Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
edit point glitches
rcohen [Avatar]
Member Location: Smokey mountains, TN Joined: Oct 10, 2013 21:44 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
I have a problem with what I consider a "challenged" video output. I have an i5 with 28GB and, a GenForce GTX 770 with 4GB on board. I did not have this problem prior to installing the latest patch.

I am sure my problems are with my current config and also the fact that at this moment, I am a single HD operation. I have an SSD in the drawer but am needing a hole in my schedule to do the switch over. I acquire, edit and output to MP4, 1920/30 frames (16Mbps) and the glitches I see during preview are ALSO showing in the output ;-( Output was fine prior to the latest update. The video jumps at the point where a video overlaps the first layer, despite the fact that the transition has yet to happen. The transitions themselves are clean.

My interface and preview are also riddled by a struggling graphics output to the point where sometimes when loading a lot of HD clips the interface doesn't refresh well and I have to inconify the interface and bring it back into focus to force a redraw.

This baffles me because I tried to the best of my ability to purchase enough resources to avoid this issue .... and so I believe this is a configuration issue, but I don't even know what to look for.

I have verified that I have the latest patch, etc. But so far, once after updating my magic music feature locked me up (without the recovery file operating upon return). I am licensed Sonicfire and am fully operational in that regard.

I appreciate any and all help in this matter.

Cheers

rcohen RCMedia Services dot net
Most Anything Digital
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Please post your DxDiag, which will help us determine how well you computer is doing overall. It's possible that something went wrong with Windows or your video driver, even though it seems related to installing the new patch. Video editing requires pretty much everything to be solid "under the hood" and sometimes people only find out that their Windows installation is damaged when PD doesn't work. Everything else may seem fine...

Also, please post a screenshot (if possible) if you can capture any of the issues you're seeing. That will go a long way towards helping other people understand what's going on for you.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
rcohen [Avatar]
Member Location: Smokey mountains, TN Joined: Oct 10, 2013 21:44 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the help...

The short report is: (the full report is attached)

Time of this report: 7/14/2014, 18:51:42
Machine name: HI5
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: 700-074
BIOS: 80.03
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 28672MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 28594MB RAM
Page File: 2428MB used, 26565MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

Nothing to screen capture... the stills are fine, but when you run the live video, most (not all) of the edit points jump slightly. I'm trying to turn this into a very capable editing machine, and I know the installation of the SSD will help a lot, but I don't think what I have right NOW should result in glitchy output.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Respectfully,

rcohen
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
68 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
276 time(s)
RCMedia Services dot net
Most Anything Digital
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
rcohen Thanks very much for the DxDiag report. You certainly have a powerful machine (even without the SSD) and your video editing experience should be solid.

There are 3 areas where I'd like to focus:

1) Your video driver is up-to-date, but you're still running Win 8 rather than 8.1 (and the very significant update that was released a couple months ago). I'm not suggesting that this is the cause of the glitches you're seeing, but it is something to consider because Win 8 is not going to be as deeply supported as 8.1 and there were some big changes in the structure of the OS.

2) There are a large number of "Fault Buckets" (aka BSOD/Blue Screens [Of Death]) that your computer has experienced; all of them cause by a program called "Updater.exe." I can't tell if that was the PD updater or something else, and the DxDiag only records that most recent 9 crashes, so it seems likely that there were more before this.

There are a number of causes for significant crashes like this, and it may help to open an Administrator-level command prompt then type and run "SFC /scannow" (without the quotes). That will run Windows' System File Checker which will inspect and hopefully repair any damage it finds to the protected OS files.

You may want to uninstall PD (along with Quicktime, SmartSound, Wave Editor, etc.) and reboot, then reinstall the original version that you downloaded from Cyberlink. Accept all the prompts to reinstall the support programs, and then finally apply the 2930 patch. Be sure to have the email with the license key handy!

3) If you're still having playback issues, be sure you turn of Shadow Files (from the Settings/gear menu) and try setting the preview mode quality to High or HD. Full HD will almost always be choppy even on fast machines unless you select non-realtime preview, and then you won't have sound.

