Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dealing with the replacement for DVDs
bryanhiggs [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2011 16:04 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
[Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I couldn't find another that was appropriate. Please feel free to move this to the proper forum, or tell me where to move it to.]

It's been clear for some time that DVDs are (eventually) on their way out. What brought this to a head in my mind was a recent attempt to show a video DVD at a Nursing Home, where the DVD gave problems and eventually wouldn't play. We plan to go back and finish showing the video, but I thought "How about I figure out what to use instead of a DVD, and thus avoid those issues of DVDs (or the player) failing".

So, then I thought I'd look into something to use instead of a DVD player, such as a Roku (or equivalent), with either built-in storage or a USB port from which I could play a video. (Using a WiFi wasn't on, and doesn't really solve the problem anyway, with my own videos.)

But then it occurred to me that, by moving away from a DVD, I'm also -- seemingly -- moving away from the ability to use a menu. I know I can simply manually choose different videos, but it's a lot clunkier than a DVD menu system, especially with the primitive remotes these things typically have.

So, here's the question: What would be appropriate to replace a DVD with, that would include a menu system roughly equivalent to what I would have with a DVD?

And, of course, how would PowerDirector help me to accomplish this? (Apologies if I'm missing something here...)

It would seem that the folks at CyberLink would be on top of this transition, with plans to produce a new version of their products with such support -- or at least asking the same questions.

Any wisdom to share?

Thanks!
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
There are many reasons why a DVD may have issues playing. Bad burn, incompatibility with player and DVD BRAND, DVD- vs DVD+, finger prints, Older DVD player with not enough buffer RAM, Video with too high bitrate for player. And I'm sure many other reasons.

DVD specs are still part of the Bluray specs for backward compatibility so I wouldn't give up on DVD playback yet.

As you have found out, Android OS systems like smart TVs and players (Roku etc) have no way to show a menu. Years ago DivX format supported menus, but hardly any players or hardware supported. Hardly anyone uses DivX anymore. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with what GGRussell said.

Bluray is the next thing. Bluray supports High Definition Video. The Menu System is much the same as a DVD Menu.
PowerDirector does create BluRay Video disks. Select 2D > BluRay in the Create Disk Module.
You must have a BluRay Burner and BluRay Disks.

You must have a BluRay Player to play BluRay Disks. DVD players will not play a BluRay disk.
BluRay players also play standard DVD.

You might want to read the specs on a standard DVD. All DVD players are supposed to support these specs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

BluRay:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluray Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

bryanhiggs [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2011 16:04 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I appreciate the answers to this, but they don't really address my question.

I know the reasons for why DVDs can fail to play. I wasn't asking about that.

I know that there are BluRay disks, but they are essentially just a slightly enhanced kind of DVD.

The future is in streaming; just look where the younger element are going. It won't be long before they won't know what a DVD looks like; they already don't care about them.

Anyone with a reasonably powerful WiFi router can set up a DLNA media streaming setup for display of videos and other media on an HD TV, and it's far more flexible than DVDs or BluRay.

For example, here's one person's view on the future: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120821/19130920119/dvd-is-dying-hollywoods-plan-do-nothing-cede-ground-to-file-sharing.shtml

So, how will CyberLink and PowerDirector work in a future where DVDs and BluRay are no longer important? Not only is this important for CyberLink's future success (remember the buggy whip?), it's important for its customers, too.

It's not really a case of Android or Smart TVs or Roku not being able to show menus (although that may be the case right now). It's about someone coming up with a standard way to do it with streaming, and it has to be independent of what hardware or operating system I might use. NetFlix, Vudu, and the rest have their own menu systems, such as they are, but they are proprietary and incompatible. They solve the problem for their products; our home-produced videos need a solution, too.

So, is the simple answer that no one has done this yet? No one is planning to do this yet? If so, I'm amazed that something that would seem to be so obvious is waiting for someone to solve. Perhaps CyberLink could become a leader in this area? After all, surely there has to be something that replaces DVDs and BluRay in the streaming arena?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I appreciate the answers to this, but they don't really address my question.

