import dialog in the Trial Version of PDU does not offer any option to convert the files to another format - however, it does play them fine.
That said, I have been told that .MTS is a compressed format and the files should be converted to ensure maximum quality.
So, can someone please recommend a file conversion App, preferably free! I've found both of these...
...any good?
Secondly, what file format should I convert the files to?
Many thanks.
D.
Ps. And given the large increase in file size on conversion, is it OK to edit in .MTS and not bother converting?

Hi Dinarius ,
The full version of PDR12 will convert video files into a number of formats in the Produce section.

What is the purpose, what is the aim and why do you need to convert your video into a different format? An editor should keep the original asis for as long as possible before rendering to a finished file.
Dafydd

Dinarius [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

I'm a total newbie to video.

I was told that, for quality reasons, I should convert before editing.

If it's OK to convert afterwards, then that's great. It will save a lot of space.

So, if I understand you correctly, I can edit now in .MTS and then convert when finished.

What format should I convert to? e.g. For YouTube? And for burning to DVD?

Many thanks.

D. Windows 10Pro x64; i6800k; GTX1070; 64Gb RAM; 256GB and 512GB SSDs; 2 x 4TB Storage:
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Dafydd,
I'm a total newbie to video.
I was told that, for quality reasons, I should convert before editing.
If it's OK to convert afterwards, then that's great. It will save a lot of space.
So, if I understand you correctly, I can edit now in .MTS and then convert when finished.
What format should I convert to? e.g. For YouTube? And for burning to DVD?
Many thanks.
D.

Hi Dinarius,
You should not convert your video before editing, there are some exceptions and they are very few and don't apply to the video you have recorded. The mts files you have are likely to be 1920x1080 a HD format, known as 1080p. That is a very good resolution and one that will play well on your HD Tv. You can use that format to create BluRay discs or an HD video (PDR produced) played via a USB TV connected device.

I'll answer the YouTube and DVD question but I'd like you to provide some additional information as well.

1. YouTube, you can upload via PowerDirector however it'll convert and upload a wmv (windows file format). The best way in my view is to upload via your YouTube account, an HDlite mp4 file, 720p, that'll give you a better video quality, larger file to upload though.
2. DVD, a DVD uses a compression format called mpeg2 and in a PAL region the frame size is 720x576, much smaller than the original 1920x1080 you have. There is going to be a large loss of quality and will be a lower quality than what I've suggested for you to upload to YouTube even.
PowerDirector can produce all the above with reasonable ease so long as you have a capable computer. For HD there is an optional setting for those with lower powered computers. Now to my question.

Please see the guide, Part B and provide the information requested. It'll allow us to assess your computer/editing machine and what is your best approach. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page

I hope some of the above helps.
Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 07. 2014 06:56

Dinarius [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

It all helps!

I'm really enjoying this.

I now have another question about separating sound and image which I'll post elsewhere.

Many thanks!

D. Windows 10Pro x64; i6800k; GTX1070; 64Gb RAM; 256GB and 512GB SSDs; 2 x 4TB Storage:
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Dafydd,

It all helps!

I'm really enjoying this.

I now have another question about separating sound and image which I'll post elsewhere.

Many thanks!

D.

Good to know.
Remember the requested information - really will help you.
Dafydd