Hopefully, something I've written will make a difference for you

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2014 19:40

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

rcohen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the validation on my thinking (regarding the fact that this machine SHOULD work fine).

I am about to install that SSD and reinstall everything from scratch...

I have not taken 8.1 over the finish line because I was one of those that got bit by MS during that first upgrade run and it BRICKED my machine badly.... I lost EVERYTHING and had to reset. And so I have been a bit gunshy about the upgrade, but ... when I reset this box in a week or so, I'll surely address that.

Thanks for the looksee!

r RCMedia Services dot net
Most Anything Digital
optodata
[Post New]
I've been through mangled updates before, so I know your pain The good news is that it should only take an hour or so to get through the main installation, although it may take longer to get all your other programs installed, updated and (re)personalized.

I'm sure that your new install will run much better, and here are some thoughts based on my experience and others in the forum:

• Install your SSD, then install Win 8. If possible, install Windows to your SSD and leave all your personal files on the existing HDD(s). Make a backup!
  • Run Windows update/use the Windows store to get 8.1. Make a backup!
  • Run Windows update to get the 8.1 Update and all related security patches. Make a backup!
  • Install the latest nVidia driver, then install PD and related programs. Make a backup!
  • Install the 2930 patch and test. Make a backup! This will rule out any patch-related problems as you can simply restore the previous backup if needed
  • Install all other apps and software, and you guessed it, make a backup!

• Everything on OneDrive and all your apps from the Windows store will automatically be installed and updated, so there's less of a need to back those up.

One final thought - if you have purchased any NewBlueFX for PD12 (or earlier), you must deactivate their licenses before you can reuse them on your new installation. If you didn't explicitly purchase any FX or bundles from NewBlue, you're OK and there's no need to worry about deactivating the Visual Essentials 1, 2 and 3 that came bundled with PD Ultimate or above.

Good luck!

YouTube/optodata

rcohen [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    You got me thinking about taking a closer look at the frame by frame and I think I may have discovered a small bug?

I am learning to shoot with a steadicam rig and am therefore using the image stabilization feature of PD on a semi-regular basis. Most of my transitions are simple crossfades, and I allow PD to handle that for me automagically by overlapping the clips. It is at THESE junctures that my video seems to glitch but at closer look I think the image stabilization disengages but just for a few frames (or perhaps the length of the crossfade?) which of course makes it LOOK like a jump/glitch. If this is happening then this is why it began to happen after the upgrade, as the last version did not display that issue.

Can someone please verify this for me so I know I'm not the only one?

If this is the case, is there some way to downgrade without having to REinstall ?

Thanks a bunch.

Most Anything Digital
    optodata
    [Post New]
    Fascinating. I've never used the overlap/auto transition and I don't even think I knew that existed. What happens if you place the clips end-to-end and manually apply a cross or overlap transition in the new version? Does it matter if you change the default type to the other setting?

As to the reinstall question, you'll need to uninstall PD completely, then install the original version and apply the previous patch (or one of the beta patches). PM me if you need to get a specific version.

Great find

YouTube/optodata

rcohen [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Not sure what you mean by "Default type", but another thought occurred to me. Could also be a change in frame rate? I have some altered video speeds in places.... I can't quite determine what the repeatable sequence is, as some transitions are fine, and others are not. But again this did not happen prior to the update.

I have no idea how using transitions directly would change the process as this is a wedding and it has a LOT of edits. I'm surely not going to reassemble it using another method at this point ; It's not even a paid wedding... I don't usually DO weddings anymore (after a 17 year burnout, 23 years ago) but this was a favor. What I am hoping is to reset my machine, STOP at the older version and re render .... phew. gotta love software ;-0

BUT, I think I may join you and STOP using the overlapping auto mode and use the hardset transitions, at least until they fix that annoyance.

I'll keep my eye out for more clues ; If the files weren't huge, I'd send em over to ya.