I know the reasons for why DVDs can fail to play. I wasn't asking about that.

I know that there are BluRay disks, but they are essentially just a slightly enhanced kind of DVD.

The future is in streaming; just look where the younger element are going. It won't be long before they won't know what a DVD looks like; they already don't care about them.

Anyone with a reasonably powerful WiFi router can set up a DLNA media streaming setup for display of videos and other media on an HD TV, and it's far more flexible than DVDs or BluRay.

For example, here's one person's view on the future: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120821/19130920119/dvd-is-dying-hollywoods-plan-do-nothing-cede-ground-to-file-sharing.shtml

So, how will CyberLink and PowerDirector work in a future where DVDs and BluRay are no longer important? Not only is this important for CyberLink's future success (remember the buggy whip?), it's important for its customers, too.

It's not really a case of Android or Smart TVs or Roku not being able to show menus (although that may be the case right now). It's about someone coming up with a standard way to do it with streaming, and it has to be independent of what hardware or operating system I might use. NetFlix, Vudu, and the rest have their own menu systems, such as they are, but they are proprietary and incompatible. They solve the problem for their products; our home-produced videos need a solution, too.

So, is the simple answer that no one has done this yet? No one is planning to do this yet? If so, I'm amazed that something that would seem to be so obvious is waiting for someone to solve. Perhaps CyberLink could become a leader in this area? After all, surely there has to be something that replaces DVDs and BluRay in the streaming arena?

Hi bryanhiggs,
I have a Bluray burner on my PC and I don't use it for either DVD or Bluray discs. Both in my view are defunct technology, I use the USB connection on my TV's to play/share my HD video and I create streaming video for (private) sharing with family/friends/clients (I could of course share publicly). I have no need to make DVD's etc.
Perhaps I'm being to focused on Streaming video, as it has been my interest for many years.
Dafydd
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
I find streaming too much trouble. ALL Video has to be transcoded. And then what file might play on Samsung might not play on LG. add to that network traffic which can interrupt video streaming. One day streaming works fine and next day I would be lucky if the TV even connected to the router.

I can create a disc with no menu and most of my Canon or Sony files don't need transcoding at all. My Sony camera actually records to Bluray folder structure and I can burn from camera to Bluray directly with Imgburn. Put the disc into the player, The TV switches automatically to the correct input and it plays. No fumbling with any remote.

For streaming, I have to press the SMART button on the remote. Navigate to Samsung Link. Then choose which device. Then navigate folders and files on DLNA to select the video.

Thanks but I'll stick to disc for my personal family video. I do record TV Shows for my sister, but those files would have to be transcoded no matter which media I chose. I transcode the .WTV files to MP4 so I can squeeze more on a data disc. Her Bluray reads and plays those back fine.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 07. 2014 08:30

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
I never make disks any more, except in very special circumstances. Like Dafydd, I'm pretty sure that disks, both DVD and Blu-Ray, will disappear before long. I post videos for sharing, with a recommendation that they be downloaded to a USB drive, on Google Drive, MS OneDrive or Dropbox (who had better increase their free space if they want to compete). I include disk images for those who insist on making disks, but I doubt if you can buy a TV nowadays without USB ports, and MP4 and M2TS files can (or should) be read by any of them.

Menus will probably be available for these types of files soon, and I suppose they are useful in some circumstances, but I've never felt the need of them for my purposes. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
Alpine310 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia Joined: Feb 02, 2013 05:52 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
This is what I use for all forms of media. Showing and watching downloaded films or TV shows. Watching my own home made videos, photos etc and it also provides access to other things such as Netlflicks etc.

I can stream wirelessly from my own PC or play the content from a USB or HDD. The options are endless. If I understand the original posters question, I think this is the way of the future.

Disks will be obsolete very soon I believe.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330