Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Re-processing old 8mm movies
Doctor Keo
Newbie Location: Paphos, Cyprus Joined: May 25, 2014 08:07 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I have several of my father’s old 8mm film which was put on DVD a long time ago – sadly the original film was destroyed. I would like to use the power of PD 12 to improve the video. Most of the video has serious camera shake. When the film was transferred to disk a date was put on about 90% down on the left hand corner, which of course ‘dances’ around if use the stabilizer. I am reluctant to crop the video to remove the date as proportionately I will lose so much of the video. Are there any solutions, without spending huge amounts on software, or am I just dreaming?
Thanks
Doctor Keo
HP Pro 3130 i5 650 @ 320Ghz
12GB RAM
Nvidia GT 520
PowerDiirector 13
Windows 7 64 bit
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Is the date/time stamp a different color compared to most of the video content? Maybe you could chroma it out.
I did a tutorial of sorts showing a method I came up with to remove glare, it might help.
I suggest you could also blur out the stamp, while NOT stabilizing, produce a file, THEN you can stabilize, re produce, the blurred/altered stamp should then be less apparent as it jumps around.

The "TooTorial".
Removing a time stamp was always an idea for this, but I don't know if anybody ever tried it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2014 08:16

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have several of my father’s old 8mm film which was put on DVD a long time ago – sadly the original film was destroyed. I would like to use the power of PD 12 to improve the video. Most of the video has serious camera shake. When the film was transferred to disk a date was put on about 90% down on the left hand corner, which of course ‘dances’ around if use the stabilizer. I am reluctant to crop the video to remove the date as proportionately I will lose so much of the video. Are there any solutions, without spending huge amounts on software, or am I just dreaming?
Thanks
Doctor Keo

How far does the date 'dance'?

An idea would be to stabilize the video, then produce the stabilized video.

Bring that video back to the timeline, put a color board the size of the 'dance'. Add the date back as a Title.
You would no longer have a transparent date but you would have a date that does not 'dance'.
And you would not have to crop the video. You would just lose the video under the Color Board.

Barry's solution works very well on the video he repaired. His result was amazing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2014 10:15

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Doctor Keo
Newbie Location: Paphos, Cyprus Joined: May 25, 2014 08:07 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Thanks for your suggestions - I did watch Barry's video, but i can't see how I can apply that as the background changes so often - I seem to recall that the Super 8 (?) film was short and expensive - so maybe that is why each scene is short.

I have tried VirtualDub's Logoaway which seems to have some success - although I need to learn to use the setting on VirtualDub. I did try to upload the results of a ten second sample, but that failed (Maybe my Internet bandwidth)

Thanks

Doc HP Pro 3130 i5 650 @ 320Ghz
12GB RAM
Nvidia GT 520
PowerDiirector 13
Windows 7 64 bit