Cheers

r

RCMedia Services dot net
    Most Anything Digital
    optodata
    [Post New]
    This:

YouTube/optodata

rcohen [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Yep, that's the one ; I just took a closer look at pixelans products. WOW. I may just eliminate this issue and NOT use overlaps anymore, as I play with each clips "artistic" attributes so I use a lot of time altered and filtered footage, and apparently Cyberlinks ability to dissolve between those cleanly is a bit challenged. No issue, at least I now know what I need to work around ;

Gonna attempt to do that SSD upgrade in a while. Phew.... time for a total reset. Thanks for the advice in that regard, much appreciated.

Back to drooling over pixelan's products. I see a few I must have NOW ; What other third party products do you guys know of ? ;

Cheers

Most Anything Digital
    rcohen [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    And the plot thickens. The problem is NOT just with overlaps... and I DO hope that this can be fixed soon as it's a major issue, at least with me. ANY clip in another layer that runs "on top of" the master footage causes a SHIFT in the stabilized master footage and makes it look like a glitch. Even worse, setting that cutaway track to invisible (via the check box) does NOT correct the problem.

I am new here on the forum... do key people from Cyberlink read this stuff? If not, where can I report this issue?

Again, thanks for your assist with this.

rcohen

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 15. 2014 19:24

RCMedia Services dot net
    Most Anything Digital
    optodata
    [Post New]
    Yes, Pixelan makes some very nice transitions and FX. I have the trans bundle (DissolveMaster, SpiceMaster 2.5 Pro, 3D SixPack) along with the CreativeEase 4-pack. They are extremely versatile and easy to use :

YouTube/optodata

rcohen [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    I see that the time effects and another (from the CreativeEase pack) are not compatible with PD ;-( I may purchase the trans bundle though....

Thanks

Most Anything Digital
    rcohen [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    OK, I managed to get 8.1 and the SSD on the box. It's almost time to install PD and other goodies. Not sure if I'll get this answer in time, but I'll ask it anyway ;

What is the best use of a system with a 240 SSD and a 2TB HDD.... so I install the programs on the system drive for speed? Or do I install them on the HDD to leave room on the SSD for the system / temp stuff? And I would image leaving the temp files on the SSD would optimize the speed ? Or, am I missing the mark here?

Thanks for your advice.

rcohen
    RCMedia Services dot net
    Most Anything Digital
    optodata
    [Post New]
    It sounds like you're on the mark

You'll definitely want to install 8.1 and all programs/apps on C: to get the most benefit from your SSD. You should see a boot time of 8-10 seconds and have programs like office and PD launch in just a second or two. There's just no going back to HDDs once you have that!

For videos, I had invested in a 1TB SSD and it's super fast at transferring clips, but typically PD and video players only need to read from the clip at it's playback speed, which is well within the transfer rate of HDDs.

Having the temp files on your SSD would give you the biggest system-level boost, although that will also cause the most wear as there are a limited (although very high) number of writes for each memory location. If your SSD came with management software (like Samsung's Magician), use "overprovisioning" to set aside 10 or 15% of your SSD to allow it to spread all those writes from the temporary files across a wider range of memory locations.

Another option is to use a RAM drive for your temp files and even videos if you have lots of RAM. A RAM drive is 10x faster than an SSD and has unlimited write cycles, but the contents are volatile and won't be saved after a crash.

Let us know how it goes!

YouTube/optodata

rcohen [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Glad to report...

The upgrade to SSD went well, but took FOREVER... I decided to go for 8.1 upgrade since I was resetting anyway, and FIRST, I had over 100 updates to get to that point. This may have been partially contributory to the issues I was having. But all those glitches vanished and things seem to be going well so far.

Still have that annoying interface issue, but I suppose that livable... I do hope the company manages to resolve that issue in the coming version. With machines like the i series out, and folks using higher end graphics cards, there really isn't an excuse for that.

Would also like to see some effort put into the real time "scrubbing" of a time line without a resource struggle for the same reasons. If other titles can manage that, and on older equipment, then so too can PD. OK, charge more for that "feature" if that's what it takes, but having to fight your computer to scrub your project is VERY annoying. And even those of you with i7's are commenting about this on this forum, so I doubt my experience here is due to my i5.

Thanks to those who have helped me figure this thing out and for the tips. And now... I suppose I should get to doing some actual work <grin>

Cheers

Most Anything Digital